2023 2024 Student Forum > Management Forum > Main Forum

2nd March 2016, 02:03 PM
Unregistered

Ims db/dc

What will be the interview question for Information Management System(IMS) DB/DC viva exam ?
2nd March 2016, 02:04 PM
Super Moderator

Re: Ims db/dc

As you want I am here giving you interview question for Information Management System(IMS) DB/DC viva exam.

Interview questions:
Q1) What is the physical nature of a database called?

A1) DBD

Q2) Is it necessary that all the segments in a Dl/i database have key fields ?

A2) It is not necessary that all the segments in the database should have key field, expect for the database.

Q3) How man key fields and search fields can a segment have?

A3) One key field and as many search fields in the segment can be declared.

Q4) Is it necessary that the key field in a Dl/I database be unique?

A4) No, it is no necessary.

Q5) What is a key field in an IMS database?

A5) A Field that DL/I uses to maintain the segments in the ascending order is called the key field

Q6) What is a database record?

A6) A single occurrence of the root along with all its dependents is called the database record.

Q7) What is a Hierarchy path?

A7) A line that starts at the root and passes thru the inter mediate levels in the hierarchy and ends at the a segment at the bottom of the hierarchy is called the Hierarchy path.

Q8) What is a Root?

A8) The segment at the top of the Hierarchy, which is not a child to a segment is called the Root.

Q9) What are Twins?

A9) Occurrences of all the segment types under a single parent segment occurrence is called a Twin.

Q10) Define the terms Parent & Child.

A10) Parent-Any segment that has one or more segments directly below it is a Parent. Child-Any segment that has segment directly above it is called the Child.

Q11) What is the limitation on the no. of levels in a DL/I database?

A11) You can have 15 levels in a DL/I database

Q12) How many sgment types can u have in a DL/I database?

A12) A Dl/I database can have 255 segment types

Q13) What is a Segment type?

A13) Loosely speaking a segment type is a segment in a Dl/I hierarchy chart.

Q14) What is a segment?

A14) A segment is the smallest unit of information that Dl/I uses when working with information in the database

Q15) What is Hierarchy Chart?

A15) A Hierarchy chart is a pictorial representation of the total of a DL/I database starting from the root, giving all the parent child relationships that exist within the database

Q16) what are the control blocks in IMS ?

A16) There are two control block.1.dbd(database descriptor)2.psb (program specification block)

Q17) which is the first statement in COBOL-IMS programs?

A17) Entry statement is the first statement after procedure division i.e. ENTRY 'DLICBL' USING .....

Q18) What is the return code you get after a successful IMS call?

A18) Spaces.

Q19) Define DBD?

A19) DBD : Database Descriptor. IMS Controls the Structure of DB and access to the DB via DBD. The DBD contains information like, Segment types, their location in hierarchy and Sequence keys.

Q20) How can we distinguish between an online and batch program in IMS environment?

A20) By seeing the IO-PCB in the application program.

Q21) Which is the DL/I function used in CICS-IMS program?

A21) PCB(PROGRAM COMMUNICATION BLOCK)

Q22) What is IMS?

A22) INFORMATION MANAGEMENT SYSTEM

Q23) How does one reorg an HDAM IMS database when changing RAPS (Root Anchor Points)?

A23) Unload data using current DBD. 2. Delete/define the underlying VSAM dataset(s). 3. Re-load data using newly-defined DBD with new RAPs. 4. Re-build any secondary indexes.

Q24) What do you know about DBD gen?

A24) used to generate DBDs. The statements in DBDGEN process are PRINT NOGEN, DBD, DATASET, SEGM, FIELD, DBDGEN, FINISH, END

Q25) What are common DLI functions?

A25) GU,GN,GNP,GHU,GHN,REPL,ISRT,DLET...

Quick Reply
Your Username: Click here to log in