2023 2024 Student Forum > Management Forum > Main Forum

12th April 2018, 10:59 PM
Unregistered

Re: Old Papers Political Science Punjab University

I am student of University of the Punjab from here doing MA Part 1 and looking for Old Papers Political Science. Will you provide MA Part 1 Political Science of Punjab University papers so that I can prepare well for exam also provide me complete M.A. Political Science Syllabus?
28th December 2019, 02:13 PM
Unregistered

Can you provide me the syllabus for M.A. (Master in Arts) Political Science Subject offered by Panjab University, Chandigarh on which the question paper is based?
28th December 2019, 02:31 PM
Super Moderator

The syllabus for M.A. (Master in Arts) Political Science Subject offered by Panjab University, Chandigarh on which the question paper is based is as follows:

FIRST SEMESTER

Course I : WESTERN POLITICAL THOUGHT-I

INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE PAPER-SETTERS AND CANDIDATES :

(i) The theory question paper will be of 80 marks and 20 marks will be for internal assessment.
(ii) For private candidates, who have not been assessed earlier for internal assessment, the marks secured by them in theory paper will proportionately be increased to maximum marks of the paper in lieu of internal assessment.
The paper setter must put note (ii) in the question paper.
The syllabus has been divided into four units.
There shall be 9 questions in all. The first question is compulsory and shall be short answer type containing 15 short questions spread over the whole syllabus to be answered in about 25 to 30 words each.
The candidates are required to attempt any 10 short answer type questions carrying 20 marks i.e. 2 marks for each. Rest of the paper shall contain 4 units. Each unit shall have two questions, and the candidates shall be given internal choice of attempting one question from each Unit – 4 in all. Each question will carry 15 marks.

Objectives : This paper aims to introduce to the students to the major themes of western political thought.
This will be done by undertaking an in-depth study of the key thinkers of this tradition.

Unit-I
1. Plato.
2. Aristotle.

Unit- II
1. St. Augustine.
2. St. Thomas Aquinas.

Unit-III
1. Machiavelli.
2. Hobbes.

Unit-IV
1. Locke.
2. Rousseau.

Essential Readings :
In addition to some sections from the original texts of the thinkers mentioned in the course (to be specified by the course-teacher), the students may refer to the following secondary literature :

General Text Books :
1. Dunning, W.A., A History of Political Theories, Allahabad (any edition).
2. Ebenstein, William, Great Political Thinkers, IBH, Oxford (any edition).
3. Sabine, G.H., A History of Political Theory, Oxford and IBH, Bombay (any edition).
4. Russell, Bertand, History of Western Philosophy, Simon and Schuster, New York (any edition).
5. Strauss, Leo and Joseph Cropsey, History of Political Philosophy, Rand McNally, 1968.

Suggested Readings :
1. Allen, J.W., A History of Political Thought in the Sixteenth Century, Methuen, London, 1964
(Ch. II Machiavelli).
2. Bakshi, O.P., Politics and Prejudice : Notes on Aristotle’s Political Theory, University of
Delhi,1975.
3. Barker, E., "Introduction" in E. Barker (ed.), The Politics of Aristotle, OUP, Oxford.
4. Barker, E., Greek Political Theory : Plato and His Predecessors, Methuen, London, 1947.
5. Barnes, Jonathan, Articles on Aristotle, Vol. 2, Ethics and Politics, Duckworth, London, 1977.
6. Berlin, Isaiah, The Originality of Machiavelli in I. Berlin, Against the Current, OUP, Oxford,
7. Brian R. Nelson, Western Political Thought, Pearson, Delhi, 2004.
8. Brown, Keith C. (ed.), Hobbes Studies, Basil Blackwell, 1965.
9. Cole, G.D.H. (Translator), The Social Contract and Discourses by Jean Jacques Rousseau
(Author) J.H. Brumfitt (Revised), London, Everyman’s Library, 1993.
10. Colletti, Lucio, "Rousseau as Critic of Civil Society" in Lucio Colletti ed. From Rousseau to
Lenin, OUP, Delhi, 1978.
11. Croix, GEM De Ste, The Class Struggle in the Ancient Greek World, Duckworth, London,
12. Crombie, I.M., An Examination of Plato’s Doctrines, Vol. I R.K.P., London, 1962.
13. Cross, R.C. & A.B. Woozley, Plato’s Republic, Macmillan, 1964.
14. Deane, Herbert, A., The Politics and Social Ideas of St. Augustine, Columbia University
Press, New York, 1963.
15. Dunn, John, Locke, Past Masters Series, OUP, Oxford, 1984, Chs. 1 & 2.
16. Dunn, John, The Political Thought of John Locke, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge,
17. Filed, G.C., The Philosophy of Plato, London, 1969.
18. Gilby, Thomas, B., The Political Thought of Thomas Aquinas, University of Chicago Press,
Chicago,1958.
19. Grimsley, Ronald, The Philosophy of Rousseau, OUP, London, 1973.
20. Hall, J.C., Rousseau, Introduction to His Political Philosophy, Macmillan, 1971.
21. Levinson, R.B., In Defence of Plato, Harvard University Press, Harvard, 1953.
22. Macpherson, C.B., "Introduction" in C.B. Macpherson (ed.), Leviathan of Hobbes,
Penguin, Harmondsworth, 1968.
23. Macpherson, C.B., Political Theory of Possessive Individualism, Hobbes to Locke, OUP,
London, 1962.
24. Masters, Roger D., The Political Philosophy of Rousseau, Princeton, 1968.
25. Muglan, R., Aristotle’s Political Theory, Clarendon, Oxford, 1977.
26. Newman, N.L., The Political Thought of Aristotle, 4 Vols., Clarendon, Oxford, 1887-1902.
27. Pocock, J., The Machiavellian Moment, Princeton, 1975.
28. Popper, Karl, The Open Society and Its Enemies, Vol. I : The Spell of Plato, R.K.P., London,
29. Raphael, D.D., Hobbes : Morals and Politics, George Allen & Unwin, London, 1977.
30. Skinner, Q., Machiavelli, Past Masters Series, OUP, Oxford, 1981.
31. Skinners, Q., Foundations of Modern Political Thought, Vol. 1 : The Rennaissance,
Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 1978 (Chs. 4, 5, 6).

Syllabus M.A. Political Science Panjab University, Chandigarh

Quick Reply
Your Username: Click here to log in