2023 2024 Student Forum > Management Forum > Main Forum

10th July 2018, 09:37 AM
Unregistered

Re: Bharathiar University Chemistry Syllabus

Hi friends I want to collect Bharathiar University M.Sc. Chemistry program syllabus in PDF mode so would you plz let me know from where I can do download it on free of cost ??
10th July 2018, 09:39 AM
Super Moderator

Re: Bharathiar University Chemistry Syllabus

As you want here I am giving below Bharathiar University M.Sc. Chemistry program syllabus on your demand :

ORGANIC CHEMISTRY I ( Reaction Mechanisms )
Course Code: CHMA13A
Number of credit hours : 4 (four)
Subject Description:
This course presents the principles of various organic reactions and outlines the mechanism and
discusses the applications of reactions
Goals:
To enable the students to learn the principles of reaction mechanism and modern reagents
used for various reactions
Objectives
On successful completion of the course the students should have
i) Understood the principles and reaction mechanism involving various electrophonic,
nucleophilic, addition, elimination, redox reactions & molecular rearrangements:
Contents
Unit I
Aliphatic and Aromatic Nnucleophilic Substitution Reactions:
Bonding - structure and reactivity - acids and bases (hard and soft acid base theory) -
methods of determination and the study of reaction mechanisms.
SN
, SN
, SN
i
and neighbouring group mechanisms - kinetics - effects of structure -
solvent and leaving and entering group - stereochemistry - hydrolysis of esters - Wurtz reaction -
Claisen and Dieckmann condensation - Williamson reactions.
Different mechanisms of aromatic nucleophilic substitution - Ziegler alkylation -
Chichibabin reaction - cine substitution - diazonium group as leaving group

Unit - II
Aliphatic and Aromatic Electrophilic Substitution Reactions:
SE
and SE
reactions - mechanisms and reactivity - typical reactions involving migration
of double bond - keto-enol tautomerism - halogenation of carbonyl compounds - Stork enamine
reactions - decarboxylation of aliphatic acids - Friedel Crafts acylation of olefinic carbon.
Aromatic electrophilic substitution - reactivity - orientation and mechanisms - nitration -
halogenation and sulphonation - Friedel Crafts alkylation - Friedel Crafts arylation (Scholl
reaction) and acylation - Jacobsen reaction - formylation with (i) disubstituted
formamides(Vilsmeyer- Haack reaction) (ii) zinc cyanide and HCl (Gattermann reaction) (iii)
chloroform (Reimer - Tiemann reaction) - carboxylation with (i) carbonyl halides (ii) carbon
dioxide (Kolbe Schmidt reaction) - amidation with isocyanates - hydroxyalkylation
(hydroxyalkyl - dehydrogenation)- cyanodehydration of aldehydes and ketones (Bradsher
reaction and Bischler - Napieralski rection) - haloalkylation - aminoalkylation and amido
alkylation - thioalkylation -acylation with nitriles (Hoesch reaction) - cyanation - hydroxylation.
Unit III
Molecular Rearrangements:
Molecular rearrangements - intramolecular rearrangements - 1,2- shifts in carbonium ions
- Wagner-Meerwein and related rearrangements - Demjanov rearrangement - migration to
carbonyl carbon - Neber rearrangement Benzilic acid- Baeyer-Villiger rearrangement -
rearrangements to electron deficient nitrogen and oxygen - dienone-phenone - Favorski - Wolf -
benzidine - Claisen - Cope rearrangement, Ylides: Stevens-Wittig-Sommelet-Gruvenstein-
Zimmermann rearrangements- non-cyclic rearrangements - Chapman - Wallach rearrangement

Bharathiar University M.Sc. Chemistry program syllabus

Quick Reply
Your Username: Click here to log in