2023 2024 Student Forum > Management Forum > Main Forum

10th July 2015, 08:27 AM
Super Moderator

MA English Syllabus Punjab University Chandigarh

Will you please provide here syllabus for MA English course offered by Punjab University Chandigarh as I am looking for the same?

As you want I am here giving you syllabus for MA English course offered by Punjab University Chandigarh.

Syllabus of MA English course:
M.A. PART-I
SEMESTER-I

PAPER-I: LITERARY CRITICISM – I

Unit 1. Aristotle : Poetics (Chapters i-xvi)

Unit 2. William Wordsworth : Preface to the Lyrical Ballads (1800)

Unit 3. Matthew Arnold : “The Study of Poetry”

Unit 4. T.S. Eliot : “Tradition and the Individual Talent”

PAPER-II: BRITISH POETRY- I

Unit 1. John Donne : “
Satyre: Of Religion”.
“The Good-Morrow”
“The Canonization”
“At the Earth’s Imagin’d Corners”
Batter My Heart, Three Person’d God”

Unit 2. Alexander Pope :
“The Rape of the Lock”

Unit 3. John Keats :
“Ode to a Nightingale”
“Ode on a Grecian Urn”
“Ode on Melancholy”
“To Autumn”
“Ode to Psyche”

Unit 4. Robert Browning :
“My Last Duchess”
“Andrea del Sarto”
“The Last Ride Together”
“Rabbi Ben Ezra”
“The Grammarian’s Funeral”
Syllabus of MA English course
SEMESTER-I
PAPER-I: LITERARY CRITICISM - I
Note: There shall be one context-based question of 20 marks in which the candidate shall have to attempt
three out of six short notes, to be answered in 200 words each. The notes are likely to cover a range of
terms/concepts/trends/movements specific to the course.
In addition, there will be four essay-type questions of 15 marks each (to be answered in about 600
words each). One question with internal choice will be set from each of the following four prescribed
texts/units :
Unit 1. Aristotle : Poetics (Chapters i-xvi)
Unit 2. William Wordsworth : Preface to the Lyrical Ballads (1800)
Unit 3. Matthew Arnold : “The Study of Poetry”
Unit 4. T.S. Eliot : “Tradition and the Individual Talent”
The texts of Wordsworth, Arnold, and Eliot essays are available in English Critical Texts edited
by Enright and Chickera.
Suggested Readings :
1. David Daiches: Critical Approaches to Literature, 2nd ed., Hyderabad: Orient Longman, 2001.
2. F. L. Lucas: Tragedy in Relation to Aristotle’s Poetics, New Delhi: Allied Publishers, 1970.
3. Humphrey House: Aristotle’s Poetics, Ludhiana: Kalyani Publishers, 1970.
4. M. H. Abrams: A Glossary of Literary Terms, Singapore: Harcourt Asia Pvt. Ltd., 2000.
5. Rene Wellek: A History of Modern Criticism: 1750-1950, Vols. I-IV, London: Jonathan Cape, 1958.
6. M.A.R. Habib: A History of Literary Criticism: From Plato to the Present, Oxford: Blackwell, 2005.
7. Boris Ford (ed.): The Pelican Guide to English Literature, Vols. 4 & 5, London: Pelican, 1980.
8. Harry Blamires: A History of Literary Criticism, Delhi: Macmillan, 2001.
9. Patricia Waugh: Literary Theory & Criticism: An Oxford Guide, Delhi: OUP, 2006.
10. M.S. Nagarajan: English Literary Criticism & Theory : An Introductory History, Hyderabad : Orient
Longman, 2006.
PAPER-II: BRITISH POETRY- I
Note: There shall be one context-based question of 20 marks in which the candidate shall have to attempt
three out of six short notes, to be answered in 200 words each. The notes are likely to cover a range of
terms/concepts/trends/movements specific to the course. The question will test the candidate’s
awareness of the history of English poetry from Chaucer to the end of the 19th century and will be of
general nature, not author or text-based.
In addition, there will be four essay-type questions of 15 marks each (to be answered in about 600
words each). One question with internal choice will be set from each of the following four prescribed
texts/units:
Unit 1. John Donne : “Satyre: Of Religion”.
“The Good-Morrow”
“The Canonization”
“At the Earth’s Imagin’d Corners”
Batter My Heart, Three Person’d God”
Unit 2. Alexander Pope : “The Rape of the Lock”
Unit 3. John Keats : “Ode to a Nightingale”
“Ode on a Grecian Urn”
“Ode on Melancholy”
“To Autumn”
“Ode to Psyche”
Unit 4. Robert Browning : “My Last Duchess”
“Andrea del Sarto”
“The Last Ride Together”
“Rabbi Ben Ezra”
“The Grammarian’s Funeral”
Suggested Readings:
1. Joan Bennett : Five Metaphysical Poets, Cambridge: Cambridge University
Press, 1964.
2. Helen Gardner ed. : John Donne: A Collection of Critical Essays (Twentieth Century
Views Series) New Delhi: Prentice Hall India Ltd., 1979.
3. George Williamson : A Reader’s Guide to the Metaphysical Poets, Yugoslavia:
Thomas & Hudson, 1988.
4. Abrams, M.H. : English Romantic Poets: Modern Essays in Criticism, 2nd ed.,
Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1975.
5. Fraser, G.S. ed. : Keats: The Odes (Case Book Series), London: Macmillan, 1971.
6. Stuart M. Sperry : Keats: The Poet, New Jersey: Princeton University Press, 1973.
7. Earl R. Wasserman : The Finer Tone: Keats’ Major Poems, Baltimore: The John
Hopkins Press, 1967.
8. Walter Jackson Bate (ed.) : Keats: A Collection of Critical Essays, New Delhi: Prentice Hall
India Pvt. Ltd., 1978.
9. Drew, P. (ed.) : Robert Browning: A Collection of Critical Essays, New Delhi:
Macmillan, 1985.
10. J.R. Watson (ed.) : Browning: Men and Women and Other Poems (Case Book
Series), New Delhi: Macmillan, 1986.
PAPER III: BRITISH DRAMA-I
terms/concepts/trends/movements specific to the course. The question will test the candidate’s awareness of
the history of English drama from the beginnings to the end of early 20th century, and will be of general
nature, not author or text-based.
In addition, there will be four essay-type questions of 15 marks each (to be answered in about 600 words
each). One question with internal choice will be set from each of the following four prescribed texts/units:
Unit 1. Christopher Marlowe : Doctor Faustus
Unit 2. William Shakespeare : King Lear
Unit 3. Richard Sheridan : The School for Scandal
Unit 4. George Bernard Shaw : Pygmalion
Suggested Readings:
1. Clifford Leech : Christopher Marlowe: A Collection of Critical Essays (Twentieth
Century Views Series), New Delhi: Prentice Hall India, 1978.
2. Judith O’Neill : Critics on Marlowe, London: Allen & Unwin, 1969.
3. Ghanshiam Sharma
(ed.)
: Reinterpretations of Marlowe’s Faustus: A Collection of Critical
Essays, New Delhi: Doaba House, 1984.
4. A. C. Bradley : Shakespearean Tragedy: Lectures on Hamlet, Othello, King Lear,
Macbeth, New Delhi: Dodo Press, 2009.
5. Ralph J. Kaufmann : Elizabethan Drama: Modern Essays in Criticism, Oxford: Oxford
University Press, 1970.
6. Alfred Harbage : Shakespeare: The Tragedies: A Collection of Critical Essays, New
Delhi: Pearson, 2005.
7. Janet Adelman (ed.) : Twentieth Century Interpretations of King Lear, New Delhi: Prentice-
Hall India, 1980.
8. James Morwood &
David Crane, (Ed.)
: Sheridan Studies, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1996.
9. Eric Bentley : Bernard Shaw, London: Limelight Editions, 1985.
10. Colin Wilson : Bernard Shaw, A Reassessment, Athenum, 1969.
11. G. E. Brown : George Bernard Shaw, London: Evans Brothers, 1970.
12. Christopher Innes
(ed.)
: Cambridge Companion to George Bernard Shaw, Cambridge:
Cambridge University Press, 2006.
PAPER-IV: BRITISH FICTION-I
terms/concepts/trends/movements specific to the course. The question will test the candidate’s awareness of
the history of English novel from the 17th century to the end of the 19th century, and will be of general nature,
not author or text-based.
In addition, there will be four essay-type questions of 15 marks each (to be answered in about 600 words
each). One question with internal choice will be set from each of the following four prescribed texts/units:
Unit 1. Henry Fielding : Joseph Andrews
Unit 2. Charles Dickens : Hard Times
Unit 3. Charlotte Bronte : Jane Eyre
Unit 4. Thomas Hardy : Jude, the Obscure
Suggested Readings:
1. Terry Eagleton : The English Novel: An Introduction, Oxford: Blackwell, 2005.
2. Martin C. Battestin : The Moral Basis of Fielding’s Art: A Study of Joseph Andrews,
Connecticut: Wesleyan University Press, 1967.
3. R. Paulson : Henry Fielding: A Collection of Critical Essays (Twentieth Century
Views Series), New Delhi: Prentice Hall India, 1976.
4. Alberto J. Rivero : Critical Essays on Henry Fielding, London: Barnes & Noble, 1998.
5. Jill Campbell : Natural Masques Gender and Identity in Fielding’s Plays and Novels,
Stanford: Stanford University Press, 1995.
6. Edward Gray (ed.) : 20th Century Interpretations of Hard Times: A Collection of Critical
Essays, New Delhi: Prentice Hall Pvt. Ltd., 1969.
7. Harold Bloom ed., : Modern Critical Interpretations: Charles Dickens’ Hard Times, New
York: Chelsea House, 1987.
8. Philip Collins (ed.) : Dickens’ Hard Times: A Critical Heritage, London: Routledge & Kegan
Paul, 1971.
9. Judith O’Neill (ed.) : Critics on Charlotte Bronte & Emily Bronte, Miami: University of Miami
Press, 1979.
10. Miriam Allott (ed.) : Charlotte Bronte: Jane Eyre (Casebook Series).
11. Jill Karson : Readings on Jane Eyre, Readings on Jane Eyre, San Diego, CA: Green
Haven Press, 2000.
SEMESTER-II
PAPER-I: LITERARY CRITICISM-II
the history of English criticism in 20th century (up to 1960), and will be of general nature, not author or textbased.
Prescribed Texts:
Unit 1. Formalist Approach
Unit 2. Psychological Approach
Unit 3. Mythological and Archetypal Approach
Unit 4. “Literature and History” (First Chapter of Terry Eagleton’s Marxism & Literary Criticism)
Units 1, 2 and 3 are based on corresponding sections from Guerin et al, ed., A Handbook of Critical
Approaches to Literature
Suggested Readings:
1. Wimsatt and Brooks: Literary Criticism: A Short History, New Delhi: Oxford & IBH Pub. Co., 1974.
2. David Robey & Ann Jefferson: Modern Literary Theory, London: Batsford, 1986.
3. Harry Blamires: A History of Literary Criticism, Delhi: Macmillan, 2001.
4. M.A.R. Habib: A History of Literary Criticism: From Plato to the Present, Oxford: Blackwell, 2005.
5. M.S. Nagarajan, English Literary Criticism & Theory: An Introductory History, Hyderabad: Orient
Longman, 2006.
6. Patricia Waugh: Literary Theory & Criticism: An Oxford Guide, New Delhi: Oxford University Press,
7. Frank Lentriccia, After the New Criticism, Chicago: Chicago University Press, 1980.
8. Hans Bertens, Literary Theory: The Basics, New York: Routledge, 2003.
9. Peter Barry: Beginning Theory: An Introduction to Literary & Cultural Theories, 2nd ed., Manchester:
Manchester University Press, 2004.
10. Raman Selden: A Reader’s Guide to Contemporary Literary Theory, New Delhi: Pearson, 2006.
11. John Crowe Ransom, The New Criticism, New York: New Directions, 1941.
12. I.A. Richards, Practical Criticism, London: Routledge & Paul, 1964.
13. Terry Eagleton, Marxism and Literary Criticism, University of California Press: London, 1976.
PAPER-II: BRITISH POETRY-II
the history of English poetry in 20th century, and will be of general nature, not author or text-based.
Unit 1. W. B. Yeats : “Easter 1916”
“The Second Coming”
“A Prayer for My Daughter”
“Sailing to Byzantium”
“The Circus Animals’ Desertion”
Unit 2. T. S. Eliot : “The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock”
“The Hollowmen”
Unit 3. W. H. Auden : “In Memory of W. B. Yeats”
“ Musee des Beaux Arts”
“September 1, 1939”
“Shield of Achilles”
“Funeral Blues”
Unit 4. Ted Hughes : “The Jaguar”
“Hawk Roosting”
“Thrushes”
“Crow Alights’
“Crow’s Last Stand”
Suggested Readings:
1. David A. Moody: The Cambridge Companion to T.S. Eliot, Cambridge: Cambridge University
Press, 2003.
2. Bernard Bergonzi: T. S. Eliot (Masters of World Literature), London: Macmillan, 1978.
3. Helen Gardner: The Art of T.S. Eliot, New Delhi: Penguin, 1988.
4. John Lucas: Modern English Poetry – from Hardy to Hughes: A Critical Survey, London, Batsford
Ltd., 1986.
5. Edward Maline: A Preface to Yeats, London: Longman Group Ltd., 1983.
6. Jon Stallworthy (ed.): Yeats’ Last Poems (Casebook Series), New Delhi: Macmillan, 1968.
7. Keith Sagar: The Art of Ted Hughes, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1975.
8. Stephen Spender: Eliot (Fontana Modern Masters), Glasgow: William Collins & Sons Ltd., 1967.
9. Terry Gifford, Neil Roberts: Ted Hughes: A Critical Study, London: Faber & Faber, 1981.
10. Edward Mendelson: Early Auden, London: Faber & Faber, 1999.
11. Stan Smith, Cambridge Companion to W.H. Auden, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2004.
PAPER-III: BRITISH DRAMA-II
the history of English drama in 20th century, and will be of general nature, not author or text-based.
Unit 1. T. S. Eliot : Murder in the Cathedral
Unit 2. Samuel Beckett : Waiting for Godot
Unit 3. John Osborne : Look Back in Anger
Unit 4. Tom Stoppard : Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Suggested Readings:
1. Christopher Innes, Modern British Drama: The Twentieth Century, 2nd edition, Cambridge: Cambridge
University Press, 2002.
2. Hugh Kenner: A Reader’s Guide to Samuel Beckett, New York: Grove Press, 1961.
3. John Fletcher: Samuel Beckett's Art, London: Chatto and Windus, 1967.
4. Ruby Cohn, A Casebook on ‘Waiting for Godot', New York: Grove Press, 1967.
5. Ronald Hayman, Samuel Beckett, London: Heinemann, 1968.
6. John Russell Taylor: Anger and After: A Guide to the New British Drama, London: Methuen, 1969.
7. Kenneth Allsop: The Angry Decade: A Survey of the Cultural Revolt of the 1950s, London: John Good
Child Publishers, 1984.
8. John Russell Brown (ed.): A Short Guide to Modern British Drama, London: Barnes & Noble, 1983.
9. Michael Anderson, Anger and Detachment: A Study of Arden, Osborne and Pinter, London: Pitman,
10. Ronald Hayman: John Osborne (Contemporary Playwrights Series), London: Heinemann Educational,
11. Harold Bloom, (ed.): Tom Stoppard [Bloom's Major Dramatists], New York: Chelsea House, 2003.
12. Katherine E. Kelly (ed.): The Cambridge Companion to Tom Stoppard, Cambridge: Cambridge
University Press, 2001.
13. Jenkins, Anthony: The Theatre of Tom Stoppard, Austin: University of Texas Press, 2003.
PAPER-IV: BRITISH FICTION-II
the history of English novel in the 20th century, and will be of general nature, not author or text-based.
each). One question with internal choice will be set from each of the four prescribed texts:
Unit 1. D. H. Lawrence : Sons and Lovers
Unit 2. Virginia Woolf : Mrs. Dalloway
Unit 3. Joseph Conrad : Heart of Darkness
Unit 4. William Golding : Lord of the Flies
Suggested Readings:
1. Bernard Bergonzi, Reading the Thirties: Texts and Contexts, Pittsburgh: Pittsburgh University Press,
2. George M. Johnson, Dynamic Psychology in Modern British Fiction, London: Palgrave Macmillan,
3. Geoff Dyer, Out of Sheer Rage: Wrestling with D.H. Lawrence, North Point Press, 1999.
4. Anne Fernihough, The Cambridge Companion to D.H. Lawrence, Cambridge University Press, 2001.
5. Keith Sagar, D.H. Lawrence: Life into Art, New York: Penguin, 1986.
6. Jeremy Hawthorn, Virginia Woolf's Mrs. Dalloway: A Study in Alienation, Sussex University Press,
7. Harold Bloom, Virginia Woolf’s Mrs. Dalloway (Bloom’s Modern Critical Interpretations), London:
Chelsea House Publications, 1988.
8. Richard Adams: Heart of Darkness. London: Penguin, 1991.
9. Harold Bloom, (ed.): Marlow. New York: Chelsea House, 1992.
10. Robert Burden: Heart of Darkness, London: Macmillan Educational, 1991.
SEMESTER-III
PAPER-I: LITERARY THEORY-I
Objectives:
The paper provides an important study of literary theory as an intellectual and critical activity 1960
onwards. Central to this course is the analysis of some of the major critical contributions to this area which
form a benchmark in understanding the dynamics of literary/critical methods. The course takes up major
strands of modern literary theory and provides a conceptual context for an understanding of the function and
practice of modern literary and cultural criticism.
the history of literary theory 1960 onwards, and will be of general nature, not author or text-based.
Prescribed Texts:
Unit-1 Roland Barthes: “The Death of the Author” from Roland Barthes, Image, Music, Text (London:
Flamingo, 1977): 142-48. Also in David Lodge (ed.) Modern Criticism and Theory: A Reader
(London and New York: Longman, 1988): 166-72.
Unit-2 Wolfgang Iser: “The Reading Process: a Phenomenological Approach” from David Lodge (ed.)
Modern Criticism and Theory: A Reader (London and New York: Longman, 1988).
Unit-3 M. H. Abrams: “The Deconstructive Angel” (from David Lodge (ed.) Modern Criticism and Theory:
A Reader, London and New York: Longman, 1988).
Unit-4 Raymond Williams: “Base and Superstructure”; and “Dominant, Residual and Emergent.” From
Raymond Williams, Marxism & Literature (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1977): 75-82 and
121-27.
Suggested Reading:
1. Peter Barry: Beginning Theory (Manchester and New York: Manchester University Press, 1995).
2. Raman Selden: A Reader’s Guide to Contemporary Literary Theory (New Jersey: Prentice-Hall, 1985).
3. Ann Jefferson & David Robey, eds., : Modern Literary Theory (New York: Barnes and Noble, 1982).
4. Terry Eagleton: Literary Theory: An Introduction (Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press, 1983).
5. …. Marxism and Literary Criticism (Berkeley and Los Angeles: University of California Press, 1976).
6. Krishnaswamy et al.: Contemporary Literary Theory: A Student’s Companion (New Delhi: Macmillan,
2000).
7. Jonathan Culler: Barthes (Great Britain: Fontana, 1983).
8. Jeremy Hawthorn, A Concise Glossary of Contemporary Literary Theory (London: Edward Arnold, 1992).
9. Stuart Sim, ed., AZ: Guide to Modern Literary and Cultural Theorists (London: Harvester Wheatsheaf,
1995).
10.John Sturrock: The Word from Paris: Essays on Modern French Thinkers and Writers (London: Verso,
1998).
10 M.A. ENGLISH (SEMESTER SYSTEM) SYLLABUS
PAPER-II: INDIAN WRITING IN ENGLISH
Objectives:
The focus of this paper is the study of Indian contribution to literature in English, from the early advent of
English in India to contemporary writing in English. The history and development of Indian Writing in
English is scrutinized with reference to the Indian Nationalist Movement, the philosophical thinking of
political and social leaders/activists like Mahatma Gandhi, Pandit Jawahar Lal Nehru, Raja Rammohan Roy
and others. The issues raised by diasporic movements across the globe, post coloniality and the emergence of
modern India is also a part of the study of this paper.
the history of Indian writing in English, and will be of general nature, not author or text-based.
Prescribed Texts:
Unit I: Raja Rao : Kanthapura
Unit II: This unit will have three poets and there will be three poems by each :
(a) Agha Shahid Ali : “Farewell”, “Ghazal”, (“Where are you now ?”) and “The Country
without a Post Office”. Available in The Country without a Post
Office, Delhi. Ravi Dayal, 2000, Ist Indian Edition.
(b) A. K. Ramanujan : “Small-Scale Reflections on a Great House”; “Obituary”, “Love Poem
for Wife 1.” Available in R. Parthasarathy ed., Ten Twentieth Century
Indian Poets (Delhi: Oxford University Press, 1976).
(c) Imtiaz Dharkar : “Purdah I”, “Grace” and “Prayer”, Available in Imtiaz Dharkar,
Purdah and Other Poems, Delhi: Oxford University Press, 1989.
Unit III: Amitav Ghosh : The Shadow Lines (Delhi: Ravi Dayal, 1988).
Unit IV: Mahesh Dattani : Final Solutions (New Delhi: Penguin, 2005).
Suggested Readings:
1. K. R. S. Iyengar, Indian Writing in English (New Delhi: Sterling, 1985).
2. Bruce, King, Modern Indian Poetry in English (New Delhi: Oxford University Press, 1987).
3. A. K. Mehrotra ed., An Illustrated History of Indian Literature in English (New Delhi: Permanent Black,
2003).
4. Tabish Khair, Babu Fictions (Delhi: Oxford University Press, 2006).
5. Meenakshi Mukherjee, Twice Born Fiction (New Delhi: Heinemann, 1971).
6 Meenakshi Mukherjee, The Perishable Empire: Essays on Indian Writing in English (New Delhi: Oxford
University Press, 2000).
7. M. K. Naik ed., Aspects of Indian Writing in English (Delhi: Macmillan, 1979).
8. S. Tharu and K. Lalitha, Women Writing in India: 600BC to the Present, 2 vols. (New Delhi: Oxford
University Press, 1995).
9. V. Raghavan and Nagendra, An Introduction to Indian Poetics (Bombay: Macmillan, 1970).
10. G. N. Devy, ed., Indian Literary Criticism: Theory and Interpretation. Hyderabad: Orient Longman,
Here is the attachment.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Syllabus of MA English course.pdf (234.1 KB, 2444 views)

Last edited by sumit; 9th February 2020 at 09:41 AM.