2023 2024 Student Forum > Management Forum > Main Forum

25th August 2014, 03:35 PM
Super Moderator

Re: Books for IAS Sociology Exam

As you are looking for some of the best books of Sociology for the preparation of IAS Exam, so here I am suggesting you same

UPSC IAS Civil Seva (Main)Examination Chapterwise Explanatory Questionnaire Sociology (Paper I & II) (English) 2nd Edition
Author: Atul Kumar Mishra

David & Goliath : Underdogs, Misfits and the Art of Battling Giants (English) (Hardcover) by Malcolm Gladwell

Sociology Books on India—

Ram Ahuja: Society in India
L.P. Vidhyarthi - Tribal India
Social structure - M.N. Srinivas
Yojana (Independence day special 2001 on population)
Y. Singh - Social Change in India
Basic Concepts of Indian sociology - Y Singh (Modernization of Indian Tradition), Villavge, Town, City, Maclver & Page
IGNOU Material
Ram Ahuja: Social problems in India
IGNOU notes (especially for thinkers and topic on Indian system)
Caste its 20th Century Avatar - M.N. Srinivas
Participation as freedom - Amartya Sen and Jean Dreze
Y. Singh - Modernisation of Indian Tradition
Y. Singh - Social tradition in India
NCERT texts books on sociology
20th March 2015, 07:54 AM
Unregistered

Hello sir I have completed my graduation and now I am looking forward for fighting civil services exam. Will you please provide me list of books for sociology exam.
20th March 2015, 08:30 AM
Super Moderator

Ias stands for indian administrative service . It is one of the prestigious services among the 24 services like IPS, IFS etc for the which the UPSC conduct Civil Services Examination for selecting the candidates.
The exam to be undertaken For IAS is known as UPSC Civil Services Exam – which consists of 3 stages – Prelims, Mains and Interview.

(A) Tentative Schedule
(i) Notification of Examination November/December of previous year

(ii) Conduct of Examination May

Age – limits : 21-30 years as on 1st August of the year of Examination.
(Certain categories of persons as specified in the Commission's Notice as published in Employment News/Rozgar Samachar are eligible for age relaxation.)

Educational Qualification :

• Degree of a Recognised University or equivalent.

• Candidates appearing in the requisite Degree qualification are also eligible for appearing in the examination; however, they are supposed to submit proof of passing the requisite qualification along with Detailed Application Form for Civil Services (Main) Examination.

Here I am giving you list of books for your sociology preparation.

For paper 1
1.Herton and Hunt, Sociology, Mcgraw- Hill International, Singapore 1984

2 Abrahamson Mark, Urban Sociology, Prentice-Hall Inc, Englewood Cliffs, N.J., 1980

3 Haris C. C., The Sociology Enterprises : A Disscussion of Fundamental Concept, St. Martin Press Inc., New York, 1980

4 Wilson John, Introduction to Social Movements, Basic Books, NY , 1998.

5 Hamilton , Malcom, B. The Sociology of Religion, Routledge, London , 1995.

6 Williams, Malcom, Science and Social Science : An Introduction, Routledge, London , 2000.

7 D.K.S. Roy, Social Development and the Empowerment of Mariginalised Groups: Perspectives and Strategies, Sage, New Delhi - 2001

8. Harris C.C., The Family, Allen and Unwin, London - 1977

9 Andreas Hess, Concept of Social Stratification, European and American Models, Palgrave, Houndmills, NY , 2001

10 Giddens, Anthony, Capitalisation and Modern Social Theory, University Press Cambridge, 1971 - See more at

For paper 2.

Mandelbaum, David, Society in India, University of California, Press Berkreley, 1970

2 Srivnivas M N Caste in Modern India and Other Essays, Asia Publishing House, Bombay -1962

3 Srinivas M N Social Change in Modern India, Berkeley,University of California Press 1966.

4 Srinivas and Shah, The Myth of the self sufficiency of the Indian Village, The Economic weekly, 12:1375-1378

5 Beteille Andre Sociology, Oxford, New Delhi - 2002

6 Beteille Andre, The idea of Natural, Inequality and other Essays, Oxford, Delhi - 1987.

7 Beteille Andre, Essay in Contemporary Sociology, Oxford, Delhi - 1987.

8. Beteille Andre, Social Inequality of Indian Penguine, London, 1978.

9 Singh Yogender Cultural Change in India, Rawat, Jaipur, 2002.

10 Singh Yogender, Modernization of Indian Tradition, Thompson Press, New Delhi - 1973.

11 Unnithan T K , Indra Dev and Singh, Y, (eds) Towards a Sociology of Culture in India, Prentice Hall, new Delhi - 1965.

12 Gupta, Dipasnkar, Interrograting Caste, Penguine, New Delhi - 2000.

Quick Reply
Your Username: Click here to log in