2023 2024 Student Forum > Management Forum > Main Forum

25th July 2016, 06:44 AM
Super Moderator

Re: Thermodynamics IIT JEE Notes

Ok, here I am providing you the notes of Thermodynamics of IIT Joint Entrance exam JEE exam.

IIT JEE exam Thermodynamics notes-

Thermodynamics:- It is the branch of physics which deals with process involving heat, work and internal energy. Thermodynamics is concerned with macroscopic behavior rather than microscopic behavior of the system.

Basic Terminology:

System -
Part of the universe under investigation.

Open System
A system which can exchange both energy and matter with its surroundings.

Closed System
A system which permits passage of energy but not mass, across its boundary.

Isolated system
A system which can neither exchange energy nor matter with its surrounding.

Surroundings
Part of the universe other than system, which can interact with it.

Boundary
Anything which separates system from surrounding.

State variables
The variables which are required to be defined in order to define state of any system i.e. pressure, volume, mass, temperature, surface area, etc.

State Functions
Property of system which depend only on the state of the system and not on the path.
Example: Pressure, volume, temperature, internal energy, enthalpy, entropy etc.

Intensive properties
Properties of a system which do not depend on mass of the system i.e. temperature, pressure, density, concentration,

Extensive properties
Properties of a system which depend on mass of the system i.e. volume, energy, enthalpy, entropy etc.

Process
Path along which state of a system changes.

Isothermal process
Process which takes place at constant temperature

Isobaric process
Process which takes place at constant pressure

Isochoric process
Process which takes place at constant volume.

Adiabatic process
Process during which transfer of heat cannot take place between system and surrounding.

Cyclic process
Process in which system comes back to its initial state after undergoing series of changes.

Reversible process
Process during which the system always departs infinitesimally from the state of equilibrium i.e. its direction can be reversed at any moment.

Irriversible Process
This type of process is fast and gets completed in a single step. This process cannot be reversed. All the natural processes are of this type

Heat, energy and work:
Heat (Q):

Energy is exchanged between system and surround in the form of heat when they are at different temperatures.

Heat added to a system is given by a positive sign, whereas heat extracted from a system is given negative sign.

It is an extensive property.

It is not a state function.

Energy:

It is the capacity for doing work.

Energy is an extensive property.

Unit : Joule.

Work (W):

Work = Force × Displacement i.e. dW = Fdx

Work done on the system is given by positive sigh while work done by the system is given negative sign.

Mechanical Work or Pressure-Volume Work: work associated with change in volume of a system against an external pressure.

25th July 2016, 07:06 AM
Super Moderator

Re: Thermodynamics IIT JEE Notes

Ok, here I am providing you the notes of Thermodynamics of IIT Joint Entrance exam JEE exam.

IIT JEE exam Thermodynamics notes-

Thermodynamics:- It is the branch of physics which deals with process involving heat, work and internal energy. Thermodynamics is concerned with macroscopic behavior rather than microscopic behavior of the system.

Basic Terminology:

System -
Part of the universe under investigation.

Open System
A system which can exchange both energy and matter with its surroundings.

Closed System
A system which permits passage of energy but not mass, across its boundary.

Isolated system
A system which can neither exchange energy nor matter with its surrounding.

Surroundings
Part of the universe other than system, which can interact with it.

Boundary
Anything which separates system from surrounding.

State variables
The variables which are required to be defined in order to define state of any system i.e. pressure, volume, mass, temperature, surface area, etc.

State Functions
Property of system which depend only on the state of the system and not on the path.
Example: Pressure, volume, temperature, internal energy, enthalpy, entropy etc.

Intensive properties
Properties of a system which do not depend on mass of the system i.e. temperature, pressure, density, concentration,

Extensive properties
Properties of a system which depend on mass of the system i.e. volume, energy, enthalpy, entropy etc.

Process
Path along which state of a system changes.

Isothermal process
Process which takes place at constant temperature

Isobaric process
Process which takes place at constant pressure

Isochoric process
Process which takes place at constant volume.

Adiabatic process
Process during which transfer of heat cannot take place between system and surrounding.

Cyclic process
Process in which system comes back to its initial state after undergoing series of changes.

Reversible process
Process during which the system always departs infinitesimally from the state of equilibrium i.e. its direction can be reversed at any moment.

Irriversible Process
This type of process is fast and gets completed in a single step. This process cannot be reversed. All the natural processes are of this type

Heat, energy and work:
Heat (Q):

Energy is exchanged between system and surround in the form of heat when they are at different temperatures.

Heat added to a system is given by a positive sign, whereas heat extracted from a system is given negative sign.

It is an extensive property.

It is not a state function.

Energy:

It is the capacity for doing work.

Energy is an extensive property.

Unit : Joule.

Work (W):

Work = Force × Displacement i.e. dW = Fdx

Work done on the system is given by positive sigh while work done by the system is given negative sign.

Mechanical Work or Pressure-Volume Work: work associated with change in volume of a system against an external pressure.

Quick Reply
Your Username: Click here to log in