2023 2024 Student Forum > Management Forum > Main Forum

30th May 2015, 02:59 PM
Unregistered

Dte & dce

I am doing research on Computer Networks and want to know about Data Circuit-Terminating Equipment (DCE), device that sits between the Data Terminal Equipment (DTE) and a Data Transmission Circuit so please provide me detailed information?
3rd September 2018, 10:20 AM
Unregistered

Re: Dte & dce

Hell sir, what is difference between Data terminating equipment and Data circuit terminating equipment? Please show me difference chart of Data terminating equipment and Data circuit terminating equipment?
3rd September 2018, 10:21 AM
Super Moderator

Re: Dte & dce

The DTE is a device that acts as an information source or information sink for the binary digital data. In contrast, DCE is a device used as an interface between a DTE. It also transmits or receives data in the form of digital or analog signal in a network.

The Data Terminal Equipment is equipment terminates flow of information in any communication network is referred as DTE (Data Terminal Equipment).

These equipments are located inside or near customer premises. These are purchased or owned by customers utilizing service.

Its Examples: Terminals, computers, laptops, routers, bridges etc.

In other hand the Data Circuit Terminating Equipment is a equipment for transport information over communication medium is referred as DCE (Data Circuit Terminating Equipment).

These equipments are located in between DTE and communication medium (i.e. fiber cable, twisted pair). It takes care providing functions such as coding, clocking etc. for the information to be transmitted and received.

Its Examples: Modem, Switch etc.

Comparison Chart:

Basis For Comparison DTE DCE

Basic
A device that is an information source or an information sink A device used as an interface between a DTE.

Primary functions

Produces the data and transfers them to a DCE, with essential control characters. Converts the signals to a format appropriate to the transmission medium and introduces it onto the network line.

Coordination
No coordination is required between DTE devices. DCE devices must be coordinated in order to communicate.

Included devices
Routers and computers Modem

Relation
Connected through the help of a DCE network. DCE network acts as a medium for two DTE networks.

Quick Reply
Your Username: Click here to log in