2023 2024 Student Forum > Management Forum > Main Forum

7th November 2015, 04:13 PM
Super Moderator

Re: IIT Kanpur CPI

The details of Cumulative Performance Index (CPI) policy in IIT or Indian Institutes of Technology in Kanpur is as follows:

A student is awarded a letter grade in each course one is registered for, including one’s overall performance in that course.

There are nine letter grades: A, B, C, D, E, F, S, X and I.

The correspondence between grades and points (on a 10-point scale) / rating is given below:-

A: 10, B: 8, C: 6, D: 4, E: 2, F: 0, S: Satisfactory, X: Unsatisfactory, I: Incomplete

If one does not complete all the requirements for a course for a genuine reason, the instructor may award grade I (Incomplete).

An I grade must be converted by the instructor to a regular letter grade by the last date for such conversion specified in the Academic Calendar, failing which it is automatically converted to an F grade.

One gets an E or F grade in a course must either repeat it or substitute it by another course as suggested by DPGC.

One gets a D grade in a course may be allowed to repeat it or substitute it by another course, provided:

One’s CPI is less than the prescribed minimum and one is allowed to continue in the programme as per provision in the Academic Performance Requirement, and one has completed all the courses as prescribed by the department

In case a course is repeated or substituted, the old grade also appears on the transcript although it will not be taken into account while computing the CPI/SPI.

Seminars are graded as satisfactory (S) or unsatisfactory (X) and carry 0 units for credit.

The grade S or X is awarded for D.IIT, M.Tech., Ph.D. project/thesis units as follows:

At the end of the semester, the project/thesis supervisor(s) assess one’s progress towards the project/thesis work during the semester and award the grade S for each set of 4 units if the work is satisfactory and a X for every unsatisfactory 4 units.

Thus a student registered for 16 units can get one of the following 5 combinations
SSSS, SSSX, SXXX, XXXX.

If one is on leave for a part of the semester or submits one’s thesis in the middle of a semester, the SPGC may reduce his/her thesis/project units appropriately.

Computation of the Semester Performance Index (SPI) and Cumulative Performance Index (CPI):-

The SPI is an indicator of the overall academic performance of one in all the courses he/she has registered during a given semester.

It is computed as follows:

If the grades awarded to student are G1, G2, etc in courses with corresponding units U1, U2, etc, the SPI is given by :-
SPI= ( U1G1 + U2G2 + ...... ) / ( U1 +U2 + ....)

In the above computation, courses with S and X grades are ignored.

Likewise, the CPI indicates the cumulative academic performance in all the courses taken including those taken in the current semester.

Quick Reply
Your Username: Click here to log in