2023 2024 Student Forum > Management Forum > Main Forum

19th March 2016, 08:20 AM
Super Moderator

Re: IBPS English Errors

Some Practice Questions for "English language Spotting Error" for preparation of IBPS or Institute of Banking Personnel Selection exams are as follows:

1.Though the first portion/ of the book was dull,but / the later part was/ quite interesting.
Ans:Subtitute ‘but’ by ‘yet’ or delete ‘but’. ’ Though is always followed by ‘yet’ or simply comma.

2.Everyone agrees/ that Rahul is wiser than/all the members/ of the family.
Ans:Put ‘other’ after ‘all’.Refer Rule2.

3.Watch /how careful /the sparrow knits /the straws into one another to form a nest.
Ans:Change ‘careful’ to ‘carefully’ to make it an adverb.

4.Like the commission has recommended/ in its / report the rules need to be enforced more strictly.
Ans:Replace ‘like’ by ‘as’.

5.Although he/ only earns eight hundred rupees a month,/ he manages to support /his family adequately.
Ans:Change the position of ‘only’. Put it before ‘eight hundred rupees’. As a general rule ‘only’ or ‘even’ should be placed immediately before the word it is intended to qualify.

6.After toiling very hard/ over a long period/ he found/ he had hardly made no profit at all.
Ans:Change ‘no’ to ‘any’ .’Hardly’ is a negative word and hence should not be followed a negative word.

7. It seems evidently/ to me that the visits they /made to the island /were not very frequent.
Ans: Change ‘evidently’ to ‘evident’ to make it adjective.
8.I had/ gone/ to Calcutta/ to deliver few good.
Ans: Add ‘a’ before few to make it positive.

9.He got to the top/ and was very disappointed / when he found that someone else/had reached it earlier.
Ans:Replace ‘very’ by ‘much’. Past participle is normally preceded by ‘much’ as present participle is normally preceded by ‘very’.

10. The students should / do their lessons regular/ from beginning /of the term.
Ans: Change ‘regular’ to regularly to make it adverb of manner.

11.It is always easy / to talk about a /thing than to do /it ourselves.
Ans: Change ‘easy’ to ‘easier’ to make it a comparative degree.

12.I often gave/ him money and/ I gave /him few yesterday.
Ans: Replace ‘few’ by ‘some’. ’Few’ denotes number and ‘some’ denotes a quantity or an amount.

13. My all hopes /were dashed to the ground/ when I came to know /that my son had fallen in bad company.
Ans:Put ‘all’ before ‘my’. ‘ my all’ is a faulty expression. Rectify it as ‘all my’.

14. We seldom /or ever see / those happy/ who are selfish.
Ans:Replace ‘ever’ by ‘never’. ‘Seldom’ is a negative word and it must be paired with a negative word.

15.Two first /chapters of this/ book are /very interesting.
Ans: Replace ‘two first’ by ‘first two’.

Other English Questions: Spotting Errors

The current economic scenario (1) / could possibly undo (2) / the growth that followed (3) / the economic liberalisation of 1991. (4) / No error (5)

The government needsto provide (1) / specific regulations that create an environment (2) / where
trained scientific personnel enjoyed space and freedom (3) / to design new products benefiting society (4) / No error (5)

Many of the young people (1) / studying abroad agreed that (2) / returning home was always (3) /
an attractive option (4) / No error (5)

This questions force us (1) / to face the unpleasant truth that (2) / the policies of social justice
have (3) / reached a dead end. (4) / No error (5)

India’s largest corporate house may be (1) / force to review the selection parameters after (2)
/ struggling to shortlist potential candidates (3) / for the past eight months (4) / No error (5)

The actor, who plays(1)/a detective in the film, alleged to have pushed the director (2)/ when he
asked him to get into his costume (3)/as it was getting late (4) / No error (5)

The judge advised the government to (1) / have metered autorickshaws across the state while (2) /recounting his personal experience where an auto- rickshaw driver (3)/ made him to wait and also demanded Rs. 100. (4) / No error (5)

My friend lived at the top (1)/ of an old house (2) / which attic had been (3)/ converted into’a flat. (4)/ No error (5)

A cash prize was (1)/ award to the most (2) / successful salesman of the year (3)/ by the President of the company. (4)/ No error (5)

The Renaissance was (1)/ a time to ‘re-awakening’ (2)/ in both the arts (3)/ and the sciences. (4)/ No error (5)

Quick Reply
Your Username: Click here to log in