2023 2024 Student Forum > Management Forum > Main Forum

23rd January 2020, 09:54 AM
Unregistered

Re: National Eligibility Test Botany

Hi, I am MSc Botany degree holder; can you tell me which subject should I take up for University Grants Commission National Eligibility Test (UGC NET) Mains Exam? Provide me the Syllabus for the same?
23rd January 2020, 10:00 AM
Super Moderator

Re: National Eligibility Test Botany

Being MSc Botany degree holder, you should take Environmental Sciences as your University Grants Commission National Eligibility Test (UGC NET) Mains Exam subject. Its syllabus is as follows:

Subject: Environmental Sciences

Unit-I: Fundamentals of Environmental Sciences
Definition, Principles and Scope of Environmental Science
Structure and composition of atmosphere, hydrosphere, lithosphere and biosphere
Laws of thermodynamics, heat transfer processes, mass and energy transfer across various interfaces, material balance.
Meteorological parameters - pressure, temperature, precipitation, humidity, mixing ratio, saturation mixing ratio, radiation and wind velocity, adiabatic lapse rate, environmental lapse rate Wind roses
Interaction between Earth, Man and Environment Biogeographic provinces of the world and agro-climatic zones of India Concept of sustainable development
Natural resources and their assessment Remote Sensing and GIS: Principles of remote sensing and GIS. Digital image processing and ground truthing
Application of remote sensing and GIS in land cover/land use planning and management (urban sprawling, vegetation study, forestry, natural resource), waste management and climate change
Environmental education and awareness Environmental ethics

Unit-II: Environmental Chemistry
Fundamentals of Environmental Chemistry: Classification of elements, Stoichiometry, Gibbs’ energy, chemical potential, chemical kinetics, chemical equilibria, solubility of gases in water, the carbonate system, unsaturated and saturated hydrocarbons, radioisotopes.
Composition of air Particles, ions and radicals in the atmosphere Chemical speciation Chemical processes in the formation of inorganic and organic particulate matters, thermochemical and photochemical reactions in the atmosphere, Oxygen and Ozone chemistry. Photochemical smog Hydrological cycle Water as a universal solvent Concept of DO, BOD and COD Sedimentation, coagulation, flocculation, filtration, pH and Redox potential (Eh)
Inorganic and organic components of soils Biogeochemical cycles – nitrogen, carbon, phosphorus and sulphur.
Toxic chemicals: Pesticides and their classification and effects. Biochemical aspects of heavy metals (Hg, Cd, Pb, Cr) and metalloids (As, Se) CO, O3, PAN, VOC and POP Carcinogens in the air
Principles of analytical methods: Titrimetry, Gravimetry, Bomb Calorimetry, Chromatography (Paper Chromatography, TLC, GC and HPLC), Flame photometry, Spectrophotometry (UV-VIS, AAS, ICP-AES, ICP-MS), Electrophoresis, XRF, XRD, NMR, FTIR, GC-MS, SEM, TEM.

UGC NET Environmental Sciences Syllabus

Attached Files
File Type: pdf UGC NET Environmental Sciences Syllabus.pdf (347.5 KB, 24 views)

Quick Reply
Your Username: Click here to log in