2023 2024 Student Forum > Management Forum > Study Abroad

1st February 2017, 04:25 PM
Super Moderator

Re: TOEFL Vs IELTS Easier

The Test of English as a Foreign Language TOEFL and International English Language Testing System IELTS are two of the most widely-accepted tests to certify your English proficiency.

Both test the four main language skills: reading, writing, listening and speaking. They are both standardised tests which- in theory- means that the scores are consistent throughout the world.

This is probably the biggest difference between the two tests. In the IELTS test you will talk to a real person and in the TOEFL test you will speak to a computer!

Some people find talking to a computer very strange while others actually prefer it.

It is difficult to compare the TOEFL and the IELTS directly. A better way to find the answer to this question is to ask yourself a few questions.

Answer the following questions with a simple “yes” or “no.”

I am comfortable with computers. YES/NO
I am comfortable speaking extemporaneously into a microphone. YES/NO
I can type quickly. YES/NO
I prefer standard American English. YES/NO
I am good at answering multiple-choice questions. YES/NO
It is easy for me to take notes from a recording. YES/NO
The authentic English sources I read/listen to/watch are usually intended to inform rather than entertain. YES/NO

If you answered YES to most of these questions, the TOEFL is probably the best fit for your skill set.

I am comfortable having a detailed interview in-person. YES/NO
I have legible English handwriting. YES/NO
I can understand a variety of dialects of English. YES/NO
I prefer tests with many question types, including multiple choice, fill-in-the-blank, matching, true/false, and flowcharts. YES/NO
I feel most comfortable discussing non-academic topics in English. YES/NO
The authentic English sources that I read/listen to/watch are usually made to entertain. YES/NO

If you answered YES to most of these questions, then you might find the IELTS to be more up your alley.

Quick Reply
Your Username: Click here to log in