Special Theory of Relativity
Electricity and Magnetism-
Physics Laboratory

Optics and Thermal Physics
Physics Laboratory

Punjab Univ B.Sc Hons Physics syllabus
UNIT I (ENVIRONMENT)
1. Environment Concept :
Introduction, concept of biosphere—lithosphere, hydrosphere, atmosphere; Natural resources—
their need and types; principles and scope of Ecology; concepts of ecosystem, population,
community, biotic interactions, biomes, ecological succession.
2. Atmosphere :
Parts of atmosphere, components of air; pollution, pollutants, their sources, permissible limits,
risks and possible control measures.
3. Hydrosphere :
Types of aquatic systems. Major sources (including ground water) and uses of water, problems
of the hydrosphere, fresh water shortage; pollution and pollutants of water, permissible limits,
risks and possible control measures.
4. Lithosphere :
Earth crust, Soil—a life support system, its texture, types, components, pollution and
pollutants, reasons of soil erosion and possible control measures.
5. Forests :
Concept of forests and plantations, types of vegetation and forests, factors governing vegetation,
role of trees and forests in environment, various forestry programmes of the Govt. of India,
Urban forests, Chipko Andolan.
6. Conservation of Environment :
The concepts of conservation and sustainable development, why to conserve, aims and
objectives of conservation, policies of conservation; conservation of life support systems—soil,
water, air, wildlife, forests.
7. Management of Solid Waste :
Merits and demerits of different ways of solid waste management—open, dumping,
landfill, incineration, resource reduction, recycling and reuse, vermicomposting and
vermiculture, organic farming.
8. Indoor Environment :
Pollutants and contaminants of the in-house environment; problems of the environment
linked to urban and rural lifestyles; possible adulterants of the food; uses and harms of plastics
and polythene; hazardous chemicals, solvents and cosmetics.
9. Global Environmental Issues :
Global concern, creation of UNEP; Conventions on climate change, Convention on
biodiversity; Stratospheric ozone depletion, dangers associated and possible solutions.
10. Indian Laws on Environment :
Indian laws pertaining to Environmental protection : Environment (Protection) Act, 1986;
General information about Laws relating to control of air, water and noise pollution. What to
do to seek redressal.
11. Biodiversity :
What is biodiversity, levels and types of biodiversity, importance of biodiversity, causes of its
loss, how to check its loss; Hotspot zones of the world and India, Biodiversity Act, 2002.
12. Noise and Microbial Pollution :
Pollution due to noise and microbes and their effects.
13. Human Population and Environment :
Population growth and family welfare programme, Human Health, HIV/AIDS, Human rights.
14. Social Issues :
Environmental Ethics : Issues and possible solutions, problems related to lifestyle,
sustainable development; Consumerisms and waste generation.
15. Local Environmental Issues :
Environmental problems in rural and urban areas, Problem of Congress grass & other
weeds, problems arising from the use of pesticides and weedicides, smoking etc.
Practicals :
Depending on the available facility in the college, a visit to Vermicomposting units or any other
such non-polluting eco-friendly site or planting/caring of vegetation/trees could be taken.
Note : Above 15 topics to be covered in 25 hour lectures in total, with 2 lectures in each
topics from 2 to 11 and one each for the topics 1 and 12 to 15.
UNIT II (ROAD SAFETY)
1. Concept and Significance of Road Safety.
2. Role of Traffic Police in Road Safety.
3. Traffic Rules.
4. Traffic Signs.
5. How to obtain Driving License.
6. Traffic Offences, Penalties and Procedures.
7. Common Driving mistakes.
8. Significance of First-aid in Road Safety.
9. Role of Civil Society in Road Safety.
10. Traffic Police-Public Relationship.
Examination Pattern :
Seventy multiple choice questions (with one correct and three incorrect alternatives and
no deduction for wrong or un-attempted question).
The paper shall have two units: Unit I (Environment) and Unit II (Road Safety).
Unit I shall comprise of 50 questions with minimum of 2 questions from each topics 1,
and 12 to 15 and minimum of 4 questions from topics 2 to 11.
Unit II shall comprise of 20 questions with minimum of 1 question from each topics 1 to
The entire syllabus of Unit I is to be covered in 25 hours and that of Unit II is to be
covered in 10 hours.
All questions are to be attempted.
Qualifying Marks 33 per cent i.e. 23 marks out of 70.
Duration of examination : 90 minutes.
The paper setters are requested to set the questions strictly according to the syllabus.
Suggested Readings
1. The Motor Vehicle Act, 1988 (2010), Universal Law Publishing Co. Pvt. Ltd., New
Delhi.
2. Road Safety Signage and Signs (2011), Ministry of Road Transport and Highways,
Government of India.
FIRST SEMESTER
Objectives:
The objective of teaching English to the science students is to create general awareness among
them about literature and its impact on their lives. At the same time, it is expected that the
students, on reading this course, shall develop proficiency in reading and writing skills, while
acquiring a sensitive and analytical attitude towards literature in particular, and life in general. It
is with this aim in mind that the new text has been selected and it is hoped that the objectives of
the course will not only be reflected but also realized through necessary shift in the teaching
practices, design of the question paper and mode of evaluation.
Note:
(i) There will be one paper of 80 marks, 10 marks are reserved for the Internal
Assessment and 10 for the Practical Work. Total is 100.
(ii) The paper shall consist of Two Units. Unit I will be text specific and Unit II shall
deal with different aspects of communications and language learning skills.
(iii) For Unit I, the prescribed text is Varieties of Expression, Ed. A. H. Tak, Foundation
Books, which shall replace the existing text Patterns in Prose by Jagdish Chander,
P.U., Chandigarh. It may be pointed out here that only certain sections of this text i.e
prose and drama are prescribed. Poetry has been deleted completely. Only five
prose and five plays have been recommended for the study. The relevant sections,
however, are as follows:
Prose:
I. The Judgement Seat of Vikramaditya, Sister Nivedita
II Engine Trouble, R. K. Narayan
III The Conjurer’s Revenge, Stephen Leacock
Drama:
I The Rising of the Moon, Lady Gregory
II Waterloo, Arthur Conan Doyle
(iv) No text book is recommended for Unit II, but a few books that may be used for this Unit
are listed towards the end Unit II shall consist of the following:
Communication: It shall focus on different aspects of communication, types of communication ,
and significance of positive attitude in improving communication.
Writing Skills: This section shall focus on précis-writing, letters of all kinds; curriculum vitae,
short, formal reports (no exceeding 200 words); public notices and advertisements relating to
product promotion etc.,
Modern Forms of Communication: Here special emphasis shall be given to teaching the format
of e-mails, fax messages, telegrams, audio-visual aids and power-point presentations. Apart from
this, the students shall also be given basic lessons in effective listening, non-verbal
communication, how to prepare for an interview and group discussion etc.
Practical work:-
Teacher should assign some project or practical work to the students. This should be in the
nature of guided activity, which the students shall have to complete under the direct supervision
of the teacher. The students may be given projects on a variety of subjects relating to their
discipline i.e. science in general or a specific area of science they are specializing in. Preferably,
they should be given minor projects (to be completed within less than two weeks, and length not
exceeding 20 pages) in consultation with teachers of science. However, the evaluation of the
projects should be done only by the Language Teachers, who must keep all the basic criteria of
good writing in mind while doing so.
Note: In case of private candidates and students of School of Open Learning, the marks
obtained by them out of 80 will be proportionately increased out of 100.
Testing Scheme:
The examination paper shall be divided into two sections, corresponding to two units already
proposed in the syllabus. The distribution of questions and marks in Section I shall be as follows:
Section I (It is text-based and corresponds to unit I in the syllabus)
Q1. It shall consist of five short questions (not exceeding 100-120 words) out of which a student
will be expected to attempt any three. This question shall be based upon the prescribed text
Varieties of Expression and cover a wide range of issues, topics and problems. It shall consist
of 12 marks.
Q2. It shall consist of two long questions (not exceeding 300-350 words) out of which a student
will be expected to attempt only one. This question shall have internal choice, be based upon the
prescribed text Varieties of Expression. This shall carry 10 marks.
Note: The question 1 & 2 should be so designed as to cover all the chapters prescribed, as well
as the major issues and problems listed therein.
Q3. It shall consist of an Unseen Passage for Comprehension (not more than 800 words), with
minimum six questions at the end. These questions should be designed in such a way that we are
able to test a student’s comprehension ability, language/presentation skills and vocabulary etc.
This question shall be of 12 marks.
Q.4. It shall exclusively be a test of vocabulary, but designed strictly on the lines of various
exercises given at the end of each chapter in the prescribed text. The candidate shall be given six
words in one column and asked to match them with words/meanings in the next column, This
shall carry 6 marks.
Section II (Based upon Unit II)
Q.5 (a) The students shall be asked to write a short survey report on a situation, incident,
problem of science or the possibility of starting a new scientific venture (in about 150-200
words). The students shall be given an internal choice in this question. This question shall carry 8
marks.
(b) This question shall be on notices/advertisements of various types (as mentioned in the
syllabus). It’ll carry 4 marks.
Q.6. This question shall test a student’s ability to write letters of various kinds (in nor more than
250 words). Again, there will be internal choice here and the question will be of 8 marks.
Q.7 There will test a student’s ability to write a Précis, A passage of about 200 words shall be
given and the students shall have to write a précis of about 70 words (including the title). This
question shall carry 10 marks.
Q.8 This question shall test a student’s understanding of various aspects of communication and
modern forms of communication. It shall be divided into two parts:
(a) Two short questions to be attempted (in not more than 100-120 words each) on
different aspects of communication. It’ll carry 6 marks.
(b) Definitions/format of modern forms of communication to be tested. This shall
again carry 4 marks.
Suggested Reading:
1. Business Communication, Ed. Om. P. Juneja & Aarti Mujumdar, Hyderabad: Orient
Blackswan, 2010.
2. Textbook of Business Communication, Anjali Kalkasr, R.B. Suryawanshi, Amlanjyoti
Sengupta, Hyderabad: Orient Blackswan., 2010.
SECOND SEMESTER
Objectives:
The objective of teaching English to the science students is to create general awareness among
them about literature and its impact on their lives. At the same time, it is expected that the
students, on reading this course, shall develop proficiency in reading and writing skills, while
acquiring a sensitive and analytical attitude towards literature in particular, and life in general. It
is with this aim in mind that the new text has been selected and it is hoped that the objectives of
the course will not only be reflected but also realized through necessary shift in the teaching
practices, design of the question paper and mode of evaluation.
Note:
(i) There will be one paper of 80 marks, 10 marks are reserved for the Internal
Assessment and 10 for the Practical Work. Total is 100.
(ii) The paper shall consist of Two Units. Unit I will be text specific and Unit II
shall deal with different aspects of communications and language learning
skills.
(iii) For Unit I, the prescribed text is Varieties of Expression, Ed. A. H. Tak,
Foundation Books, which shall replace the existing text Patterns in Prose by
Jagdish Chander, P.U., Chandigarh. It may be pointed out here that only
certain sections of this text i.e prose and drama are prescribed. Poetry has
been deleted completely. Only five prose and five plays have been
recommended for the study. The relevant sections, however, are as follows:
Prose:
I J. C. Bose, Aldous Huxley
II The Position of Women in Ancient India, Padmini Sen Gupta
Drama:
I The Proposal, Anton Chekhov
II Riders to the Sea, J. M. Synge
III Lithuania, Rupert Brooke
(iv) No text book is recommended for Unit II, but a few books that may be used
for this Unit are listed towards the end Unit II shall consist of the following:
Communication: It shall focus on different aspects of communication, types of communication,
and significance of positive attitude in improving communication.
Writing Skills: This section shall focus on précis-writing, letters of all kinds; curriculum vitae,
short, formal reports (no exceeding 200 words); public notices and advertisements relating to
product promotion etc.,
Modern Forms of Communication: Here special emphasis shall be given to teaching the format
of e-mails, fax messages, telegrams, audio-visual aids and power-point presentations. Apart from
this, the students shall also be given basic lessons in effective listening, non-verbal
communication, how to prepare for an interview and group discussion etc.,
Practical work:-
Teacher should assign some project or practical work to the students. This should be in the
nature of guided activity, which the students shall have to complete under the direct supervision
of the teacher. The students may be given projects on a variety of subjects relating to their
discipline i.e. science in general or a specific area of science they are specializing in. Preferably,
they should be given minor projects (to be completed within less than two weeks, and length not
exceeding 20 pages) in consultation with teachers of science. However, the evaluation of the
projects should be done only by the Language Teachers, who must keep all the basic criteria of
good writing in mind while doing so.
Note: In case of private candidates and students of School of Open Learning, the marks
obtained by them out of 80 will be proportionately increased out of 100.
Testing Scheme:
The examination paper shall be divided into two sections, corresponding to two units already
proposed in the syllabus. The distribution of questions and marks in Section I shall be as follows:
Section I (It is text-based and corresponds to unit I in the syllabus)
Q1. It shall consist of five short questions (not exceeding 100-120 words) out of which a student
will be expected to attempt any three. This question shall be based upon the prescribed text
Varieties of Expression and cover a wide range of issues, topics and problems. It shall consist
of 12 marks.
Q2. It shall consist of two long questions (not exceeding 300-350 words) out of which a student
will be expected to attempt only one. This question shall have internal choice, be based upon the
prescribed text Varieties of Expression. This shall carry 10 marks.
Note: The question 1 & 2 should be so designed as to cover all the chapters prescribed,
as well as the major issues and problems listed therein.
Q3. It shall consist of an Unseen Passage for Comprehension (not more than 800 words), with
minimum six questions at the end. These questions should be designed in such a way that we are
able to test a student’s comprehension ability, language/presentation skills and vocabulary etc.
This question shall be of 12 marks.
Q.4. It shall exclusively be a test of vocabulary, but designed strictly on the lines of various
exercises given at the end of each chapter in the prescribed text. The candidate shall be given six
words in one column and asked to match them with words/meanings in the next column, This
shall carry 6 marks.
Section II (Based upon Unit II)
Q.5 (a) The students shall be asked to write a short survey report on a situation, incident,
problem of science or the possibility of starting a new scientific venture (in about 150-200
words). The students shall be given an internal choice in this question. This question shall carry 8
marks.
Q.5 (b) This question shall be on notices/advertisements of various types (as mentioned in the
syllabus). It’ll carry 4 marks.
Q.6. This question shall test a student’s ability to write letters of various kinds (in nor more than
250 words). Again, there will be internal choice here and the question will be of 8 marks.
Q.7 There will test a student’s ability to write a Précis, A passage of about 200 words shall be
given and the students shall have to write a précis of about 70 words (including the title). This
question shall carry 10 marks.
Q.8 This question shall test a student’s understanding of various aspects of communication and
modern forms of communication. It shall be divided into two parts:
(a) Two short questions to be attempted (in not more than 100-120 words each) on
different aspects of communication. It’ll carry 6 marks.
(b) Definitions/format of modern forms of communication to be tested. This shall
again carry 4 marks.
Suggested Reading:
1. Business Communication, Ed. Om. P. Juneja & Aarti Mujumdar, Hyderabad: Orient
Blackswan, 2010.
2. Textbook of Business Communication, Anjali Kalkasr, R.B. Suryawanshi, Amlanjyoti
Sengupta, Hyderabad: Orient Blackswan., 2010.
For detailed syllabus, here is attachment:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Punjab Univ B.Sc Hons Physics syllabus.pdf (321.5 KB, 93 views)

Quick Reply
Your Username: Click here to log in