2023 2024 Student Forum > Management Forum > Main Forum

29th May 2015, 02:11 PM
Unregistered

SSC and FSC

Please tell me how Analogue-to-Digital Conversion (ADC) system generates forward scattered light (FSC) and side-scattered light (SSC) as well as fluorescence signals? Please provide me information regarding this?
6th January 2016, 01:12 PM
Unregistered

Re: SSC and FSC

Hi I would like to know what are SSC and FSC used for in the Flow Cytometry measurement of characteristics of single cells (cyto) suspended in a flowing saline stream?
6th January 2016, 01:12 PM
Super Moderator

Re: SSC and FSC

Flow Cytometry is the measurement of characteristics of single cells (cyto) suspended in a flowing saline stream.

The basic flow cytometer consists of five main components which are:
A source of light i.e. Laser;
A flow cell;
Optical components to focus light of different colours on to the detectors;
Electronics to amplify and process the resulting signals; and
A computer.

In biotechnology, flow cytometry is the laser-based, biophysical technology engaged in cell counting, cell sorting, biomarker detection and protein engineering, by suspending cells in a stream of fluid and passing them by an electronic detection apparatus.

The real commencement of modern flow cytometry started when Fulwyler (U.S. Los Alamos National Laboratories) built a cell sorter by means of the Coulter principle to size cells and electrostatic charging of droplets to sort them.

The laser beam hits the cells as they bypass through the flow chamber. The way the light bounces off every cell gives information about the cell’s physical characteristics. Light scatter and/or fluorescence (if fluorescent molecules are present on the particle) are captured, spectrally filtered and concentrating to appropriate photo detectors for conversion to electrical signals.

Light scatter is collected at two angles:
Forward Scatter (FSC) and
side scatter (SSC).

Forward scatter processes scattered light in the direction of the laser path and measures the size of the cell.
Side scatter processes scattered light at 90 degrees to the laser path and measures the granularity of the cell.

A photodiode collects the FSC signal. Photomultiplier tubes (PMTs) gather the emitted SSC and fluorescence signals. A system of mirrors and optical filters routes these signals to the detectors.

Quick Reply
Your Username: Click here to log in