2023 2024 Student Forum > Management Forum > Main Forum

9th December 2017, 01:02 PM
Super Moderator

Re: Engineering Mechanics Kannur University

The syllabus of 2K6 EN104: Engineering Mechanics under Combined I & II Semesters of B. Tech. Degree Programme offered by Faculty of Engineering of Kannur University is as follows:

2K6 EN104: ENGINEERING MECHANICS

2 hours lecture and 1 hour tutorial per week

Module I: (15 hours)
Principles of statics Free body diagrams coplanar forces and force systems Resultant and
equilibrium conditions for concurrent,parallel and general system of forces Solution of problems by scalar
approach. Introduction to vector approach (Application to simple problems only) Concurrent forces in space
Resultant Equilibrium of a particle in space Non-concurrent forces in space Resultant of force systems.

Module II: (17hours)
Friction Laws of friction Simple contact friction problems Wedge. Properties of surfaces First
moment and centroid of curve and area Centroid of composite plane figures Theorems of Pappus guldinus
Second moments of plane figures and composite sections Transfer theorems Polar moment of area
Product of inertia and principal axes. Moment of inertia of a rigid body M I of a lamina M.I of 3 dimensional bodies (cylinder, circular rod, sphere)

Module III: (17 hours)
Introduction to structural mechanics Different types of supports, loads and beams Reactions at supports. Shear force and Bending moment in beams - Shear force and Bending moment diagrams for cantilever and simply supported beams (only for concentrated and uniformly distributed load cases). Plane trusses Types
of trusses (Perfect, Deficient and Redundant trusses) Analysis of trusses Method of joints Method of sections.

Module IV: (17 hours)
Kinetics of rectilinear motion Newtons second law DAlemberts principle Motion in horizontal and inclined surfaces- Analysis of lift motion Motion of connected bodies. Curvilinear motion Equation of motion Tangential and normal acceleration Centripetal and centrifugal forces Motion of vehicles on circular path. Work, power and energy Work done by a force Work of the force of gravity and force of spring Work-energy equation Transformation and conservation of energy- Applications to problems. Kinematics of rotation Rigid body rotation about a fixed axis Rotation under the action of constant moment Introduction to mechanical vibrations Simple harmonic motion free vibration Oscillation of spring Torsional vibration

Text Books:
1. Timoshenko and Young, Engineering Mechanics, McGraw Hill Publishers
2. Hibbler, Engineering Mechanics, Vol I statics, Vol II Dynamics, Pearson

Reference Books:
1. Beer,F.P. Amd Johnson, E.R.,Mechanics for Engineers- Statics and Dynamics, McGraw Hill
2. Shames, I.H.,Engineering Mechanics- Statics and Dynamics, Prentice Hall of India
3. Merriam J.L and Kraige L.G., Engineering Mechanics- vol 1 and 2, John Wiley

Sessional Work Assessment
Assignments 2x10 = 15
2 tests 2x15 = 30
Attendance = 5
Total marks = 50

University Examination Pattern
Q I - 8 short type questions of 5 marks, 2 from each module.
Q II - 2 questions A and B of 15 marks from module I with choice to answer any one.
Q III - 2 questions A and B of 15 marks from module II with choice to answer any one.
Q IV - 2 questions A and B of 15 marks from module III with choice to answer any one.
Q V - 2 questions A and B of 15 marks from module IV with choice to answer any one.

Quick Reply
Your Username: Click here to log in