2023 2024 Student Forum > Management Forum > Main Forum

21st November 2014, 11:14 AM
Super Moderator

Re: Difference between Microcontroller and Microprocessor

Here you are looking for Difference between Microcontroller and Microprocessor, as you want here I am providing you.

Difference between Microcontroller and Microprocessor

A microprocessor (abbreviated as µP or uP) is a computer electronic component made from
miniaturized transistors and other circuit elements on a single semiconductor integrated
circuit (IC) (microchip or just chip). The central processing unit (CPU) is the most well known
microprocessor, but many other components in a computer have them, such as the
Graphics Processing Unit (GPU) on a video card. In the world of personal computers, the
terms microprocessor and CPU are used interchangeably. At the heart of all personal
computers and most workstations sits a microprocessor. Microprocessors also control the
logic of almost all digital devices, from clock radios to fuel‐injection systems for
automobiles.
Microcontroller is a computer‐on‐a‐chip optimised to control electronic devices. It is
designed specifically for specific tasks such as controling a specific system. A microcontroller
(sometimes abbreviated µC, uC or MCU) is basically a specialized form of microprocessor
that is designed to be self‐sufficient and cost‐effective. Also, a microcontroller is part of an
embedded system, which is essentially the whole circuit board.
An embedded system is a computer system designed to perform one or a few dedicated
functions often with real‐time computing constraints. It is embedded as part of a complete
device often including hardware and mechanical parts.
Examples of microcontrollers are Microchip's PIC, the 8051, Intel's 80196, and Motorola's
68HCxx series. Microcontrollers which are frequently found in automobiles, office machines,
toys, and appliances are devices which integrate a number of components of a
microprocessor system onto a single microchip:
• The CPU core (microprocessor)
• Memory (both ROM and RAM)
• Some parallel digital I/O
The microcontroller sees the integration of a number of useful functions into a single IC
package. These functions are:
• The ability to execute a stored set of instructions to carry out user defined tasks.
• The ability to be able to access external memory chips to both read and write data
from and to the memory.
The difference between the two is that a microcontroller incorporates features of
microprocessor (CPU, ALU, Registers) along with the presence of added features like
presence of RAM, ROM, I/O ports, counter, etc. Here a microcontroller controls the
operation of a machine using fixed programs stored in ROM that doesn't change with
lifetime.

Difference between Microcontroller and Microprocessor

If you want any more details about give information please let me know we will provide you.

Quick Reply
Your Username: Click here to log in