2023 2024 Student Forum > Management Forum > Main Forum

5th October 2014, 03:44 PM
Super Moderator

Re: IIST Entrance Exam Question Papers

Here I am mentioning a few questions of the IIST entrance exam which I have extracted from a PDF file that you can download for free:

1. A projectile is fired at an angle 60◦ with some velocity u. If the angle is changed infinitesimally, let the corresponding fractional changes in the range and the time of flight be x and y, respectively, Then y is
(A) 2
3x
(B) −2
3x
(C) 2x
(D) −2x

2. A ball is dropped down vertically from a tall building. After falling a height h it bounces elastically from a table inclined at an angle θ and hits a wall at a distance d from the point of earlier impact horizontally, then
(A) θ = (1/2) sin−1(2d/h)
(B) θ = (1/2) tan−1(d/h)
(C) θ = (1/4) sin−1(d/h)
(D) θ = (1/2) tan−1(2d/h)

3. A photon with an initial frequency 1011Hz scatters off an electron at rest. Its final frequency is 0.9×1011 Hz. The speed of the scattered electron is close to (h = 6.63×10−34 Js, me = 9.1×10−31 kg)
(A) 4 × 103 ms−1
(B) 3 × 102 ms−1
(C) 2 × 106 ms−1
(D) 30ms−1

4. Suppose the particle starts from r = 1 with a kinetic energy just enough to reach r = R. Its kinetic energy at r = R/2 will be
(A) k/R
(B) (5/8)(k/R)
(C) (3/8)(k/R)
(D) 0

5. Let a particle have an instantaneous position ~r(t), velocity ~v(t) and acceleration ~a(t). Necessary conditions
for it to be considered as an instantaneous circular motion about the origin are
(A) ~r.~v = 0 ; ~a.~v = 0 ; ~a.~r < 0
(B) ~r.~v = 0 ; ~a.~v = 0 ; ~a.~r > 0
(C) ~r.~v > 0 ; ~a.~v = 0 ; ~a.~r = 0
(D) ~r.~v = 0 ; ~a.~v > 0 ; ~a.~r < 0

6. A current I is flowing in a wire of length l. The total momentum carried by the charge carrier of mass m and charge q is
(A) m
q I l
(B) 2m
q I l
(C) q
m I l
(D) 2q
m I l

7. In an oil drop experiment, charged oil drops of mass m and charge q are released at a height h, one at a time, at intervals t > p2h/g. The drops are collected in a large metal sphere of radius R with a small opening at the top. The total number of drops that are able to enter the sphere will be
(A) mg 4 π ǫ0 (h−R)
q2
(B) mg 4 π ǫ0 (h−R)2
q2
(C) mg 4 π ǫ0 (h−R)
q
(D) mg 4 π ǫ0
(h−R)q

8. Two lenses, one biconvex of focal length f1 and another biconcave of focal length f2 are placed along the same axis. They are separated by a certain distance such that a parallel beam of light incident on the convex lens also emerges parallel from the concave lens subsequently. The magnification of the combination is given by
(A) M = f1
2/f2
(B) M = f2/f1
(C) M = f1/f2
(D) M = (f1f2)/(f1
2 + f2
2)

Attached Files
File Type: pdf IIST Entrance Exam Question Papers.pdf (150.4 KB, 66 views)

Quick Reply
Your Username: Click here to log in