2023 2024 Student Forum > Management Forum > Main Forum

19th March 2016, 05:21 PM
Unregistered

Jd vs mba

I have completed my graduate degree and planning to pursue higher studies but confused which one to do Master’s in Business Administration (MBA) or the Juris Doctor (JD). Will you please provide me details and difference between these two degrees MBA and JD so I can plan any one?
19th March 2016, 05:22 PM
Super Moderator

Re: Jd vs mba

Master’s in Business Administration (MBA) or the Juris Doctor (JD) are both highly respected degrees only it depends on your interest you want to build career in management line or law field.

MBA vs JD: Admission Requirements

Most business schools will need you to have a bachelor’s degree in either business or a business related field.

Most MBA programs will require you to take a GMAT (Graduate Management Admission Test) and score a 540.

The Law Schools also require you to be a holder of a bachelor’s degree. Here, you it can be a degree in any discipline, the most common being pre-law and political science.

Career:

An MBA throws you into the corporate world. It prepares you for executive and management positions in the business world.

The JD degree qualifies you to practice law. Demand for lawyers is set t increase on an average 10% all the way through to 2022.

Wages:

The BLS estimates that in 2012, the median annual wages for MBA were:

$88,590 for advertising and promotions managers
$119,480 for marketing managers
$105,260 for sales managers and
$95,450 for public relations managers

The BLS estimates that the median annual wages for lawyers were $113,530 in 2012.

The highest-paid lawyers worked in finance and insurance ($134,940 average salary) or the federal government ($134,690 annual salary).

MBA offers you a higher potential top-end salary, but a lower average salary and slightly more risk of unemployment.

JD provides a higher average salary and an exceptionally low jobless rate, but less potential for truly astronomical earnings.

You can also opt for dual JD MBA degree:

Lists of top college which offers this dual degree:

Columbia University
Cornell University
Duke University
Emory University
Georgetown University
University of Texas
Harvard University
New York University
Northwestern University
Stanford University