2023 2024 Student Forum > Management Forum > Main Forum

8th October 2014, 12:06 PM
Super Moderator

Re: Job in NASA after M.Sc in Astronomy

Ok fine, but it is not enough degree to get job in NASA as the mini eligibility is engineering. Although, NASA has specific reservation for non American candidates, yet remember, getting into NASA is not a child's play as it has been depicted that on an average, just 1% of the filed applications are selected.
That is why, the engineers spend years of training before they can contribute to a space project. But if you want to try for job in NASA then there is no issue.

Eligibility for NASA:

1. To be an astronaut at NASA you need to Specialize in Aeronautical/ Aerospace engineering but people with high expertise and extraordinary skills can only make up their way to NASA.

2. Besides this, candidates have to go through a long selection procedure.
16th November 2015, 03:22 PM
Unregistered

I’m an M.Sc graduated student. I was complete My M.Sc in Astronomy. On basis of My Degree in NASA any job is available for M.Sc student with Astronomy?
16th November 2015, 03:23 PM
Super Moderator

In NASA there is no job available for M.Sc in Astronomy student. But in NASA for post AST Positions job is available.

Job of Aerospace Technologist (AST) positions at NASA. After satisfying the basic degree requirement, an applicant must possess either the education OR experience described below or a combination of each in order to qualify at the grades specified.

Grade Education or Experience
GS-7 B.S. with minimum 2.9 g.p.a. or one year graduate education (Alternative ways to qualify at the GS-7 level) 1 year specialized experience at next lower grade
GS-9 M.S. or 2 years of Graduate education 1 year specialized experience at next lower grade
GS-11 Ph.D. or or 3 years of Graduate education 1 year specialized experience at next lower grade
GS-12 Ph.D. for Research Positions only 1 year specialized experience at next lower grade
GS-13 thru 15 N/A 1 year specialized experience at next lower grade

An Astronomer usually works for the government, defence and space research organizations, electrical and electronic equipment manufacturers.

You can find placement as a Research Scientist with several research institutes and big Government organizations like the Indian Space Research Organization (DRDO).

Candidate can also join organizations like the Association of Bangalore Amateur Astronomers (ABAA) which involves itself in telescope making, organizing observation sessions for the public and popularization of Astronomy.
20th February 2016, 06:21 PM
Unregistered

Hii Buddy , I have Completed M. Sc in Astronomy Programme , Now Will you please tell me Can I Get Job in NASA after this Course ?
20th February 2016, 06:21 PM
Super Moderator

Completion of a standard professional Curriculum in an accredited college or university leading to a Bachelor's Degree with Major Study in an Appropriate Field of Engineering (not Engineering Technology), physical science, life science or mathematics is required.

General Listing of Appropriate Academic Fields of Study for Aerospace Technology Positions:

Astronautical Engineering
Astronautics
Astronomy
Astrophysics

Biomedical Engineering
Ceramic Engineering
Ceramics
Chemical Engineering
Chemistry
Civil Engineering
Computer Engineering
Computer Science*