2023 2024 Student Forum > Management Forum > Main Forum

30th October 2014, 08:30 AM
Super Moderator

Re: CAT exam Important Topics & Books

Common Admission Test is conducted on National level by the Indian Institutes of Management (IIMs). CAT is normally held from mid of October to Novermber.

As you want the important topics for CAT exam so here I am providing you the Syllabus & exam pattern of this exam.

CAT Exam Syllabus

In this Exam mainly the questions are asked from-

Quantitative Aptitude
Reading Comprehension & Verbal Ability and
Data Interpretation & Data Sufficiency.

CAT Exam Pattern-

CAT 2014 will be of two sections:

The first section will focus on Quantitative Ability & Data Interpretation;
The second section will focus on Verbal Ability & Logical Reasoning.
The duration of examination will be 140 minutes.
Candidates will have 70 minutes to answer 30 questions within each section which will have an on-screen countdown timer.

Yeah RS Aggarwal is good book for CAT preparation but here I am suggesting you some more books for this examination I think it will also help you.

A Modern Approach To Verbal & Non-Verbal Reasoning (English) Revised Edition (Paperback)

How to Prepare for Quantitative Aptitude for the CAT (English) 6th Edition (Paperback)

Quantitative Aptitude Quantum CAT Common Admission Test for Admission into IIMs (English) 7th Edition (Paperback)

15th May 2015, 03:55 PM
Unregistered

Can you provide me the syllabus of Common Admission Test (CAT) exam as I will be giving the exam this year? Give me the names of some of the good reference books for its preparation?
15th May 2015, 03:57 PM
Super Moderator

There is no fixed syllabus for IIM CAT. Exam pattern depict the questions are mainly from these areas usually divided into two sections

Section I

Quantitative Ability & Data Interpretation
Quantitative Ability comprising mainly of arithmetic, mensuration, geometry, algebra, trignometry, probablity and calculus etc

Arithmetic - number systems, ratio propotions, simplification, averages, ages, time, work, distances etc.
Geomtery - triangles and circles
Mensuration - areas and volumes
Algebra - theory of equations, quadratiic equations, pemutations and combinations, sequence and series etc
Trignometry - height and distances
Calculus - maxima and minima, functions etc
Data Interpretation
Data Interpretation - line graphs, bar charts, tables, pie diagrams, scatter diagrams

Section II

Verbal Ability & Logical Reasoning
Verbal Ability comprising English Grammar, Vocabulary, Proficiency, Usage and Comprehension

English Grammar - not many core questions
English Vocabulary - no straight synonyms or antonyms but sometimes analogies or pairs in fill in blanks
English Proficiency - correction, rearrangement and completion of sentences and paragraphs
English Usage - inappropriate usage of words, commonly confused pair of words
English Comprehension - around five to six paragraphs with around 1000 words and five to six questions each mainly checking your ability to comprehend with speed.

Logical Reasoning comprising passages on Logical Ability

Good Reference Books

Verbal Ability & Comprehension for CAT/ XAT/ GMAT/...

Quantitative Aptitude for CAT/ XAT/ IIFT/ CMAT/ MA...

CAT Topic- wise Solved Papers with Test & Assessme...

Quantitative Aptitude for CAT/ XAT/ IIFT/ CMAT/ MA..

Study Package for CAT & other MBA Entrance Exams w...

Quick Reply
Your Username: Click here to log in