2023 2024 Student Forum > Management Forum > Main Forum

21st March 2016, 09:05 AM
Unregistered

Avoid MBA

Hello sir, I am Adam Hussey. I am from Boston. I want you to help me by giving me some information about the mistakes to avoid in MBA application essay. Can you help me by giving me some details about it?
Similar Threads
Thread
Bank of America Avoid Monthly Maintenance Fee
21st March 2016, 09:05 AM
Super Moderator

Re: Avoid MBA

As you have asked about the mistakes to avoid in MBA application essay, I am giving you some details about it
Neglecting to answer the question
Business schools create their essays with the goal of finding out how you fit their program, and not answering the question immediately indicates poor fit.

Using industry jargon or pretentious language:
Never assume the admissions committee member reviewing your application is intimately familiar with your particular industry. the admissions staff has only a few minutes to review each essay. It should be immediately digestible.

Basing essays on what you think the admissions committee is looking for:
This is a major pet peeve of the admissions committee, which is why they have gone to great lengths recently to come up with creative essay prompts. Stay true to yourself and your professional goals.

Using a negative tone, or sounding whiny or complaining:
As you come up with those great anecdotes to illustrate your leadership, problem-solving or team-building skills, make sure the examples in your essay don't include criticizing a co-worker or complaints about your supervisor, even in a subtle way.

Lying or exaggerating about your experience:
The admissions committee has various ways to fact-check a candidate's claims, and discovering fabricated information would trigger an automatic rejection, even if the mistake was innocent. Be accurate in how you represent yourself.

Failing to demonstrate passion:
Most MBA applicants aren't professional writers, and sometimes make the mistake of writing essays that are informative, logical, well-organized and, inadvertently, a snooze fest.

Discussing inappropriate topics:
While you do want to open up and allow the admissions committee to get to know the person behind the paper, certain subjects do not belong in an essay for business school.

Disregarding word count:
In almost all instances, the admissions committee has specified a word limit to the essays. With thousands of applications to read each round, they don't have time to review essays that read like epic tomes.

Referencing high school experiences:
Candidates applying straight out of college or with only one year of work experience can mention university accomplishments.

Making apologies or excuses
Address the matter directly, take ownership and explain what you learned or how you improved. No excuses or apologies needed – or desired.

Quick Reply
Your Username: Click here to log in