2023 2024 Student Forum > Management Forum > Main Forum

3rd September 2018, 11:45 AM
Unregistered

Re: TIFR Question Paper Chemistry

Hello sir, Im looking for Tata Institute of Fundamental Research Question Paper for Chemistry. Is there any one can provide me Question Paper Chemistry for TIFR?
3rd September 2018, 11:46 AM
Super Moderator

Re: TIFR Question Paper Chemistry

The Tata Institute of Fundamental Research is provides its old Question Paper for Chemistry.

The Tata Institute of Fundamental Research was conceived and founded by the distinguished Indian Scientist Dr. Homi Bhabha in June 1945.

In 1962, the Institute shifted to its present picturesque campus at Colaba on the shores of the Arabian Sea.

Question Paper Chemistry for TIFR:

1. X-ray diffraction (XRD) is a widely used technique to analyse the structure of slids. In an XRD experiment, a solid crystal is irradiated with monochromatic X-rays and the resulting data consists of diffraction spots. These bright spots occur due to the explanation given by which ONE of the following statements?
(a) X-rays are being absorbed by the crystal and the structure in turn emits radiation at specific wavelengths
(b) X-rays are being refracted through the crystal and the rays bend at specific angles
(c) X-rays are being scattered by individual atoms in the solid
(d) None of the above

2. Which of the following is not correct with regard to the uncertainty principle?
(a) An electron in an atom cannot be defined by a well-defined orbit
(b) The momentum of an electron cannot be measured exactly
(c) A harmonic oscillator possesses a zero-point energy
(d) Measurement of one variable in an atomic system can affect subsequent measurements of certain other variables

3. Which of the following belong to the same symmetry group as NH3?
(a) BF3
(b) CH4
(c) CH3O (d) CHCl3

4. What is the product of the following reaction?

7. The volume of a parallelepiped formed by three polar vectors: A = 1i + 2j , B = 4k , and C = 2i + 4j is
(a) 20 cubic units (b) 40 cubic units (c) 12 cubic units (d) 0 cubic units

8. For an one-dimensional quantum-mechanical harmonic oscillator
(a) Average linear momentum is nonzero but average displacement is zero.
(b) Average linear momentum is zero and average displacement is zero.
(c) Average linear momentum is zero but average displacement is nonzero
(d) Average linear momentum and average displacement both are non-zero.

9. Suppose you are carrying out an experiment measuring the Raman spectrum of N2 gas in the outdoor air. Where would you find a higher strength of the anti-Stokes line:
(a) In Kanyakumari (b) On top of Mt. Everest
(c) The strength will be the same in both the places
(d) Nitrogen would not have an anti-Stokes Raman line

10. If two identical vessels (placed at the same horizontal level) containing water at two different levels are connected by a pipe at time zero by opening the valve slightly, how would the water levels equalize with time (t)? h g opened at t = 0 Fig.
(a) Linearly with t (b) Exponentially with t
(c) As tn, where t is time and n is an integer (d) Proportional to t*sin(t)

11. Predict the feasible product/products of the following bio-conjugation reaction.
(a) 1, 2, and, 3 (b) 1 only (c) 2, 3 and 4 (d) 1 and 2

12. An organic compound (C9H10O3 ) exhibited the following spectral data: IR: 3400, 1680 cm-I; 'H-NMR: 7.8 (1 H, doublet, J =8 Hz), 7.0 (1 H, doublet, J = 8 Hz), 6.5 (1 H, singlet), 5.8 (1 H, singlet, D2O exchangeable), 3.9 (3 H, singlet), 2.3 (3 H, singlet). The compound is,

13. The restriction enzyme EcoRI recognizes and cuts a six basepair long DNA sequence (GAATTC). You are given a bacterial genome which is 5 106
basepairs long of unknown sequence. Estimate the number of EcorRI cut sites that you would expect:
(a) 1220 (b) 10037 (c) 124 (d) 102874

14. The rotational constant for a diatomic molecule is 1.9225 cm-1. In general (within the rigid rotor approximation), at T = 600 K, for rotation state with maximum population (J max ) and the position of maximum intensity of pure rotational absorption spectrum (I max ), which of the following holds True ?
(a) J max = 7, while I max position is near transitions originating from J = 7
(b) J max = 10, while I max position is near transitions originating from J = 7
(c) J max = 7, while I max position cannot be determined from this information alone
(d) Jmax = 10, while Imax position cannot be determined from this information alone

15. Based on the behaviour of the metalloenzymes, consider the following statements
(i) In the enzymes, Zinc activates O2 to form peroxide species
(ii) In the enzymes, Zinc activates H2O and provides a Zinc-bound hydroxide
(iii) In the oxidases, Iron activates O2 to break the bonding between the two oxygen atoms
(iv) Zinc ion acts as a nucleophile and attacks at the peptide carbonyl

Which combination of statements is the correct one:
(a) i and ii (b) ii and iii (c) iii and iv (d) None of the above

16. For a gas that obeys following equation of state P(V-b)= RT , where b is a constant and R is an universal gas constant, which of the following is right:

17. If a cylindrical box with a lid of cross-sectional area 0.01m2 containing air at 1 atmosphere is transferred into a vacuum chamber, how much of a weight would we have to put on the lid of the box in order to maintain the internal pressure? Assume that the lid is loosely put on the box and it is massless.

(a) ~1 kg (b) ~10 kg (c) ~100 kg (d) insufficient data

18. Phosphite esters undergo nucleophilic substitution with alkyl halides. Predict the final stable product of the following reaction

Here is PDF for Question Paper Chemistry for TIFR:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Question Paper Chemistry for TIFR.pdf (576.5 KB, 60 views)

Quick Reply
Your Username: Click here to log in