2023 2024 Student Forum > Management Forum > Main Forum

30th July 2014, 01:00 PM
Super Moderator

Re: Infosys Previous year’s placement paper

This is the Infosys Previous year’s placement paper:

1. Joe's age, Joe's sister's age and Joe’s fathers age sums up to a century. When son is as old as his father, Joe's sister will be twice as old as now. When Joe is as old as his father then his father is twice as old as when his sister was as old as her father

Ans: Joe=20 sister=30 father=50

2. At 6'o clock clock ticks 6 times. The time between first and last ticks was 30sec. How much time it takes at 12'o clock?

Ans. 66 sec. 2 marks.

3. Three friends divided some bullets equally. After all of them shot 4 bullets the total no.of remaining bullets is equal
to that of one has after division. Find the original number divided.
Ans: 18

4. A ship went on a voyage after 180 miles a plane started with 10 times speed that of the ship. Find the distance when they meet from starting point.
Ans: 200

5. A man sold two cows for Rs. 210 at a total profit of 5 %. He sold one cow at a loss of 10% and another at a profit of 10%. What is the price of each cow?
Ans: Rs. 150 and Rs. 50

Directions: 6 -10 In each of the questions given below which one of the five answer figures on the right should come after the problem figures on the left, if the sequence were continued?

Answers 6-10

6) B 7) D 8) E 9) A 10) C

Questions 11- 15 are to be answered on the following data

A causes B or C, but not both
F occurs only if B occurs
D occurs if B or C occurs
E occurs only if C occurs
J occurs only if E or F occurs
D causes G, H or both
H occurs if E occurs
G occurs if F occurs

11. If A occurs which of the following must occurs?

I. F and G

II. E and H

III. D

(a) I only
(b) II only
(c) III only
(d) I,II, & III
(e) I & II (or) II & III but not both
Ans. (e)

12. If B occurs which must occur
(a) D
(b) D and G
(c) G and H
(d) F and G
(e) J
Ans. (a)

13. If J occurs which must have occurred
(a) E
(b) either B or C
(c) both E & F
(d) B
(e) both B & C
Ans. (b)

14. Which may occurs as a result of cause not mentioned
I. D
II. A
III. F

(a) I only
(b) II only
(c) I & II
(d) II & III
(e) I,II & III
Ans. (c)

15. E occurs which one cannot occurs
(a) A
(b) F
(c) D
(d) C

Ans: (b)

Directions16-20: Each problem consists of a problem followed by two statements. Decide whether the data in the statements are sufficient to answer the question. Select your answer according to whether
(A) Statement 1 alone is sufficient, but statement 2 alone is not sufficient to answer the question

(B) Statement 2 alone is sufficient, but statement 1 alone is not sufficient to answer the question

(C) Both statements taken together are sufficient to answer the question, but neither statement alone is sufficient

(D) Each statement alone is sufficient

(E) Statements 1 and 2 together are not sufficient, and additional data is needed to answer the question

16. Is x > 0?

1. -2x < 0
2. x³ > 0
A. A.
B. B.
C. C.
D. D.
E. E.
Ans: D

17. A certain straight corridor has four doors, A, B, C and D (in that order) leading off from the same side. How far apart are doors B and C?

1. The distance between doors B and D is 10 meters.
2. The distance between A and C is 12 meters.
A. A.
B. B.
C. C.
D. D.
E. E.
Ans: E

18. Given that x and y are real numbers, what is the value of x + y?

1. (x² – y²) / (x-y) = 7
2. (x + y)² = 49
A. A.
B. B.
C. C.
D. D.
E. E.
Ans: A

19. Two socks are to be picked at random from a drawer containing only black and white socks. What is the probability that both are white?

1. The probability of the first sock being black is 1/3.
2. There are 24 white socks in the drawer.
A. A.
B. B.
C. C.
D. D.
E. E.
Ans: C

20. A bucket was placed under a dripping tap which was dripping at a uniform rate. At what time was the bucket full?

1. The bucket was put in place at 2pm.
2. The bucket was half full at 6pm and three-quarters full at 8pm.
A. A.
B. B.
C. C.
D. D.
E. E.
Ans: B

Directions (Question 21-25): Read the following information carefully and answer the questions given below it.

Rohit, Kunal, Ashish and John are students of a school. Three of them stay far from the school and one near it. Two study in class IV, one in class V and one in class VI. They study Hindi , mathematics, Social Science. One is good at all the four subjects while another weak in all of these. Rohit stays far from the school and good at Mathematics only while Kunal is weak in Mathematics only and stays close to the school. Neither of these two nor Ashish studies in class VI. One who is good at all the subjects’ studies in class V.

21. Name of the boy who is good at all the subjects.

A) Rohit B) Kunal C) Ashish D) John

22. Name the boy who is weak in all the subjects

23. Which two boys are good at Hindi?

A) Rohit and Kunal B) Kunal and Ashish C) Ashish and John D) John and Rohit

24. Which two boys are good at Mathematics?

A) Rohit and Ashish B) Kunal and Ashish C) John and Ashish D) Rohit and John

25. Other than Rohit and the boy good at all the subjects, who else stays far from the school?

Directions 26-30: The table above shows imports for three types of steel over a six month period. Use this information to answer the following questions

26. Which month showed the largest decrease in total imports over the previous month?

A. Feb B. Mar C. Apr D. May E. Jun

Ans. B

27. What was the total value of sheet steel (in $) imported over the 6 month period?

A. 56,750 B. 75,300 C. 55,550 D. 42,370 E. 44,750

Ans. C

28. What was the percentage of scrap steel imported in the 6 month period?

A.37.5 B.35.2 C.36.1 D.31.2 E.38.3

Ans. D

29. What was the difference (in thousands of tons) between coil steel and sheet steel imports in the first 3 months of the year?

A. 10 B.16 C.18 D.19 E. 20

Ans. E

30. What was the approximate ratio of sheet steel and coil steel imports in the first 3 months of the year?

A. 11:9 B.8:9 C. 7:11 D. 3:8 E. 7:4

Ans. A

Verbal Ability Test (40 Questions in 35 minutes)

Directions for Questions 1-5: Read the passage and answer the questions that follow on the basis of the information provided in the passage

A snow leopard roars in the high mountains of Asia. A black rhinoceros gallops across the plains of Africa. A grizzly bear hunts for fish in a North American river. A mother blue whale and her calf glide through the deep waters of the ocean.

All of these animals share the Earth with us. They fascinate us with their beauty, their grace, and their speed. We love observing their behavior, and learning more about their habits. But just loving them is not enough. All of these animals are endangered. Many of them have died, and without special care, they may someday disappear from the Earth.

Why is it important to care for animals like these? One reason is to protect the balance of life on Earth. Another reason is the beauty of the animals themselves. Each species of animal is special. Once it is gone, it is gone forever.

Africa was once filled with an abundance of wild animals. But that is changing fast. One of these animals, the black rhinoceros, lives on the plains of Africa. It has very poor eyesight and a very bad temper! Even though the black rhino is powerful, and can be dangerous, its strength can’t always help it to escape hunters. Some people think that the rhino’s horn has magical powers, and many hunters kill rhinos for their valuable horns. This has caused the black rhino to be placed on the endangered species list.

The elephant seems to represent all that is strong and wild in Africa. It once had no natural enemies, but is now endangered—killed for its ivory tusks.

The fastest land animal, the cheetah, also lives in Africa. It, too, is becoming extinct as people take over more and more of the land that is the cheetah's natural habitat.

Imagine Africa without the powerful rhino, the gentle, intelligent elephant, or the lightning quick cheetah. Once they are gone, they are gone forever.

Wherever people are careless about the land, there are endangered species.

Grizzly bears like to wander great distances. Each bears needs up to 1,500 square miles of territory to call its homeland. Today, because forests have been cleared to make room for people, the grizzly’s habitat is shrinking and the grizzly is disappearing. It joins other endangered North American animals, such as the red wolf and the American crocodile.

In South America, destruction of the rain forest threatens many animals. Unusual mammals, such as the howler monkey and the three-toed sloth, are endangered. Beautiful birds like the great green macaw and the golden parakeet are also becoming extinct. They’re losing their homes in the rain forest, and thousands die when they are caught and shipped off to be sold as exotic pets.

The giant panda of Asia is a fascinating and unique animal. Yet there are only about 1,000 still living in the wild. The giant panda’s diet consists mainly of the bamboo plant, so when the bamboo forests die, so does the panda. China is now making an effort to protect these special creatures from becoming extinct.

Asia’s big cats are also in trouble. The exotic snow leopard lives high in the mountains. Even there, it faces the loss of its natural habitat, and hunters who kill it for its fur. The tiger, the largest of all the big cats, is hunted merely for sport.

Ocean-dwelling animals are in danger of extinction as well. The blue whale is the largest animal in the world. It weighs up to 390,000 pounds. Whale hunting and pollution are this species’ greatest enemies.

Unfortunately, it is people who cause many of the problems that animals face. We alter and pollute their habitats. We hunt them for skins, tusks, furs, and horns. We destroy animals that get in the way of farming or building. And we remove them from their natural habitats and take them home as pets.

What can you do to help endangered animals? Learn as much as you can about them. The more you know, the more you can help. Make an effort to support zoos and wildlife groups. Many zoos breed endangered animals, helping to ensure that they will continue to live on. Contribute to groups, such as the National Wildlife Federation and the Sierra Club, that work hard to protect animals. You can also be a smart shopper and never buy a pet that has been raised in the wilderness.

The world is made up of many living things, and each thing is dependent on the others to survive. If we allow even one species on Earth to become extinct, it has an impact on other living things and changes our world. When we mention any endangered wild animals, let’s hope that we never again have to say, "Gone forever."

1. Which of the following is NOT an opinion?

A. It is important for us to take care of endangered animals.
B. The black rhinoceros is the most frightening animal in Africa.
C. The fastest land animal, the cheetah, also lives in Africa.
D. If we don’t protect endangered animals now, we will regret it in the future.

2. Read this sentence from the article. Today, because forests have been cleared to make room for people, the grizzly’s habitat is shrinking and the grizzly is disappearing.

What does habitat mean?

A. an animal’s natural environment
B. a bear’s thick wool coat
C. a bear’s den
D. an animal’s vision

3. Which of the following does NOT support the main idea of the article?

A. Ocean-dwelling animals are in danger of extinction as well.
B. Beautiful birds like the great green macaw are also becoming extinct.
C. Wherever people are careless about the land, there are endangered species.
D. The elephant seems to represent all that is strong and wild in Africa.

4. Read this sentence from the article. They fascinate us with their beauty, their grace, and their speed.

What is an antonym for the word fascinate?

A. thrill
B. bore
C. scare
D. humor

5. What will happen to some animal species if current trends continue?

A. Their numbers will increase.
B. There will be no significant change.
C. They will become extinct.
D. They will move to other habitats

Directions for Questions 6-10: Read the passage and answer the questions that follow on the basis of the information provided in the passage

The last half of my life has been lived in one of those painful epochs of human history during which the world is getting worse, and past victories which had seemed to be definitive have turned out to be only temporary. When I was young, Victorian optimism was taken for granted. It was thought that freedom and prosperity would speed gradually throughout the world by an orderly process, and it was hoped that cruelty, tyranny, and injustice would continually diminish. Hardly anyone was haunted by the fear of great wars. Hardly anyone thought of thenineteenth century as a brief interlude between past and future barbarism.

6. The author feels and about the later part of his life because

A) The world had not become prosperous

B) He was nostalgic about his childhood.

C) The world was painfully disturbed during that period of time.

D) The author had not won any further victories.

7. The victories of the past

A) Filled men with a sense of pessimism

B) Proved to be temporary events

C) ended, cruelty, tyranny, and injustice

D) Brought permanent peace and security

8. The world 'definitive' as used in the passage means

A) Incomplete B) defined C) temporary D) final

9. During the Victorian age people believed that

A) There would be unlimited freedom

B) Strife would increase

C) Peace would prevail and happiness would engulf the whole world.

D) Wars would be fought on a bigger scale

10. A brief interlude between past and future barbarism' can be interpreted as

A) A dramatic performance during wars

B) An interval between cruel wars

C) A short space of time between two great events

D) A short period of time between past and future acts of savagery.

Directions 11-18: Pick out the most effective word from the given words to fill in the blank to make the sentence meaningfully complete.

11. The petition before the Court prayed for .....................the appointment orders issued by the management

A) Removing B) granting C) posting D) quashing E) dismissing

12. I have a profound respect for his political..................

A) Personality B) ambition C) temperament D) sagacity E) involvement

13. The truck was.............. The traffic and the policemen asked the driver to move off.

A) Failing B) obstructing C) obviating D) hiding E) disturbing

14. The paternalistic attitude is so ingrained in the managements that they have to.....................try to change it

A) Casually B) slowly C) subtly D) inadvertently E) conscientiously

15. For a few seconds, Madan was.............blinded by the powerful lights of the oncoming car

A) Heavily B) largely C) greatly D) powerfully E) totally

Ans: E

16. Sachin was to reach that afternoon but was ...... up at Delhi for some personal work.

A. delayed B. kept C. held D.stayed E. detained

17. He..... his shoes till they shone.

A. brushed B. scrubbed C. wiped D. polished. E. shined.

18. Let us take him upon his word. I see no room for any ....... in the matter

A) Deviation B) duplicity C) difference D) cynicism

Direction Questions 19 - 26: In each question below is given a passage followed by several inferences. You have to examine each inference separately in the context of the passage and decide upon its degree of truth or falsity.

Mark your answer as:

A. if the inference is ' definitely true' i.e. , it directly follows from the facts given in the passage

B. if the inference is ' probably true' though not definitely true in the light of the facts given

C. if you think the data are in adequate i.e., from the facts given you cannot say whether the inference is likely to be true or false

D. if you think the inference is ' probably false' though not definitely false in the light of the facts given; and

E. if you think inference is ' definitely false' i,e , it contradicts the given facts.

Passage I

More than a decade of erosion in budgetary support from the Union Government, has seriously affected Indian Railway's capacity to finance its plan expenditures. The situation has come to a pass where the railways must now think of innovative ways to get longer mileage from its investments. Significantly the resource crunch has had grievous impact on the railways. As a result, it will not be in a position to acquire necessary equipments and this will seriously affect the railway's capacity to serve the needs of the economy in future.

19. Railways had so far belived in traditional ways in generating income.

20. Government has shifted its priority from railways to other areas.

21. The union government has reduced drastically the budgetary support to railways during the last decade.

22. The fiscal position of railways in the earlier plan period was better than the current plan period

23. During the current plan period, the railways will not be able to expand its network

Passage II

The smaller pesticide formulation units in India operate under heavy constraints such as obsolete technology, small scale of operation and dependence on large units for raw materials. In view of the loss of expensive material by the smaller units it is important to either eliminate or reduce losses to the extent possible through innovative and sustainable waste minimization techniques. Operating profit margins of the units are very low and small adverse conditions land these companies in trouble. Maximum losses suffered by these units are through poor house keeping, Sub- optional operating practices, and lack of proper opportunities for recycling waste.

24. Smaller units should be operationally self sufficient so as to minimize loss.

25. Waste management process in India need modernization

26. Lack of funds compels smaller units to ignore house keeping.

Direction 27-32: In each of the following questions, find out which part of the sentence has an error. If there is no mistake the answer is 'no error'

27. Our is the only / country in the world / than can boast of / unity in diversity / no error

A B C D E

28. May I know/who you want / to see please / No error

A B C D

29. Due to me being a newcomer / I was unable to get a house / suitable for my wife and me / No error

30. This is the boy / whom I think had won / the gold medal in the dance competition / No error

A B C D

31. The number of vehicles /plying on this road /is more than on the main road / No error

A B C D

32. There has not been any rainfall / in this part of the country / since the last two years / No error

A B C D

Directions 33-40: In each question, a part of sentence is printed in italics. Below each sentence, some phrases are given which can substitute the italicized part of the sentence. If the sentence is correct as it is, the answer is 'No correction required'

33. No sooner I saw the tiger than I ran away

A. No sooner I had seen B. No sooner did I see C. as soon as I saw D. No Correction required

34. Let he and I work together

A. him and I B. him and me C. he and me D. No Correction required

35. The child is father of the man

A. A child, man B. Child, a man C. Child, Man D. No Correction required

36. I am used to hard work

A. hard working B. work hard C. work hardly D. No Correction required

37. The doctor examined my pulse

A. observed B. saw C. felt D. No Correction required

38. I wish I have all those luxuries

A. I will have B. I am having C. I had D. No Correction required

39. She did not like the movie, nor I did

A. nor did I B. nor I like it C. nor I liked it D. No Correction required

40. The enthusiastic voters were queuing up outside the polling station since morning.

A. queued up B. Had queued up C. had been queuing up D. No Correction required

Tags
placement

Quick Reply
Your Username: Click here to log in