2023 2024 Student Forum > Management Forum > Main Forum

25th February 2016, 03:02 PM
Super Moderator

Re: PTU Mechanical Syllabus

As you have asked about the Punjab Technical Univeristy Mechanical engineering syllabus, I ma giving you infomraiton about it

STRENGTH OF MATERIALS – I:

1. Simple stresses and strains:

Concept of stress and strain; St. Vernants principle, stress and strain diagram, Hooke’s law, Young’s modulus, Poisson ratio, stress at a point, stress and strains in bars subjected to axial loading. Modulus of elasticity, stress produced in compound bars subject to axial loading.Temperature stress and strain calculations due to applications of axial loads and variation of temperature in single and compound bars. Compound stress and strains, the two dimensional system; stress at a point on a plane, principal stresses and principal planes; Mohr’s circle of stress; ellipse of stress and their applications. Generalized Hook's Law, principal stresses related to principal strains

2. Bending moment and shear force diagrams: S.F and B.M definitions. BM and SF diagrams for cantilevers, simply supported beams with or without overhangs and calculation of maximum BM and SF and the point of contraflexure under the following loads:
a) Concentrated loads
b) Uniformity distributed loads over the whole span or part of span
c) Combination of concentrated loads (two or three) and uniformly distributed loads
d) Uniformity varying loads
e) Application of moments
Relation between rate of loading, shear force and bending moment

3. Theory of bending stresses in beams due to bending: assumptions in the simple bending theory, derivation of formula: its application to beams of rectangular, circular and channel, I & T- sections,: Combined direct and bending stresses in aforementioned sections, composite / flitched beams.

For more, you can refer to the attached file
Attached Files
File Type: pdf PTU Mechanical Engineeirng Syllabus.pdf (413.2 KB, 111 views)

Quick Reply
Your Username: Click here to log in