2023 2024 Student Forum > Management Forum > Main Forum

11th June 2018, 12:59 PM
Unregistered

Re: Past Papers of BA English Punjab University

Can you provide me the syllabus of M.A. (Master in Arts) English (Semester System) Program offered by Panjab University Chandigarh on which the question paper is based?
11th June 2018, 01:02 PM
Super Moderator

Re: Past Papers of BA English Punjab University

The syllabus of M.A. (Master in Arts) English (Semester System) Program offered by Panjab University Chandigarh on which the question paper is based is as follows:

M.A. PART-I
SEMESTER-I

PAPER-I: LITERARY CRITICISM - I
Note: There shall be one context-based question of 20 marks in which the candidate shall have to attempt three out of six short notes, to be answered in 200 words each. The notes are likely to cover a range of terms/concepts/trends/movements specific to the course.
In addition, there will be four essay-type questions of 15 marks each (to be answered in about 600 words each). One question with internal choice will be set from each of the following four prescribed texts/units:

Unit 1 Aristotle: Poetics (Chapters i-xvi)

Unit 2 William Wordsworth: Preface to the Lyrical Ballads (1800)

Unit 3 Matthew Arnold: The Study of Poetry

Unit 4 T.S. Eliot: Tradition and the Individual Talent

The texts of Wordsworth, Arnold, and Eliot essays are available in English Critical Texts edited by Enright and Chickera.

Suggested Readings:
1. David Daiches: Critical Approaches to Literature, 2nd ed., Hyderabad: Orient Longman, 2001.
2. F. L. Lucas: Tragedy in Relation to Aristotles Poetics, New Delhi: Allied Publishers, 1970.
3. Humphrey House: Aristotles Poetics, Ludhiana: Kalyani Publishers, 1970.
4. M. H. Abrams: A Glossary of Literary Terms, Singapore: Harcourt Asia Pvt. Ltd., 2000.
5. Rene Wellek: A History of Modern Criticism: 1750-1950, Vols. I-IV, London: Jonathan Cape, 1958.
6. M.A.R. Habib: A History of Literary Criticism: From Plato to the Present, Oxford: Blackwell, 2005.
7. Boris Ford (ed.): The Pelican Guide to English Literature, Vols. 4 & 5, London: Pelican, 1980.
8. Harry Blamires: A History of Literary Criticism, Delhi: Macmillan, 2001.
9. Patricia Waugh: Literary Theory & Criticism: An Oxford Guide, Delhi: OUP, 2006.
10. M.S. Nagarajan: English Literary Criticism & Theory : An Introductory History, Hyderabad : Orient Longman, 2006.

Syllabus M.A. English (Semester System) Panjab University Chandigarh

Quick Reply
Your Username: Click here to log in