2023 2024 Student Forum > Management Forum > Main Forum

31st January 2020, 08:20 PM
Unregistered

Re: Gurukul Kangri University M.Sc Microbiology

Can you provide me the syllabus for M.Sc. (Microbiology) Program offered by the Department of Botany & Microbiology, Gurukul Kangri University?
31st January 2020, 08:21 PM
Super Moderator

Re: Gurukul Kangri University M.Sc Microbiology

The syllabus for M.Sc. (Microbiology) Program offered by the Department of Botany & Microbiology, Gurukul Kangri University is as follows:

M.Sc. I Year

Semester – I

MMB -C101

FUNDAMENTALS OF MICROBIOLOGY

UNIT – I
Emergence of Microbiology as a Discipline:- Beginning of Microbiology, Golden age of Microbiology, contributions of, Leeuwenhoek, Winogradsky, Fleming, Waksman, Landsteiner, Nicholas Appert, Joseph Lister, Louis Pasteur, Robert Koch, E. Jenner, Ivanovski, Beijerinck, Application of Microbiology, control of microorganims - physical and chemical, study of microbial structure: light, dark field, phase-contrast, flourescence, and electron microscope, staining techniques - simple, differential, flagella, endospore, capsule.

UNIT – II
Classification of Microorganisms: Haeckel’s three kingdoms, Whittaker’s five kingdoms, three domains of Carl Woese, ribosomal RNA in microbial taxonomy, concept of microbial species; classification and salient features of bacteria on the basis of Bergey’s Manual of Determinative Bacteriology.

UNIT – III
Prokaryotic cell structure and function: Morphological types –size, shape and arrangements; cytoplasmic matrix, prokaryotic cytoskeleton, plasma membrane, gas vacuole, ribosomes, inclusion bodies, nucleoid, perplasmic space, cell envelope, Gram positive and Gram negative cell wall, capsules and slime layers, fimbriae and pili, flagella, endospore, Archaeal cell wall.

UNIT – IV
Eukaryotic cell structure and function: Plasma membrane, cytoplasmic matrix, microfilaments, intermediate filaments and microtubules, endoplasmic reticulum, ribisomes, Golgi apparatus, lysosomes, mitochondria, chloroplasts, nucleus, nucleolus, cell wall and pellicle, cilia and flagella, vacuole.

UNIT – V
Non proteobacteria: General characteristics with examples, low G+C (Firmicutes), high G+C (actinobacteria), cell structure, characteristics features with examples, economic importance in agriculture and industry, cyanobacteria- occurrence, heterocyst, economic importance of cyanobacteria.

Syllabus M.Sc. (Microbiology) Program Gurukul Kangri University

Tags
microbiology

Quick Reply
Your Username: Click here to log in