2023 2024 Student Forum > Management Forum > Main Forum

11th April 2016, 08:00 AM
Super Moderator

Re: Guru Nanak Dev University Geology Department

Guru Nanak Dev University Geology Department offered M.A. (Geography), to acquaint the students with the philosophy, methodology and historical development of geography as a professional field.

As you want here I am providing Guru Nanak Dev University Geology Department M.A. (Geography), program syllalbus

SEMESTER-I:
Paper-I : Geographic Thought
Paper-II : Geomorphology
Paper-III : Cartography (Theory and Practical)
Paper-IV : Any one of the following optional courses:
Option (i) : Fundamentals of Population Geography
Option (ii) : Political Geography
Option (iii) : Medical Geography

SEMESTER-II:
Paper-I : Climatology
Paper-II : Geography of India (Systematic and Regional)
Paper-III : Fundamentals of Remote Sensing (Theory and Practical)
Paper-IV : Any one of the following optional courses:
Option (i) : Urban Geography
Option (ii) : Fundamentals of Natural Hazards and Disaster Management
Option (iii) : Geography of Settlement with Special Reference to India

SEMESTER III
Paper Title
Paper–I Town and Country Planning
Paper–II Research Methodology in Geography
Paper–III Fundamentals of GIS and GPS (Theory and
Practical)

Paper–IV Any one of the following optional courses :
Option (i): Regional Development and Planning in India
Option (ii): Social Geography
Option (iii): Geography & Eco Systems
Paper Title
Paper–I Regional Planning
Paper–II Field Based Project Report (Practical only)
Paper–III Quantitative Methods in Geography (Theory
Paper–IV Any one of the following optional courses :
Option (i): Geography of Manufacturing Industry
Option (ii): Geography of Migration
Option (iii): Fundamentals of Agricultural Geography

Guru Nanak Dev University Geology Department M.A. (Geography) syllabus
Course Contents:
UNIT-I
Historical Developments upto 19th Century Contributions of the Greeks and Romans with
special reference to Herodotus, Eratosthenes, Strabo and Ptolemy.
Geography in the Muslim World.
Geography in the Modern Period: Contributions of Varenius, Kant, Humboldt and Ritter.
UNIT-II
Philosophical Foundations
Geography as a science of : (i) distributions; (ii) relationships; (iii) areal differentiation; and
(iv) spatial organisation.
Dualism between
(i)systematic and regional geography;
(ii) physical and human geography.
UNIT-III
Methodological Issues
Modes of explanation (a) major concerns of scientific thinking; (b) the routes to scientific
explanations.
Conceptual methodological developments.
UNIT-IV
Contemporary Developments
Geography in the Twentieth Century: The changing paradigms, Determinism and possibilism.
(ix) Quantitative Revolution, Positivism, behaviouralism, radicalism and humanism.
Books Recommended:
1. Dikshit, R. D. (ed.), Geographical Thought: A Contextual History of Ideas, Prentice Hall
of India, New Delhi, 1999.
2. Dikshit, R. D. (ed.), The Art & Science of Geography, Integrated Readings, Prentice Hall
of India, New Delhi, 1994.
3. Hartshorne, R., Nature of Geography, Association of American Geographers, Fourth
Print, 1969.
4. Hartshorne, R., Perspectives on Nature of Geography, Rand, McNally & Co., 1959.
5. Harvey, D., Explanation in Geography, Edward Arnold, London, 1973.
6. Husain, M., Evolution of Geographic Thought, Rawat Pub., Jaipur, 1988.
7. Johnston, R. J., The Future of Geography, Methuen, London, 1988.
8. Peet, Richard, Modern Geographical Thought, Blackwell, Massachusettes, First Indian
Reprint, 2004.
9. Preston E. James, All Possible Worlds, The Odssey Press, Indianapolis.
10. Tozer, F.A., History of Ancient Geography Cambridge : Cambridge University Press,
Further Readings :
1. Abler, Ronald F. Marcus, Melvin, G. Olson, Judy, M., Geography's Inner Worlds
Pervasive Themes in Contemporary American Geography, Rutgers University Press,
New Jersey, 1992.
2. Abler, Ronald; Adams, John S. Gould, Peter, Spatial Organization : The Geographer's
View of the World, Prentice Hall, N. J., 1971.
3. Ali, S. M., The Geography of Puranas, Peoples Publishing House, Delhi, 1966.
4. Amedeo, Douglas, An Introduction to Scientific Reasoning in Geography, John Wiley,
U.S.A., 1971.
5. Board, Christopher, R.J., Haggett, P., Stoddart, D.R. (ed.), Progress in Geography:
International Review of Current Research, Vol. I to VIII, Edward Arnold, London.
6. Jensen, A.H., Geography : Its History and Concepts, Sage Publications, Thousand Oaks,
London, 1999, Thousand Oaks, New Delhi.
7. Johnston, R. J. & Claval, P., Geography Since the Second World War: An International
Survey, Crown Halm, Sydney, 1984.
8. Johnston, R. J. and Sidaway, J.D., Geography and Geographers: Anglo-American Human
Geography Since 1945, Arnold, London, 2004.
9. Johnston, R. J., Philosophy and Human Geography, Edward Arnold, London,1983.
10. Minshull, R., The Changing Nature of Geography. Hutchinson, University Library,
London, 1970.
11. Pedagogy : The students are to be encouraged to interact with students from other streams
of knowledge i.e. physical, social sciences and humanities for a proper grounding into
geography. All issues relating to philosophy, methodology and history of the discipline
are to be explained by asking the students to prepare write ups on specific problems.
Emphasis will be both on theoretical and practical aspects.
Paper-II: GEOMORPHOLOGY
Section-A: The examiner shall set 10 questions and the candidates will attempt 7 questions
carrying 4 marks each. Answer to each question shall not exceed half of the page.
The total weightage of this section shall be 28 marks.
Section-B: The examiner shall set 8 questions for the entire syllabus, 2 from each unit. The
candidates shall attempt any 4 questions one from each unit. Each question shall
carry 18 marks. The total weightage of this section shall be 72 marks.
Objectives:
This course represents the interface between physical aspects of Geography and Geology,
Oceanography, Glaciology etc. The course aims to sensitise the student to this interface.
The course aims to familiarize the student with the conceptual framework for understanding the
existing geomorphological landscapes and related processes.
The course is designed to provide the student with a theoretical and empirical framework for
understanding landscape evolution and the characteristics of individual types of geomorphic
landscapes.
Course Contents :
UNIT-I
Nature, Scope, Approaches and recent developments.
Important concepts in geomorphology.
Relationship between process and landform.
UNIT–II
Earth Movements: Epeirogenic, orogenic, cymatogenic.
Morphogenetic regions.
Mass movement of debris.
UNIT-III
Volcanic topography.
Karst topography.
Fluvial, Aeolian, Glacial and Marine Landforms and their processes.
UNIT-IV
Models of landscape evolution and slope development: Ideas of Davis, Penck, and King.
Multicyclic and polygenetic evolution of landscapes.
M.A. GEOGRAPHY (SEMESTER – I)
Essential Readings:
1. Bloom, Arthur L., Geomorphology: A Systematic Analysis of Late Cainozoic Landforms,
Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs, N.J. (Pearson Edition, 2003), 1997.
2. Davis, W. M., Geographical Essays, Dover, Boston, 1909.
3. Fairbridge, R. W., Encyclopaedia of Geomorphology, Reinhold, New York, 1969.
4. Holmes, A., Principles of Physical Geology, Nelson, London, 1968.
5. King, L.C., The Morphology of the Earth, Hafner, New York, 1962.
6. Penck, W., Morphologic Analysis of Landforms, St. Marisip Press, London, 1953.
7. Pitty, A. F., Introduction to Geomorphology, Methuen, London, 1971.
8. Singh, Savinder, Geomorphology, Prayag, Prakashan, Allahabad, 1998.
9. Small, R. J., The Study of Landforms, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 1970.
10. Thornbury, W. D., Principles of Geomorphology, John Wiley, New York, 1969.
11. Twidale, C. R., Analysis of Landforms, John Wiley, London, 1976.
12. Twidale, C. R., Structural Landforms, A.N.U. Press, Canberra, 1971.
Further Readings:
1. Cooke, R. U. and A., Warren : Geomorphology in Deserts, Batsford, London, 1973.
2. Embleton, C. and C. A. M., King : Glacial and Periglacial Geomorphology, Arnold,
London, 1968.
3. Melhorn, W. N. and R. C., Flemal : Theories of Landform Development, State University
of New York, Binghamton, 1976.
4. Scheideguer, A. E., Theoretical Geomorphology, S. V., Berlin.
5. Skinner, B. J. and S.C., Porter : The Dynamic Earth, John Wiley, New York, 1995.
Pedagogy:
The study of this paper needs adequate understanding of geomorphic forms and processes. It
can be achieved through suitable use of audio-visual aids, photographs, maps, other forms of
illustrations and, depending upon feasibility, field visits.
Paper-III: CARTOGRAPHY (THEORY AND PRACTICAL)
Distribution of Marks:
(i) Written paper of three hours duration along with theory papers 50 Marks
(ii) Practical record and viva voce (20+10) 30 Marks
(iii) Two practical exercises set on the spot by the examiner 20 Marks
Note: Question paper shall consist of two sections as follows:
Section-A: The examiner shall set 10 questions and the candidates will attempt 7 questions
carrying 2 marks each. Answer to each question shall not exceed half of the page.
The total weightage of this section shall be 14 marks.
Section-B: The examiner shall set 8 questions for the entire syllabus, 2 from each unit. The
candidates shall attempt any 4 questions one from each unit. Each question shall
carry 9 marks. The total weightage of this section shall be 36 marks.
Objectives:
The objective of this course is to promote awareness of the M.A. students of the various
cartographic techniques available for graphic representation of relief, population, agriculture,
industrial and transport data, the steps of construction of the techniques - their merits and
demerits. An effort is made to help them develop manual skills of drawing maps based on some
of the above-mentioned data. They are also told about benefits of GIS and computer-assisted
cartography.
UNIT-I
Cartography - Nature, history and recent trends.
GIS and Computer Assisted Cartography (four practical exercises as per the availability of
equipment/hardware & software).
Types of data and symbols.
UNIT-II
Landform Mapping and Analysis :
Problems of Landform Mapping : Elementary conventional methods and profiles
(serial, longitudinal, superimposed, composite and projected).
UNIT-III
Calculation of Gradient, scales of slopes. Methods of slope analysis; Wentworth, Henry and
Raisz,Robinson.
Mapping of climatic data: Temperature and Rainfall.
UNIT-IV
Representation of Population data.
Representation of Agriculture data.
1. Each candidate shall prepare a Practical File containing at least 15 exercises under the
supervision and guidance of the teacher concerned. The candidate shall submit his Practical
File at least 10 days before the commencement of the theory examination to the concerned
department duly approved and signed by the faculty member teaching the course.
2. Assessment of practical record and viva voce on it will be done by a Board of Examiners,
consisting of one external examiner and one internal examiner, as practical examinations.
Books Recommended:
Essential Readings:
1. Keates, J.S., Cartographic Design and Production, Longman, London, 1973.
2. Misra, R.P. and Ramesh, A., Fundamental of Cartography, Concept Publishing
Company, New Delhi, 1989.
3. Monkhouse, F.J., Maps and Diagrams, Methuen and Co., London, 1994.
4. Raisz, Erwin, Principles of Cartography, McGraw Hill, New York, 1962.
5. Robinson, A.H. and Others, Elements of Cartography, John Willy & Sons, New York,
6th edition, 1992.
Further Readings:
1. Birch, T., Maps- Topographical and Statistical, Clarendon Press, Oxford, 1949.
2. Brown, L.A., The Story of Maps, Cressit Press, London, 1951.
3. Garnett, Alice, Geographical Interpretation of Topographical Maps, George Harrap and
Co., London, 1945.
4. Gregory, S., Statistical Methods and the Geographer, Longmans, London, 1963.
5. Ramamurthy, K., Maps Interpretation : India Landscapes Through Survey of India,
Topographic Maps, R.K. Mutt Road, Madras, 1982.
6. Wood Clifford H. and Keller C., Cartographic Design - Theoretical and Practical
Perspectives, John Wiley & Sons, 1996.
Pedagogy:
There should be adequate interaction between the teacher and students. The teacher should make
maximum use of wall maps and other illustrations like maps from geography books, Ph.D. thesis,
research reports and atlases while teaching the use of different cartographic techniques. This
course is concerned with visual techniques, therefore maximum use of the visual illustrations
should be made while teaching this course.
Option (i) : FUNDAMENTALS OF POPULATION GEOGRAPHY
carrying 4 marks each. Answer to each question shall not exceed half of the page.
Objectives:
The aim of this course is to explain the geographical approach to the study of population. It
focuses on analysis of broad spatial patterns of world population examining population resource
relationship and population problems and policies of developed and less developed countries of
the world.
Course Contents :
UNIT-I
(i) Nature and scope of population geography; methodological problems in population
geography; recent developments in population geography; population geography in India.
(ii) Sources of population data: Quality and reliability of data; problems of mapping
population data.
UNIT-II
(iii) Concepts, determinants and world patterns of following attributes of population:
Distribution and density.
Vital rates : Birth and death rates.
Growth.
Migration (including laws of migration).
Age and sex composition.
Literacy.
Urbanization.
Occupation.
UNIT-III
Population and resources: Concepts of optimum population, over-population and underpopulation.
Population - resource regions, theories of population ( Malthus, Ricardo and Marx).
UNIT-IV
A comparative study of the population problems and policies of developed and Developing
countries with special focus on the following countries :
Developed(A) USA, Great Britain
(b) Developing: China, India.
Books Recommended:
Essential Readings:
1. Barret, H.R., Population Geography, Oxford & Boyd, Oxford, 1997.
2. Chandna, R.C., Population, Kalyani Publishers, New Delhi, 1998.
3. Chandna, R.C., A Geography of Population (Third Edition), Kalyani Publishers, New
Delhi, 2006.
4. Chandna, R.C., Jansankhya Bhoogol (Hindi - Third Edition), Kalyani Publishers, New
Delhi, 2006.
5. Clarke, John I., Population Geography and the Developing Countries, Pergamon Press,
New York, 1971.
6. Demko, G.J. and Others (Eds.), Population Geography: A Reader, McGraw Hill Books
Co., New York, 1971.
7. Trewartha, G.T., The Less Developed Realm: A Geography of its Population, John Wiley
& Sons., Inc., New York, 1972.
8. Trewartha, G.T., The More Developed Realm: A Geography of its Population, Pergamon
Press, New York, 1978.
9. Zelinsky, Wilbur, A Prologue to Population Geography, Prentice Hall, New Jersey, 1966.
Further Readings :
1. Beaujeu Garnier, J., Geography of Population, Longman, London, 1966.
2. Brooks, S., The World Population Today (Ethnodemographic Processes), U.S.S.R.
Academy of Sciences, Moscow, 1977.
3. Chandna, R.C., Environmental Awareness, Kalyani Publishers, New Delhi, 1998.
4. Crook, Nigel, Principles of Population and Development, edited by Ian, M. Timacus,
Oxford University Press, Oxford, 1997.
5. Jones, H.R., A Population Geography, Harper and Row Publishers, London, 1981.
6. U.N.D.P., Human Development Report, Oxford University Press, Oxford, 1997.
7. United Nations, World Population Situation in 1983, U.N. Publications, New York, 1984.
8. Woods, R., Population Analysis in Geography, Longman, London, 1979.
Pedagogy:
The students may be encouraged to interact with census officials so as to understand the census
operations in the country. The students may also interact with the students from other disciplines,
which study population in order to understand the geographical approach to the study of
population.
Option–(ii): POLITICAL GEOGRAPHY
Objectives:
The course is designed to acquaint the student with the conceptual framework for the study of
geographical bases for political phenomena.
To create awareness about the role of geographical factors in influencing political character of
individual countries/regions.
Course Contents:
UNIT-I
Definition, approaches, scope and importance of Political Geography.
Study of different geographical-political schools of thought.
Recent developments in political geography.
UNIT-II
Elements of Political Geography :
Physical elements (location, size and shape).
Human elements (Population-size, density & distribution, growth, composition, race,
ethnographic and religious composition).
Economic elements (Transportation- surface, air & water; foreign trade and investment).
UNIT-III
Special themes in Political Geography :
State and Nation.
Frontiers and Boundaries.
Geo-strategic views: The contributions of H. Mackinder, A.T. Mahan, N.J. Spykman.
UNIT-IV
Federalism: Definition, concept, approaches and types, geography and federalism.
Place of electoral study in political geography; geographical approaches to the study of elections;
Electoral abuse.

more syllabus detail to attached in a pdf file;

Quick Reply
Your Username: Click here to log in