2023 2024 Student Forum > Management Forum > Main Forum

25th February 2016, 08:31 AM
Unregistered

Momentum Definition Physics

Hello sir, I am Pappu Singh. I am from Bathinda. I want you to help me by providing me some information about the momentum definition in physics. Also give some examples.
Similar Threads
Thread
Definition Of IAF Architect
ETF Issuer Definition
TB MDR Definition
Momentum IIT JEE Gorakhpur
PMET Definition
Mobilization Definition
MBA Definition Wiki
HRM Definition
Definition Of Bacteria
Law Of Inertia Definition
MBA Definition
Definition of MBA
Xavier MBA Momentum Program
MBA ots delinquency definition
Definition Of Refinancing
J2EE Definition
Mechatronics Definition
Civil Law Definition
Definition of finance
CDS Spread Definition
25th February 2016, 08:31 AM
Super Moderator

Re: Momentum Definition Physics

Momentum is a physics term; it denotes to the quantity of motion that an object has.

If an object is in motion (on the move) then it has momentum.

Momentum can be defined as "mass in motion." All objects have mass; so if an object is moving, then it has momentum - it has its mass in motion.

The amount of momentum that an object has is dependent upon two variables: how much a thing is moving and how fast the stuff is moving. Momentum depends upon the variables mass and velocity.

In terms of an equation, the momentum of an object is equal to the mass of the object times the velocity of the object.
Momentum = mass * velocity

In physics, the symbol for the quantity momentum is the lower case p. Thus, the above equation can be rewritten as
p = m * v

where m is the mass and v is the velocity. The equation illustrates that momentum is directly proportional to an object's mass and directly proportional to the object's velocity.

The units for momentum would be mass units times velocity units.

The standard metric unit of momentum is the kg•m/s. While the kg•m/s is the standard metric unit of momentum, there are a variety of other units that are acceptable (though not conventional) units of momentum.

Examples include kg•mi/hr, kg•km/hr, and g•cm/s. In each of these examples, a mass unit is multiplied by a velocity unit to provide a momentum unit. This is consistent with the equation for momentum.

Quick Reply
Your Username: Click here to log in