2023 2024 Student Forum > Management Forum > Main Forum

13th May 2018, 09:42 AM
Unregistered

Re: Sociology Honours In Calcutta University

Can you provide me the syllabus of Three-Year B.A (Bachelor of Arts) Honours program offered by University of Calcutta as I want to check it before taking admission in it?
13th May 2018, 09:45 AM
Super Moderator

Re: Sociology Honours In Calcutta University

The syllabus of Three-Year B.A (Bachelor of Arts) Honours program offered by University of Calcutta is as follows:

Part-I
Paper I: Introductory Sociology 100 Marks
Group A:
Module I:

(a) Sociological perspective; Sociology as a science; Sociology and Common Sense; Sociology and other social sciences (only to understand Sociologys distinctiveness); Practical significance of Sociology: Sociology and Social Work.
(b) Social interaction; Communication verbal non-verbal; Interpretation and action; Understanding others: attributing meaning and interpretation; Social relationship: Primary and Secondary.

Module II:
(a) Culture meaning and characteristics; Types of culture popular, elitist, folk, and consumer cultures; Pluralism and Multiculturalism.
(b) Types of society; Pre-modern societies: hunters and gatherers, pastoral and agrarian, non-industrial and traditional; Modern societies: Industrial, Advanced/Post-industrial, Postmodern and Developing societies.

Group B:
Module I:

(a) Socialization: meaning and agencies; Theories of child development; Resocialization.
(b) Social control: meaning, agencies and mechanisms; Conformity and Deviance.
Module II:
(a) Social stratification: meaning and forms Caste, Class, Status, Power, Gender and Ethnicity; Social Mobility, Social Closure and Social Exclusion.
(b) Social Change: definition, factors and theories of social change.

Paper II: Western Sociological Thought 100 Marks
Group A:
Module I:

(a) Origin and development of Sociology as a distinct discipline; Role of European Enlightenment; Contributions of Montesquieu and St. Simon
(b) Auguste Comte: Positivism; Law of Three Stages; Social Statics and Social Dynamics.
Module II:
(a) Herbert Spencer: Organicism; Theory of Evolution.
(b) Emile Durkheim: Rules of Sociological Method; Division of Labour; Suicide.
Group B:
Module III:

(a) Karl Marx: Dialectics; Materialist interpretation of history; Capitalism: origin and dynamics; Alienation; Class, Class Struggle and Revolution.
(b) Max Weber : Concept of social action; Methodology; Protestant Ethic and Capitalism; Types of authority.
Module IV:
(a) George Simmel: Formal Sociology; Concepts of Sociation and Group Formation; Objective Culture; Place of Money.
(b) Vilfredo Pareto: Logical and Non-logical actions; Residues and Derivations; Circulation of Elites.

Syllabus Three-Year B.A (Bachelor of Arts) Honours University of Calcutta

Quick Reply
Your Username: Click here to log in