2023 2024 Student Forum > Management Forum > Jobs

17th April 2015, 02:20 PM
Unregistered

Dce dfs

What is meant by the Distributed Computing Environment/ Distributed File System (DCE/DFS) and what are the advantages of it? Also tell me is DCE/DFS are the Microsoft Distributed File System? Can you please give me detailed information about it?
3rd September 2018, 02:10 PM
Unregistered

Re: Dce dfs

I am doing engineering degree and searching for details about DCE Distributed File System (DCE/DFS) searching for details. Will you please provide me details about DCE Distributed File System (DCE/DFS) also tell what the DCE DFS features so that I can put details in project?
3rd September 2018, 02:10 PM
Super Moderator

Re: Dce dfs

The DCE Distributed File System (DCE/DFS) is the remote file access protocol used with the Distributed Computing Environment. It was a variant of Andrew File System(AFS), based on the AFS Version 3.0 protocol that was developed commercially by Transarc Corporation.

DFS Data Organization

DFS data is organized at three levels.

The three levels of DFS data are as follows, from smallest to largest:

Files and directories
The unit of user data. Directories organize files (and other directories) into a hierarchical tree structure.

Filesets
The unit of administration. A fileset is a subtree of files and directories that is no larger than a disk or partition (or logical volume, if supported). The fileset is a convenient grouping of files for administrative purposes; for example, the subtree of files pertaining to a particular project can be grouped in the same fileset.

Aggregates
The unit of disk storage, similar to a disk partition. It is also the unit of fileset exporting, which makes the data in filesets available to users of DFS. It can contain one or more filesets.

DCE DFS has the following features:

Uniform file access
DFS is based on a global namespace.

Intracell location transparency
Data can move from one location to another within a cell without a user or programmer being affected by the move.

Performance
DFS is a high-performance file service.

Availability
DFS makes its services and data highly available in several ways

Support for distributed application programming
DFS is itself a distributed application, but it in turn supports the development of other distributed applications.

Ease of administration and scalability
DFS files are grouped into units called filesets, which are convenient to administer.

Integration
DFS is fully integrated with other DCE components, including RPC, the security service, the directory service, and threads.

Interoperation
DFS interoperates with other file systems; for example, a UFS can be exported to users of DFS.

Standards
DFS maintains POSIX single-site read/write semantics. DCE LFS adheres to POSIX 1003.1.

Quick Reply
Your Username: Click here to log in