2023 2024 Student Forum > Management Forum > Main Forum

30th April 2015, 08:01 AM
Unregistered

Mri dce

My doctor suggest me Dynamic Contrast Enhanced - Magnetic Resonance Imaging (DCE-MRI) for analysis of blood vessels generated by a tumor so please tell me that this MRI is safe or it have some side effects? Also tell me about changes of DCE-MRI?
4th September 2018, 12:30 PM
Unregistered

Re: Mri dce

Hii sir, Will you Please tell Me What is DCE imaging and how does it differ from DSC imaging ?
4th September 2018, 12:30 PM
Super Moderator

Re: Mri dce

Dynamic Contrast Enhanced (DCE) imaging measures T1 changes in tissues over time after bolus administration of gadolinium. It differs from Dynamic Susceptibility Contrast (DSC) imaging in that the latter measures T2 and T2* changes.

Immediately after injection, gadolinium contrast agents reside in plasma and are circulated to organs in proportion to blood flow.

The relatively small molecular size of these agents (500 1000 Da) allows them to pass through the vascular endothelium via passive diffusion into the extracellular space of most tissues.

The only exceptions are the brain and spinal cord, where specialized tight endothelial junctions create a blood-brain barrier (BBB) that precludes this process.

If the BBB is disrupted by tumor, infection, or other disease, however, gadolinium will then accumulate, producing T1-shortening and contrast enhancement.

Breakdown of BBB in a glioma
Observing and quantifying the time course of this contrast enhancement is the major goal of DCE imaging. As a general principle, the degree of contrast enhancement depends on regional blood flow (F),

the size and number of blood vessels quantified by their surface area per unit mass of tissue (S), and their leakiness or permeability (P).

Quick Reply
Your Username: Click here to log in