2023 2024 Student Forum > Management Forum > Main Forum

5th May 2015, 09:08 AM
Unregistered

IGMP snooping RFC

Hey friend I am searching about the Considerations for Internet Group Management Protocol (IGMP) and Multicast Listener Discovery (MLD) Snooping Switches (RFC 4541) so will you please tell me from where I can get the information about the Considerations for Internet Group Management Protocol (IGMP) and Multicast Listener Discovery (MLD) Snooping Switches (RFC 4541)?
Similar Threads
Thread
IGMP Snooping Querier
21st April 2018, 08:04 AM
Unregistered

Re: IGMP snooping RFC

I am doing engineering degree in electronics branches from Anna University searching for some details about IGMP Snooping RFC. Will you tell what the purpose of IGMP Snooping RFC and key concepts also provide details of IGMP Snooping RFC in PDF so it helps in making report?
21st April 2018, 08:09 AM
Super Moderator

Re: IGMP snooping RFC

IGMP snooping is the process of listening to Internet Group Management Protocol (IGMP) network traffic.

The feature allows a network switch to listen in on the IGMP conversation between hosts and routers.

Purpose

A switch will, by default, flood multicast traffic to all the ports in a broadcast domain (or the VLAN equivalent).

Multicast can cause unnecessary load on host devices by requiring them to process packets they have not solicited.

When purposefully exploited, this can form the basis of a denial-of-service attack. IGMP snooping is designed to prevent hosts on a local network from receiving traffic for a multicast group they have not explicitly joined.

It provides switches with a mechanism to prune multicast traffic from links that do not contain a multicast listener (an IGMP client).

Essentially, IGMP snooping is a layer 2 optimization for the layer 3 IGMP. IGMP snooping takes place internally on switches and is not a protocol feature.

IGMP Snooping RFC

Key IGMP concepts:

IGMP control messages are allowed to traverse all ports regardless if they are blocked by the ring protection protocol to enable population of the bridging tables for all connected E-Series platforms.
Multicast traffic will not be allowed to traverse ports blocked by the ring protection protocol.
The E-Series monitors all interfaces associated with the IGMP multicast VLAN for the presence of OSPF messages to automatically detect the multicast router.
The E-Series will drop joins and leaves received on router (uplink) side ports. Ports connected to a router are assumed to be facing towards the network and should not receive joins and leaves.
IGMP will be enabled for all ports designated as ring ports.

Please find the below attached file for the details of IGMP Snooping RFC:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf IGMP Snooping RFC.pdf (339.1 KB, 45 views)

Quick Reply
Your Username: Click here to log in