2023 2024 Student Forum > Management Forum > Main Forum

26th December 2015, 08:34 AM
Unregistered

MBA Verbal Questions

Hello sir I am Divyanshi and I want to do MBA and therefore preparing for XAT Exam and facing problem in Verbal Section so will you please provide me some sample question of this Section so that I can get idea what type of questions are generally asked from this Section??
Similar Threads
Thread
Verbal Reasoning Questions For Elitmus
NMAT Verbal Questions PDF
NMAT Verbal Questions
MBA verbal ability questions
GRE Practice Questions Verbal
GRE Verbal Test
Practice GRE Verbal Questions
GMAT Verbal Questions
GRE Verbal Reasoning
GRE Sample Verbal Questions
GRE Verbal Questions
IBPS PO Verbal Questions
Verbal Ability for MBA
MBA Verbal Ability
Tips for GRE Verbal
AFCAT Verbal Questions
Verbal, Aptitude, Logical Reasoning Questions
TCS Placement Verbal & Non-Verbal Reasoning Exam Preparation Books
Method To Solve Non Verbal Resoning Questions
Tips For Solving Non Verbal Reasoning Questions
26th December 2015, 08:34 AM
Super Moderator

Re: MBA Verbal Questions

Here as per your demand I am providing you sample question from Verbal Section of XAT Exam
Directions (1 - 3): Read the following passages carefully and answer the questions that follow:
A group of leading film-makers is seeking to dilute the strong tobacco control measures undertaken by successive governments. The film-makers have made a representation to the Information and Broadcasting Ministry to withdraw the stipulation that cinemas run a warning scroll whenever smoking scenes appear on screen. The argument that showing the scrolls in the manner it is done affects the creativity of the scenes is at best specious. Appearing at the bottom of the screen, the warning does not in any way affect any aspect of creativity. The World Health Organization has stated that the “implementation of a comprehensive ban on tobacco advertising and promotion should not prevent legitimate artistic expression”. But that cannot be an argument against the use of the warning scrolls during smoking scenes.

There is a body of evidence to show that watching movies that have smoking scenes produces a strong impact on young and impressionable minds, encouraging them to try out smoking. The U.S. Surgeon General’s Report of 2012 has made it clear that rating movies with smoking scenes as ‘R’ (restricted) would lead to a reduction in smoking among the youth. Last year the Surgeon General’s Report went a step further and said an 18 per cent drop in the rate of smoking by the youth could be effected if all movies classified as ‘PG-13’ (parents strongly cautioned that some material may be inappropriate for children under 13 years) eliminated smoking scenes. Even if the government does not propose such laws, the least it could do is to maintain the status quo and not succumb to pressure on this count. The warning scroll is an effective way of communicating the dangers of smoking and improving awareness in general about the hazards of smoking. Those in the 15-24 year group account for over 27 per cent of tobacco consumption in India; withdrawing the stipulation to display the warning message will inevitably increase that proportion.

1. According to the passage, the film makers are protesting for:

a) Banning of tobacco for under-13 children.
b) Government’s initiative to ban smoking all over the country.
c) Eliminating the warning scrolls from the movies whenever smoking scenes appear on cinema screen.
d) Rating the movies as ‘Restricted’ which involves smoking scenes.
e) All of the above

2. As per the last few years U.S. Surgeon General’s Report, what can help in reducing the cases of smoking among the youth?

a) Putting a warning scroll during the smoking scenes of the movie.
b) Rating movies with smoking scenes as restricted.
c) Stop selling tobacco near Cinema Hall.
d) Advertising tobacco ban commercials in the cinema hall.
e) Banning tobacco and smoking all over the country.

3. The author of the passage is in the favor of which of the following argument?

a) Filmmakers’ protest against warning scroll is valid.
b) Warning scrolls are required during the smoking scenes of the movie.
c) Warning scrolls affect every aspect of creativity of the filmmakers.
d) The proportion of tobacco eaters and smokers will decrease, even without warning scrolls.
e) None of the above

Direction (4-5): Fill in the blanks with the most appropriate option that follows.

4. According to the Reserve Bank of India (RBI), the banking sector in India is sound, adequately__________and well-regulated. Indian financial and__________conditions are much better than in many other countries of the world.

a) Realised, Climatic
b) Subsidised, Political
c) Defunded, Environmental
d) Capitalised, Economic
e) Subsidised, Economic

5. The party claims __________ the government’s efforts to communicate__________the Opposition__________high on atmospherics and low on substance. It is now time both sides__________above partisan considerations.
a) that, with, has been, rise
b) that, with, has been, rose
c) that, with, have been, rose
d) which, with, have been, rose
e) which, from, have been, rose

Directions (6 - 7): The sentences given in each question, when properly sequenced, form a coherent paragraph. Each sentence is labeled with a letter. Choose the most logical order of sentences from among the given choices to construct a coherent paragraph.

I. Over the past three months, the conflict has forced over a million Yemenis to flee their homes, and 21 million are in need of immediate help.
II. Some 15 million people have no health care, and outbreaks of dengue fever and malaria are raging unchecked, in part because a fuel shortage has cut the electricity that keeps water pumps functioning.
III. The armed conflict is the biggest obstacle for United Nations relief agencies and private groups that are trying to reach desperate Yemenis, but a Saudi-imposed blockade along the coastline is also impeding crucial supplies from getting to those in need.
IV. The statistics are staggering.
V. Close to 13 million people are hungry and nearly half the provinces are “one step away” from famine, the United Nations said.
a) I, IV, II, V, III
b) IV, I, II, V, III
c) IV, I, V, II, III
d) I, IV, V, II, III
e) I, IV, III, V, II

I. A true reflection on the state of neglect faced by the rubber farmers is the fact that this apex body that controls the fortunes of this once robust sector has not been reconstituted even 14 months after the 28-member board’s term expired on February 28, 2014.
II. The Centre will do well to announce a national rubber policy that complements the prime minister’s Make in India policy.
III. If China, the largest exporter of rubber products to India, is fast becoming self-sufficient, no one can pretend that it has not been at India’s cost.
IV. Because what exists is the obsolete Indian Rubber Act, 1947, which has no provisions for synthetic rubber and reclaimed rubber.
V. The first step would be to strengthen the Rubber Board, which is facing acute financial crisis following the drastic cut in its budget allocation.
VI. And key posts such as secretary and rubber production commissioner have been without full-time functionaries for nearly a decade.

a) III, II, IV, V, I, VI
b) II, IV, V, I, VI, III
c) II, IV, V, I, III, VI
d) III, II, IV, V, VI, I
e) II, V, IV, I, III, VI

8. The youth require a mental faculty endowed with multi-dimensional intelligence. It is not adequate to foster cognitive intelligence alone — as is being done in India’s educational campuses today — but to also develop the other dimensions of intelligence: emotional, social, moral, spiritual, environmental, and innovational. India’s vast youth population is its demographic potential dividend, but only if equipped and enabled with this seven-dimensional intelligence.
The writer of the above statement makes which of the following assumptions?
a) India’s current education system is currently not equipped with the idea of seven-dimensional intelligence.
b) India’s current education system is an example of enabling seven-dimensional intelligence.
c) Cognitive Intelligence is missing in India’s educational campuses.
d) India’s youth is not potential to become multi-dimensional intelligent.
e) Environmental and Innovational dimensions can be found in India’s present education system.

9. The fact of the matter is that there is a strong case for increasing the farm subsidies, at least indirectly. The Indian farm sector is now passing through a difficult period, as underscored by the suicides of farmers reported from states like Maharashtra and Andhra.
Which of the following would strengthen the above argument?
a) Increasing farm subsidies will put fiscal pressure on the government.
b) Increasing farm subsidies will reduce the incidences of farmer suicide.
c) Increasing farm subsidies is not the ultimate solution for reducing the incidences of farmer suicide.
d) Increasing farm subsidies will help the government to increase its revenue.
e) Increasing farm subsidies will slowdown growth of agriculture sector.

10. Drug addiction, like other habits such as smoking and drinking, almost always begins under peer pressure with teenagers being influenced by those of their high school and college colleagues who are only slightly older to join the “gang” and become adults, so to say. Even if in the initial stages, those youngsters who have been induced to start taking drugs do not find it pleasurable, they are unwilling to break away lest they offend seniors.
Which of the following, if true, will most weaken the above argument
a) Some teenagers could not break away from the habit of drug addiction in fear of offending their seniors.
b) Habit of drug addiction begins under pressure.
c) Teenagers are influenced to choose drugs by slightly older people to make them join the gang.
d) Teenagers willingly choose drugs for pleasure.
e) These days’ teenagers are easily influenced to become drug addicts.

Answer Key:
1. (c), 2. (b), 3. (b), 4. (d), 5. (c), 6. (c), 7. (b), 8. (a), 9. (b), 10. (d)

Quick Reply
Your Username: Click here to log in