2023 2024 Student Forum > Management Forum > Jobs

17th April 2015, 03:56 PM
Unregistered

Au sis phd

I got a full time scholarship to American University from Delhi University. But I am a little confused that I should take up this scholarship and course or not. So kindly guide me regarding what should I do and what should I prefer regarding my carrier orientation
22nd July 2018, 02:50 PM
Unregistered

Re: Au sis phd

Can you provide me the course requirement for the Doctor of Philosophy in International Relations Program offered by School of International Service of American University?
22nd July 2018, 02:52 PM
Super Moderator

Re: Au sis phd

The Doctor of Philosophy in International Relations program offered by School of International Service of American University is designed to enable students to produce knowledge for careers in university teaching and research, government, and non-governmental organizations both in the United States and internationally.

Its curriculum is intended to provide training in international relations that is both multi-disciplinary and policy-relevant. The core courses in international relations, comparative social theory, comparative and regional studies, and methodology provide a foundation that allows students considerable flexibility to pursue additional coursework, research, and writing in international affairs.

Course Requirements

Core Theory (12 credit hours)
SIS-801 Schools of Thought in International Relations (3)
SIS-802 Comparative and Regional Studies (3)
SIS-803 Advanced Seminar in International Relations (3)
SIS-804 Social Theory in Comparative and International Perspective (3)

Social Science Research Methodology (12 credit hours)
SIS-806 Quantitative Methods in International Relations (3)
SIS-807 Qualitative Methods in International Relations (3)
SIS-809 Seminar on Advanced Research Design (3)
3 credit hours in policy analysis for international affairs

Field Requirements (9 credit hours)
One must identify a major field of concentration from among those offered by SIS or, in consultation with the Director of Doctoral Studies (as specified above), construct one of their own.
Specific course requirements and additional preparation for the field exams are determined by each field.
Fields of concentration include Comparative and Regional Studies; Global Environmental Policy; Global Governance, Politics, and Security; International Communication; International Development; International Economic Relations; International Peace and Conflict Resolution; and United States Foreign Policy and National Security

Elective Courses (6 credit hours)
2 additional courses that are relevant to study and approved by the SIS Director of Doctoral Studies

Research and Writing Requirement
One needs to maintain full-time status until they successfully defend a dissertation. Upon advance to candidacy, one maintains enrolment status by registering for SIS-899 Doctoral Dissertation (9). For each semester, up to 9 credit hours of SIS-899 is priced at the equivalent of one graduate credit hour

Quick Reply
Your Username: Click here to log in