2023 2024 Student Forum > Management Forum > Main Forum

16th July 2014, 04:17 PM
Super Moderator

Re: Previous GATE Computer Science engineering Paper with answer

Here I am giving you question paper for computer science engineering paper of graduate aptitude test in engineering examination in PDF file attached with it so you can get it easily.

1. Consider an undirected random graph of eight vertices. The probability that there is an edge
between a pair of vertices is ½. What is the expected number of unordered cycles of length
three?
(A) 1/8 (B) 1 (C) 7 (D) 8
Answer:-(C)

2. Which of the following statements is/are TRUE for undirected graphs?
P: Number of odd degree vertices is even.
Q: Sum of degrees of all vertices is even.
(A) P only (B) Q only
(C) Both P and Q (D) Neither P nor Q
Answer:- (C)

8. Which of the following statements are TRUE?
(1) The problem of determining whether there exists a cycle in an undirected graph is in P.
(2) The problem of determining whether there exists a cycle in an undirected graph is in NP.
(3) If a problem A is NP-Complete, there exists a non-deterministic polynomial time
algorithm to solve A.
(A) 1,2 and 3 (B) 1 and 2 only (C) 2 and 3 only (D) 1 and 3 only
Answer: -(A)

9. Which of the following statements is/are FALSE?
(1) For every non-deterministic Turing machine, there exists an equivalent deterministic
Turing machine.
(2) Turing recognizable languages are closed under union and complementation.
(3) Turing decidable languages are closed under intersection and complementation
(4) Turing recognizable languages are closed under union and intersection.
(A) 1 and 4 only (B) 1 and 3 only (C) 2 only (D) 3 only
Answer: -(C)

11. An index is clustered, if
(A) it is on a set of fields that form a candidate key
(B) it is on a set of fields that include the primary key
(C) the data records of the file are organized in the same order as the data entries of the index
(D) the data records of the file are organized not in the same order as the data entries of the
index
Answer:-(C)

13. The transport layer protocols used for real time multimedia, file transfer, DNS and
email, respectively are
(A) TCP, UDP, UDP and TCP (B) UDP, TCP, TCP and UDP
(C) UDP, TCP, UDP and TCP (D) TCP, UDP, TCP and UDP
Answer:- (C)

16. A scheduling algorithm assigns priority proportional to the waiting time of a process. Every
process starts with priority zero(the lowest priority). The scheduler re-evaluates the process
priorities every T time units and decides the next process to schedule. Which one of the
following is TRUE if the processes have no I/O operations and all arrive at time zero?
(A) This algorithm is equivalent to the first-come-first-serve algorithm
(B) This algorithm is equivalent to the round-robin algorithm
(C) This algorithm is equivalent to the shortest-job-first algorithm
(D) This algorithm is equivalent to the shortest-remaining-time-first algorithm
Answer:-(B)

Attached Files
File Type: pdf GATE CS paper with Solution.pdf (313.0 KB, 54 views)
18th March 2015, 04:31 PM
Unregistered

I am from Delhi and I am appearing for the gate examinations.. kindly provide me with the previous year question papers in (computer science):
18th March 2015, 04:34 PM
Super Moderator

Hello the Delhi guy,
Its good to know that you are appearing for GATE …I will provide you with the needful

1.Previous year questions(computer science):

GATE 2015 –CE on 8th February, 2015 – (Afternoon Session)
General Aptitude Questions:

*Q.No-1-5 Carry One Mark Each

1. Choose the most appropriate word from the options given below to complete the following sentence:

The official answered _________ that the complaints of the citizen would be looked
into.
(A) respectably (B) respectfully
(C) reputably (D) respectively
Answer: (B)

2. Choose the statement where underlined word is used correctly
(A) The minister insured the victims that everything would be all right.
(B) He ensured that the company will not have to bear any loss.
(C) The actor got himself ensured against any accident.
(D) The teacher insured students of good results

3. Four cards are randomly selected from a pack of 52 cards. If the first two cards are kings, what isthe probability that the third card is a king?

(A) 4/52
(B) 2/50
(C) 1/52 × (1/52)
(D) 1/52 × (1/52) × (1/50)

4. Which word is not a synonym for the word vernacular?
(A) regional (B) indigeneous
(C) indigent (D) colloquial

Answer: (C)

5. Mr. Vivek walks 6 meters North-East, then turns and walks 6 meters South- East, both at 60 degrees to East. He further moves 2 meters South and 4 meters West. What is the straight distance in meters between the point he started from and the point he finally reached?
(A) 2 2 (B) 2 (C) 2 (D) 1 / 2
Answer: (A)

*Q. No. 6 - 10 Carry Two Marks Each

6. How many four digit numbers can be formed with the 10 digits 0, 1, 2, ..... 9 if no number can
start with 0 and if repetitions are not allowed?
Answer: 4536
Exp: In thousands place, 9 digits except 0 can be placed
In hundreds place, 9 digits can be placed (including 0, excluding the one used in thousands place)
In tens place, 8 digits can be placed (excluding the ones used in thousands and hundreds place)
In ones place, 7 digits can be placed (excluding the one used in thousands, hundreds and tens
place)
Total number of combinations 9 9 8 7 4536 = × × × =

7. The word similar in meaning to ‘dreary’ is
(A) cheerful (B) dreamy
(C) hard (D) dismal
Answer: (D)
Exp: dreary- depressingly dull and bleak or repetitive.

8. There are 16 teachers who can teach Thermodynamics (TD), 11 who can teach Electrical Sciences (ES), and 5 who can teach both TD and Engineering Mechanics (EM). There are a total of 40 teachers, 6 cannot teach any of the three subjects, i.e. EM, ES or TD. 6 can teach only ES. 4 can teach all three subjects, i.e. EM, ES and TD. 4 can teach ES and TD. How many can teach both ES and EM but not TD?
(A) 1 (B) 2 (C) 3 (D) 4

9. Read the following table giving sales data of five types of batteries for years 2006 to 2012
Year Type
I
Type
II
Type
III
Type
IV
Type
V
2006 75 144 114 102 108
2007 90 126 102 84 126
2008 96 114 75 105 135
2009 105 90 150 90 75
2010 90 75 135 75 90
2011 105 60 165 45 120
2012 115 85 160 100 145

Out of the following, which type of battery achieved highest growth between the years 2006 and
2012?
(A) Type V (B) Type III
(C) Type II (D) Type I

10. The given question is followed by two statements: select the most appropriate option that solves the question

Capacity of a solution tank A is 70% of the capacity of tank B. How many gallons of solution are
in tank A and tank B?
Statements:
I. Tank A is 80% full and tank B is 40% full
II. Tank A if full contains 14,000 gallons of solution
(A) Statement I alone is sufficient
(B) Statement II alone is sufficient
(C) Either statement I or II alone is sufficient
(D) Both the statements I and II together are sufficient

Statement-II can be used if it is known what quantity of each tank is full/empty.

Therefore, by using both statements
Let capacity of tank B is x
½CE-GATE-2015 PAPER|

*Q. No. 1-25 Carry One Mark Each

1. A column of size 450 mm × 600 mm has unsupported length of 3.0 m and is braced against side
sway in both directions. According to IS 456:2000, the minimum eccentricities (in mm) with
respect to major and minor principle axes are
(A) 20.0 and 20.0 (B) 26.0 and 21.0
(C) 26.0 and 20.0 (D) 21.0 and 15.0

2. The relationship between the length scale ratio (Lr) and the velocity scale ratio (Vr) in hydraulic
models, in which Froude dynamic similarity is maintained, is
(A) r r V L = (B) r r L V = (C) 1.5
r r V L = (D) r r V L =

3. Given 20 cosx isin xi 1, the value of the definite int egral, I dx is :
cosx isin x
p += − =−

(A) 1 (B) -1 (C) i (D) –i

4. SO2 and CO adversely affect
(A) oxygen carrying capacity of blood and functioning of lungs respectively
(B) functioning of the respiratory system and brain respectively
(C) functioning of the respiratory system and oxygen carrying capacity of blood respectively
(D) functioning of air passages and chest respectively.

5. A guided support as shown in the figure below is represented by three springs (horizontal, vertical
and rotational) with stiffness kx, ky and k respectively. The limiting values of kx, ky and k are
(A) , 0, (B) , ,
(C) 0, , (D) , , 0

6. Let ij A ,1 i, j n
= a £ £ with n 3 and aij = i.j . The rank of A is

(A) 0 (B) 1
(C) n – 1 (D) n

7. A hydraulic jump takes place in a frictionless rectangular channel. The pre-jump depth is yp. The
alternate and sequent depths corresponding to yp are ya and ys respectively. The correct
relationship among yp, ya and ys is
(A) ya < ys < yp (B) yp < ys < ya
(C) yp < ys = ya (D) ya = ys = yp

8. A steel member ‘M’ has reversal of stress due to live loads, whereas another member ‘N’ has
reversal of stress due to wind load. As per IS 800:2007, the maximum slenderness ratio permitted
is
(A) less for member ‘M’ than that of member ‘N’
(B) more for member ‘M’ than for member ‘N’
(C) same for both the members
(D) not specified in the Code

10. In a leveling work, sum of the Back Sight (B.S.) and Fore Sight (F.S.) have been found to be
3.085 m and 5.645 m respectively. If the Reduced Level (R.L.) of the starting station is 100.000
m, the R.L. (in m) of the last station is _______.
Answer: 97.440

11. In friction circle method of slope stability analysis, if r defines the radius of the slip circle, the
radius of friction circle is
(A) r sin f (B) r (C) r cos f (D) r tan f

12. Net ultimate bearing capacity of a footing embedded in a clay stratum
(A) increases with depth of footing only
(B) increases with size of footing only
(C) increases with depth and size of footing
(D) is independent of depth and size of footing

13. A groundwater sample was found to contain 500 mg/L total dissolved solids (TDS). TDS (in %)
present in the sample is ________.
Answer: 0.05

14. In Newton-Raphson iterative method, the initial guess value (xini) is considered as zero while
finding the roots of the equation: f(x) = –2 + 6x – 4x2 + 0.5x3. The correction, x, to be added to
xini in the first iteration is ___________.
Answer: 0.3333

15. Prying forces are
(A) shearing forces on the bolts because of the joints
(B) tensile forces due to the flexibility of connected parts
(C) bending forces on the bolts because of the joints
(D) forces due the friction between connected parts

16. For the plane stress situation shown in the figure, the maximum shear stress and the plane on
which it acts are
y 50MPa s =x 50MPa s = x 50MPa s =y 50MPa s =

(A) –50 MPa, on a plane 45° clockwise w.r.t. x-axis
(B) –50 MPa, on a plane 45° anti-clockwise w.r.t. x-axis
(C) 50 MPa, at all orientations
(D) Zero, at all orientations

17. A superspeedway in New Delhi has among the highest super-elevation rates of any track on the Indian Grand Prix circuit. The track requires drivers to negotiate turns with a radius of 335 m and 33° banking. Given this information, the coefficient of side friction required in order to allow a vehicle to travel at 320 km/h along the curve is
(A) 1.761 (B) 0.176
(C) 0.253 (D) 2.530
Answer: 0.685

18. A horizontal beam ABC is loaded as shown in the figure below. The distance of the point of
contraflexure from end A (in m) is _________.
33°
R 335m =

Answer: 0.25

19. In the water content of a fully saturated soil mass is 100% the void ratio of the sample is
(A) Less than specific gravity of soil
(B) equal to specific gravity of soil
(C) greater than specific gravity of soil
(D) independent of specific gravity of soil

20. The relationship between porosity ( ), specific yield (Sy) and specific retention (Sr) of an
unconfined aquifer is
(A) Sy + Sr = (B) Sy + = Sr (C) Sr + = Sy (D) Sy + Sr + =1

21. While minimizing the function f(x), necessary and sufficient conditions for a point, x0 to be a
minima are:
(A) f’(x0) > 0 and f ”(x0) = 0 (B) f’(x0) < 0 and f ”(x0) = 0
(C) f’(x0) = 0 and f ”(x0) < 0 (D) f’(x0) = 0 and f ”(x0) > 0

22. The combined correction due to curvature and refraction (in m) for distance of 1 km on the
surface of Earth is
(A) 0.0673 (B) 0.673
(C) 7.63 (D) 0.763

23. Surcharge loading required to placed on the horizontal backfill of a smooth retaining vertical wall
so as to completely eliminate tensile crack is:
(A) 2 c (B) 2 cka (C) a 2c k (D) a 2c / k

24. A nozzle is so shaped that the average flow velocity changes linearly from 1.5 m/s at the
beginning to 15 m/s at its end in a distance of 0.375 m. The magnitude of the convective
acceleration (in m/s2) at the end of the nozzle is _________.
Answer: 54

25. The following statements are made related to the lengths of turning lanes at signalized intersections

(i) 1.5 times the average number of vehicles (by vehicle type) that would store in turning lane per
cycle during the peak hour.
(ii) 2 times the average number of vehicles (by vehicle type) that would store in turning lane per
cycle during the peak hour.
(iii) Average number of vehicles (by vehicle type) that would store in the adjacent through lane
per cycle during the peak hour.
(iv) Average number of vehicles (by vehicle type) that would store in all lanes per cycle during
the peak hour.

As per the IRC recommendations, the correct choice for design length of storage lanes is
(A) Maximum of (ii and iii) (B) Maximum of (i and iii)
(C) Average of (i and iii) (D) Only (iv)

*Q. No. 26-55 Carry Two Marks Each

26. Ultimate BOD of a river water sample is 20 mg/L. BOD rate constant (natural log) is 0.15 day–1.
The respective values of BOD (in %) exerted and remaining after 7 days are:
(A) 45 and 55 (B) 55 and 45
(C) 65 and 35 (D) 75 and 25

27. A steel strip of length, L = 200 mm is fixed at end A and rests at B on a vertical spring of
stiffness, k = 2 N/mm. The steel strip is 5 mm wide and 10 mm thick. A vertical load, P = 50 N is
applied at B, as shown in the figure. Considering E = 200 GPa, the force (in N) developed in the
spring is _________.
Answer: 3

28. Match the information related to test on aggregates given in Group-I with that in Group-II.
Group-I Group-II
P. Resistance to impact 1. Hardness
Q. Resistance to wear 2. Strength
R. Resistance to weathering action 3. Toughness
S. Resistance to crushing 4. Soundness
(A) P-1, Q-3, R-4, S-2 (B) P-3, Q-1, R-4, S-2
(C) P-4, Q-1, R-3, S-2 (D) P-3, Q-4, R-2, S-1

29. A simply supported reinforced concrete beam of length 10 m sags while undergoing shrinkage.
Assuming a uniform curvature of 0.004 m–1 along the span, the maximum deflection (in m) of the
beam at mid-span is _______.
Answer: 0.0005

30. A 6 m high retaining wall having a smooth vertical back face retains a layered horizontal backfill.
Top 3 m thick layer of the backfill is sand having an angle of internal friction, = 30° while the
bottom layer is 3 m thick clay with cohesion, c = 20 kPa. Assume unit weight for both sand and
clay as 18 kN/m3. The totalactive earth pressure per unit length of the wall (in kN/m) is:
(A) 150 (B) 216 (C) 156 (D) 196

31. A simply supported beam AB of span, L = 24 m is subjected to two wheel loads acting at a
distance, d = 5 m apart as shown in the figure below. Each wheel transmits a load, P = 3 kN and
may occupy any position along the beam. If the beam is an I-section having section modulus, S =
16.2 cm3, the maximum bending stress (in GPa) due to the wheel loads is ___________
Answer: 1759.2

32. For probability density function of a random variable, x is( ) ( ) 2 x f x 4 x for 0 x 2 4 = − £ £ 0 otherwise =
The mean z of the random var ialbe is _____ µ
Answer: 1.0667

33. In a pre-stressed concrete beam section shown in the figure, the net loss is 10% and the final prestressing
force applied at X is 750 kN. The initial fiber stresses (in N/mm2) at the top and bottom
of the beam were:
(A) 4.166 and 20.833 (B) –4.166 and –20.833
(C) 4.166 and –20.833 (D) –4.166 and 20.833

34. A 588 cm3 volume of moist sand weighs 1010 gm. Its dry weight is 918 gm and specific gravity
of solids, G is 2.67. Assuming density of water as 1 gm/cm3, the void ratio is __________.
Answer: 0.71

35. A pipe of 0.7 m diameter has a length of 6 km and connects two reservoirs A and B. The water
level in reservoir A is at an elevation 30 m above the water level in reservoir B. Halfway along
the pipe line, there is a branch through which water can be supplied to a third reservoir C. The
friction factor of the pipe is 0.024. The quantity of water discharged into reservoir C is 0.15 m3/s.
Considering the acceleration due to gravity as 9.81 m/s2 and neglecting minor losses, the
discharge (in m3/s) into the reservoir B is __________.
Answer: 0.5716

36. A 4 m thick layer of normally consolidated clay has an average void ratio of 1.30. Its
compression index is 0.6 and coefficient of consolidation is 1 m2/yr. If the increase in vertical
pressure due to foundation load on the clay layer is equal to the existing effective overburden
pressure, the change in the thickness of the clay layer is ______ mm.
Answer: 314

37. According to the concept of Limit State Design as per IS456: 2000, the probability of failure of a
structure is __________.
Answer: 0.097

38. Two pegs A and B were fixed on opposite banks of a 50 m wide river. The level was set up at A
and the staff readings on Pegs A and B were observed as 1.350 m and 1.550 m, respectively.
Thereafter the instrument was shifted and set up at B. The staff readings on Pegs B and A were
observed as 0.750 m and 0.550 m, respectively. If the R.L. of Peg A is 100.200 m, the R.L. (in m)
of Peg B is _____
Answer: 100

39. Stress path equation for tri-axial test upon application of deviatoric stress is, q 10 3 0.5p. = + .
The respective values of cohesion, c (in kPa) and angle of internal friction, are:
(A) 20 and 20° (B) 20 and 30°
(C) 30 and 30° (D) 30 and 20°

The correct statement is:
(A) Fluid is incompressible and flow is irrotational
(B) Fluid is incompressible and flow is rotational
(C) Fluid is compressible and flow is irrotational
(D) Fluid is compressible and flow is rotational
q
p
b
½CE-GATE-2015 PAPER|
India’s No.1 institute for GATE Training 1 Lakh+ Students trained till date 65+ Centers across India

41. A triangular gate with a base width of 2 m and a height of 1.5 m lies in a vertical plane. The top
vertex of the gate is 1.5 m below the surface of a tank which contains oil of specific gravity 0.8.
Considering the density of water and acceleration due to gravity to be 1000 kg/m3 and 9.81 m/s2,
respectively, the hydrostatic force (in kN) exerted by the oil on the gate is __________.
Answer: 29.43

42. The average surface area of a reservoir in the month of June is 20 km2. In the same month, the
average rate of inflow is 10 m3/s, outflow rate is 15 m3/s, monthly rainfall is 10 cm, monthly
seepage loss is 1.8 cm and the storage change is 16 million m3. The evaporation (in cm) in that
month is
(A) 46.8 (B) 136.0 (C) 13.6 (D) 23.4

43. The two Eigen values of the matrix 2 11 p have a ratio of 3 : 1 for p = 2. What is another value
of p for which the Eigen values have the same ratio of 3 : 1?

(A) –2
(B) 1
(C) 7/3
(D) 14/3

44.The boundary conditions are at x = 0, y = 5 and at x = 2, y = 21
The value of at x = 1 is

Answer: -2

45. For step-size x 0.4, the value of following int egral usin g Simpson 's 1 3 rule is _________. D =

Answer: -3.8293

46. A field channel has cultivable commanded area of 2000 hectares. The intensities of irrigation forgram and wheat are 30% and 50% respectively. Gram has a kor period of 18 days, kor depth of
12 cm, while wheat has a kor period of 18 days and a kor depth of 15cm. The discharge (in m3/s)required in the field channel to supply water to the commanded area during the kor period is

Answer: 1.427

47. The relation between speed u (in km/h) and density k (number of vehicles/km) for a traffic stream
on a road is u = 70 – 0.7k. The capacity on this road is
vph (vehicles/hour).

Answer: 175

48. A water treatment plant of capacity, 1 m3/s has filter boxes of dimensions 6 m × 10 m. Loading
rate to the filters is 120 m3/day/m2. When two of the filters are out of service for back washing,
the loading rate (in m3/day/m2) is
Answer: 144

49. A pile of diameter 0.4 m is fully embedded in a clay stratum
having 5 layers, each 5 m thick asshown in the figure below. Assume aconstant unit weight of soil as 18 kN/m3 for all the layers.Using method ( = 0.15 for 25 m embedment length) and neglecting the end bearingcomponent, the ultimate pile capacity (in kN) is

Answer: 1060.29

50. In Marshall method of mix design, the coarse aggregate, fine aggregate, fines and bitumen havingrespective values of specific gravity 2.60, 2.70, 2.65 and 1.01, are mixed in the relative
proportions (% by weight) of 55.0, 35.8, 3.7 and 5.5 respectively. The theoretical specific gravityof the mix and the effective specific gravity of the aggregates in the mix respectively are

(A) 2.42 and 2.63 (B) 2.42 and 2.78
(C) 2.42 and 2.93 (D) 2.64 and 2.78

51. In a system two connected rigid bars AC and BC are of identical length, L with pin supports at A
and B. The bars are interconnected at C by a frictionless hinge. The rotation of the hinge is
restrained by a rotational spring of stiffness, k. The system initially assumes a straight line
configuration, ACB. Assuming both the bars as weightless, the rotation at supports, A and B, due
to a transverse load, P applied at C is

(A)PL4k
(B)PL2k
(C)P4k
(D)Pk4L

52. A fixed end beam is subjected to a load, W at 1/3rd span from the left support as shown in the
figure. The collapse load of the beam is
(A) 16.5 MP/L (B) 15.5 MP/L (C) 15.0 MP/L (D) 16.0 MP/L

53. In a wastewater treatment plant, primary sedimentation tank (PST) designed at an overflow rateof 32.5 m3/day/m2 is 32.5 m long, 80 m wide and liquid depth of 2.25 m. If the length of the weir
is 75 m, the weir loading rate (in m3/day/m) is

Answer: 112.67

54. A landfill is to be designed to serve a population of 200000 for a period of 25 years. The solidwaste (SW) generation is 2 kg/person/day. The density of the un-compacted SW is 100 kg/m3 anda compaction ratio of 4 is suggested. The ratio of compacted fill (i.e. SW + cover) to compacted
SW is 1.5. The landfill volume (in million m3) required is _______.

Answer: 21.9

55. The bearings of two inaccessible stations, S1 (Easting 500 m, Northing 500 m) and S2 (Easting
600 m, Northing 450 m) from a station S3 were observed as 225° and 153° 26 respectively. The
independent Easting (in m) of station S3 is:

(A) 450.000 (B) 570.710
(C) 550.000 (D) 650.000
GATE previous year papers detail to atteched two pdf files..................
Attached Files
File Type: pdf GATE previous year papers1.pdf (261.5 KB, 101 views)
File Type: pdf GATE previous year papers2.pdf (433.2 KB, 110 views)

Quick Reply
Your Username: Click here to log in