2023 2024 Student Forum > Management Forum > Main Forum

16th May 2016, 11:17 AM
Unregistered

CSB Bank Seed

Hello sir, I am Ronak. I am from Bangalore. I want you to help me by giving me some information about the Community Seed Banks (CSBs) established by Green Foundation. Can you give me some details about it?
Similar Threads
Thread
IARI Seed Technology Division
ANGRAU Seed Technology
Seed Division IARI
Msc seed technology syllabus
Seed Priming TNAU
Seed Drill TNAU
Seed mba
Seed Science and Technology IARI
IARI Seed Division
TNAU Seed Portal
TNAU Seed Science And Technology
Ph.D. Seed Science & Technology Colleges
List of Universities for Ph.D. course in seed technology
16th May 2016, 11:20 AM
Super Moderator

Re: CSB Bank Seed

As you have asked about the Community Seed Banks (CSBs) established by Green Foundation, I am giving you information about it, check below for the details
Community Seed Banks (CSBs) are places of storage where indigenous seed varieties are conserved and managed by community members.
These ex-situ conservation sites provide farmers with free and easy access to traditional seeds under the condition that a farmer returns twice the amount of seeds he or she borrowed.

These seed banks form the cornerstone of GREEN’s efforts for biodiversity conservation through community empowerment.

Members are trained on seed selection, storage, record keeping and other aspects of seed bank management.

The Foundation has helped establish close to 11 seed banks across Karnataka, some of which contain as many as a 100 different varieties of indigenous seeds.
Over 2250 households have been directly and indirectly impacted through these CSBs.

Through collaboration with 11 other NGOs, GREEN has also initiated the set up of 34 seed banks in 9 of Karnataka’s 10 agro-climatic zones.

Functioning of a seed bank:

Functions of a CSB include: storing seeds in the proper manner, lending seeds to those who request them and keeping records of seeds returned.
A very important duty of CSB members is promoting traditional agricultural practices through the use of local seeds.

Green Foundation
P.O.Box No. 7651
No. 120, Ist Floor
7th cross, Bilekahalli Dollar Layout,
off Bannerghatta road, Opp Mantri Elite
Bangalore - 560 076, India

Quick Reply
Your Username: Click here to log in