2023 2024 Student Forum > Management Forum > Main Forum

25th September 2017, 02:01 PM
Super Moderator

Re: Civil Engineering Syllabus Mumbai University

The University of Mumbai is one of the first state universities of India and the oldest in Maharashtra. The University of Mumbai offers Bachelors, Masters and Doctoral courses, as well as diplomas and certificates in many disciplines.

The Syllabus of the V Semester Subject Geotechnical Engineering I of B.tech civil Engineering Course of the Mumbai University is given below

Introduction 01

i. Definitions: Rock, Soil - origin & formation, Soil mechanics, Rock mechanics, Soil engineering, Geotechnical engineering.
ii. Scope of soil engineering- Importance of field exploration &
characterization, design construction phases of foundations, post
construction phase monitoring.
iii. Limitations of soil engineering.
iv. Cohesionless cohesive soil; Terminology of different types of soil.

2. Basic definitions and relationships
i. Soil as three phase and two phase system in terms of weight, volume, void ratio, porosity.

ii. Weight, volume weightvolume relationships: water content, void ratio, porosity, degree of saturation, air voids, air content, unit weights, specific gravity of solids, mass absolute specific gravity.

iii. Relationships between: different unit weights with void ratio-degree of saturation-specific gravity; different unit weights with porosity; void ratio-water content; different unit weights with water content; unit weight air voids.

iv. Mention different methods to find water content, specific gravity, unit weight of soil (Detailed description to be covered during practical).

3. Particle size analysis and Plasticity characteristics of soil 0
i. Mechanical analysis: dry sieve analysis combined sieve sedimentation analysis; Stokes law theory of sedimentation; introduction to hydrometer method of analysis, relation between percentage finer hydrometer reading, Limitation of sedimentation
analysis, Particle size distribution curve its uses.
ii. Relative density
iii. Plasticity of soil, consistency limits- determination of liquid limit, plastic limit, shrinkage limit, definitions of: shrinkage parameters, plasticity, liquidity consistency indices, measurement of consistency, flow toughness indices, uses of consistency limits.
iv. Clay mineralogy:- gravitational surface forces, primary valence bond, hydrogen bond, secondary valance bonds, basic structural units of clay minerals, difference in kaolinite, montmorillonite illite minerals, adsorbed water, soil structure.
v. Sensitivity, thixotropy activity of soils.

4. Classification of soils
i. Necessity of soil classification, Indian Stard particle size classification, Indian stard soil classification system, boundary classifications
ii. General characteristics of soils of different groups.

5. Permeability of soils
i. Introduction: ground water flow- water table, types of aquifers; capillary water types of soil water, surface tension, capillary rise in small diameter tubes, capillary tension, capillary rise in soils.
ii. Hydraulic head hydraulic gradient, Darcy‘s law, validity of Darcy‘s law.
iii. General laminar flow, Laminar flow through soil, Factors affecting
permeability of soil.
iv. Determination of coefficient of permeability of soil:- Laboratory methods: constant head variable head; Field methods: pumping out pumping in tests; Indirect methods: Consolidation test data.
v. Permeability of stratified soil.

6. Seepage analysis 0
i. Two dimensional flow- Laplace equation, analytical solution: stream potential functions, graphical representation: flow net, characteristics of flow net, uses of flow nets.
University of Mumbai Civil Engineering Rev 2012-13 Page 16
ii. Other solution methods for Laplace equation- numerical methods.
iii. Soil migration filtration: Seepage velocity; Effect of seepage pressure soil migration in structures such as earth dams, retaining walls, pavements, basements; soil migration prevention through graded soil filters, geotextile & geo-composite filters.
iv. Geosynthetics: Definition, basic functions, types of geosynthetics—geotextiles, geogrids, geo cells, geomembranes, geo composites; geotextile types woven nonwoven, Apparent Opening Size (AOS), basic hydraulic properties- permittivity transmissivity of geotextiles
v. Filter design criteria for graded soil geotextile filters.

7. Effective stress principle
i. Sources of stress in the ground- geostatic stresses induced stresses; vertical, horizontal shear stresses, effective stress principle, and nature of effective stress.
ii. Effect of water table fluctuations, surcharge, capillary action, seepagepressure on effective stress; quick s condition

8. Compaction of soils
i. Introduction, theory of compaction, laboratory methods of determination of optimum moisture content maximum dry density,
ii. Factors affecting compaction, effect of compaction on properties of
soil; Relative compaction.

. Consolidation of soils
i. Compressibility & settlement, comparison between compaction & consolidation, concept of excess pore water pressure, initial, primary secondary consolidation, spring analogy for primary consolidation, consolidation test results, coefficient of compressibility, coefficient of volume change , compression, expansion recompression indices, normally over consolidated soils.

ii. Terzhaghi‘s theory of consolidation- assumptions, coefficient of vertical
consolidation, distribution of hydrostatic excess pore water pressure with depth & time, time factor, relationship between time factor degree of consolidation, determination of coefficient of vertical consolidation, pre-consolidation pressure.

iii. Final settlements of a soil deposit in the field, time settlement curve,
field consolidation curve.

10. Shear strength
i. Introduction, three dimensional state of stress in soil mass, principal stresses in soil, shear failure in soils- frictional cohesive strength, general shear stress-strain curves in soil definition of failure, graphical method of determination of stresses on a plane inclined to the principal planes through Mohr‘s circle, important characteristics of Mohr‘s circle.
ii. Mohr-Coulomb theory- shear strength parameters; Mohr-Coulomb failure criterion- relation between major minor principle stresses, total & effective stress analysis.
iii. Different types of shear tests drainage conditions; Direct shear test, Triaxial compression test (UU, CU CD), Unconfined compression btest, Vane shear test; comparison between direct & triaxial tests, interpretation of test results of direct shear & triaxial shear testsstress-strain curves Mohr failure envelopes

iv. Determination of shear strength of soil with geosynthetics- pull out test: ASTM procedure for finding shear strength of soil-geosynthtic system.

Syllabus of the V Semester Subject Geotechnical Engineering I of B.tech civil Engineering Course of the Mumbai University

For the Detail Syllabus you may Consider the below Attachement that is Free to Download

Last edited by pawan; 25th September 2017 at 02:03 PM.

Quick Reply
Your Username: Click here to log in