2023 2024 Student Forum > Management Forum > Main Forum

15th November 2012, 02:17 PM
Super Moderator

Re: Anna University It Question Papers with Answers

Here I am giving you paper of the information technology course previous year exam question paper of anna university of English subject.

1. Match the words in column A with their meanings in column B: 4 x ½ = 2

A B
a. abundant i. rise
b. escalate ii. reach its highest point
c. culminate iii. strikingly grand
d. spectacular iv. plenty
2. Expand the following verbs into nouns by adding suitable suffixes: 4 x ½ = 2

a. protect
b. attract
c. purify
d. deplete

To get full paper you can see given below attachment:-
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Anna University Question Paper English.pdf (49.0 KB, 63 views)
20th March 2015, 09:23 AM
Unregistered

I am searching for the Anna University B.tech IT Technical English II Question Papers? Can you please tell me from where I can download the Anna University B.tech IT Technical English II Question Papers?
20th March 2015, 09:26 AM
Super Moderator

You are searching for the Anna University B.tech IT Technical English II Question Papers. Here I am uploading a file that contains the Anna University B.tech IT Technical English II Question Papers. you can download this from here.

1. Rewrite the following as numerical expressions. (4 × ½ = 2)
a. A team consisting of three men
b. A bulb with a power of 100 watts
c. A period of 45 minutes
d. A book with eighty pages

2. The underlined words in the following sentences are homonyms. Use any two of them in
sentences of your own, each with a meaning different from the meaning given. (2 × 1 = 2)
Names in the right hand column of the register, please! And place your bags under the
light please!

3. Complete the following conditionals with the correct forms of the verbs (4 × ½ = 2)
a. If I were a pilot, I __________________ (fly) around the whole world.
b. If she __________ (be) more careful, she would not have been involved in the accident.
c. If I do not get a bus, I __________ (take) an auto to work.
d. If it ____________ (not stop) raining, the match will be abandoned.

4. Rewrite the following in their passive form. (2 marks)
Computers have definitely transformed our classrooms. The use of computers in the
classroom enhances the learning experience of students.

5. Fill in the blanks with suitable modal verbs choosing from the list given: (4 × ½ = 2)
can, should, must, may, would
You __________ come for the fitness camp if you want to get back in shape. You will be
provided with food at the camp but you ______ bring snacks like whole grain biscuits if you
wish. However fried snacks will not be allowed. You _______ use cell phones in the camp, but
you ___________ switch them off during the exercise and yoga sessions.

6. Make sentences using any two of the following phrasal verbs. (2 × 1 = 2)
(a) break down (b) catch up (c) drop out (d) give

PART – ‘A’ (10 x 2 = 20)
1. In each of the following questions, out of the four alternatives, choose the one which can
be substituted for the given expression: (4 x ½ = 2)

a) Life history of a person written by another
A) bibliography B) autobiography C) memoir D) biography

b) A person who has no money to pay off his debt
A) debtor B) beggar C) pauper D) insolvent

c) A person who does not believe in religion
A) pagan B) rationalist C) philatelistD) atheist

D) An extremely deep crack or opening in the ground
A) chasm B) aperture C) pit D) ditch

4. Write a single sentence definition for any TWO of the following terms: (2 x 1 = 2)
a) database b) software c) fuse d) screwdriver

5. Give antonyms of the following words by adding suitable negative prefixes 4 x ½ = 2)
a) consistent b) nutrition c) legible d) appropriate

6. Fill in the blanks with suitable tense forms of the verbs given in brackets4 x ½ = 2)
Stephen Hawking is one of the most brilliant theoretical physicists. He ------- (be) also a
popular writer. His first book, “A Brief History of Time” ------------- (publish) in 1988
and ------- (become) an international best seller. In it, he ------- (explain) about the birth
and death of the universe to the lay person.

7. Choose the correct form of verb that agrees with the subject: (4 x ½ = 2)
a) The Minister, together with his wife, -------- (greets, greet) the press cordially.
b) The players, as well as the captain, --------- (want, wants) to win.
c) Neither the teacher nor the students ---------- (seem, seems) to understand this
assignment.
d) One of my teachers --------- (have, has) written a letter of recommendation for me.

8. Rewrite the following short conversation in the form of a reported speech: (4 x ½ = 2)
Joseph :Good Morning sir. I need loan from your bank.
Manager : May I know why you need loan?
Joseph: I have a plan to open a medical shop in my hometown.Also,I am quite familiar
with this business.
Manager: O.K. Take this form and apply for loan. You will get a reply after a week.

9. Edit the following passage by correcting the mistakes in spelling, grammar and
punctuation: (8 x ¼ =2)
ants are social insekts and live in large, well-planned colonies. Some of these colonies
contain thousands of ants there are generally three kinds of ants in an art colony – a
queen, males and workers. The queen lay eggs all her adult life. The worker ants are
the ones who does all the work, like keeping the nest clean, getting food and looking
after the young ones. The larger ones defand the colony if there is any threat from
outside

10.Change the statements to questions using the question word in parenthesis . (4 x ½ =2)
a) The children are very sincere and they do their homework at night. (when)
b) I feel so tired since I have been waiting here for two hours. (how long)
c) I didn’t inform her about his arrival because she kept her mobile phone in the
switch off mode. (why)
d) My friend, Sam,is a rich man and he is a Software engineering in HCL. (what)

PART – ‘B’ (5 x 16 = 80 marks)
11. i) Read the passage and answer the questions given below:
Ethanol is a renewable, domestically produced transportation fuel. Whether used in lowlevel
blends, such as E10 (10% ethanol, 90% gasoline), or in E85 (a gasoline-ethanol blend
containing 51% to 83% ethanol, depending on geography and season), ethanol helps
reduce imported oil and greenhouse gas emissions. Like any alternative fuel, there are
some considerations to take into account when contemplating the use of ethanol.
About two-thirds of U.S. petroleum demand is in the transportation sector. Approximately
half of U.S. petroleum is imported. Depending heavily on foreign petroleum supplies puts
the United States at risk for trade deficits, supply disruption, and price changes. The
Renewable Fuels Association's 2012 Ethanol Industry Outlookcalculated that in 2011 the
ethanol industry replaced the gasoline produced from more than 485 million barrels of
imported oil. Ethanol represents 25% of domestically produced and refined motor fuel for
gasoline engines.
A gallon of ethanol contains less energy than a gallon of gasoline. The result is lower fuel
economy than a gallon of gasoline. The amount of energy difference varies depending on
the blend. For example, E85 has about 27% less energy per gallon than gasoline (mileage
penalty lessens as ethanol content decreases). However, because ethanol is a high-octane
fuel, it offers increased vehicle power and performance.
Ethanol production creates jobs in rural areas where employment opportunities are
needed. According to Renewable Fuels Association, ethanol production in 2011 supported
more than 400,000 jobs across the country, $42.4 billion to the gross domestic product, and
$29.9 billion in household income.
The carbon dioxide released when ethanol is burned is balanced by the carbon dioxide
captured when the crops are grown to make ethanol. This differs from petroleum, which is
made from plants that grew millions of years ago. On a life cycle analysis basis, cornbased
ethanol production and use reduces greenhouse gas emissions (GHGs) by up to 52%
compared to gasoline production and use. Cellulosic ethanol use could reduce GHGs by as
much as 86%.
Low-level ethanol blends are already in more than 95% of the gasoline sold in the United
States. Low-level blends require no special fueling equipment and can be used in any
gasoline vehicle. E85 fueling equipment is only slightly different than petroleum fueling
equipment, but the costs are higher. FFVs are available nationwide as standard equipment
with no incremental costs, making them an affordable alternative fuel vehicle option.
However, because most U.S. ethanol plants are concentrated in the Midwest, fueling
stations offering E85 are predominately located in the Corn Belt states. More and more
states are installing E85 every day. Find E85 fuelling stations in your area.
Select the correct response for the following questions based on the passage: (8 x 1 = 8)
1) Ethanol is environment friendly because its use
A) reduces greenhouse emissions.
B) cleans the air.
C)kills bacteria.
D)activates the growth of the plants.
2) The main idea of the passage is that
A) ethanol production is not a complicated process.
B) ethanol production is the only solution to the problems of the rural community.
C) US shows little interest in the production of ethanol.
D) ethanol is the viable solution to the growing needs of the transportation industry.
3) High-octane fuel means that
A) it ensures high speed of the vehicle.
B) it ensures higher performance of the engine.
C) it protects the vehicles from accidents.
D) it has no pollutants.
4) According to the passage, which of the following is true?
A) E10 is the brand name of a car
B) E10 is the low level ethanol blend
C) E10 is not a transportation fuel
D) E10 is available in almost all fueling stations in US
5) The word ‘contemplate’ in the first paragraph refers to
A) formulating a policy for ethanol production
B) designing a process for ethanol
C) thinking deeply about the choice of ethanol
D) worrying about the customers
6) Which one of the following does not need special fueling equipment in vehicles?
A) E85
B) E10
C) E20
D) E25
7) What do you infer from the second paragraph of the passage?
A) Ethanol production in US can reduce a considerable percentage of oil imports.
B) The import of petroleum from other countries has no impact on US economy.
C) US can achieve self-sufficiency in oil production.
D) US has lost its prestige by importing petroleum for domestic use.
8) What is the attitude of the writer towards ethanol production?
A) Ethanol production will solve the problems of the people in urban areas.
B) It is a boon to the poverty stricken people.
C) It is an expensive process.
D) It is useful in view of the benefits like clean environment, employment
opportunities, and better economic situation.
11. ii) Read the excerpts from an interview with the former President of India APJ Abdul Kalam
and answer the questions given below:

Today, greatness is largely measured by material wealth, and this in turn brings
about discontent in society. Do you feel there is a need for us to shun materialism as
your father and elders did?
I studied till High School in British India. In 1947, we got freedom and I started living in
India’s India. I have seen various transformations in society, be it the economy or the value
system. While our economy is developing, we need citizens with ethics and a value
system. For the last 10 years I’ve been promoting an idea called Evolution of Enlightened
Citizens. It has three dimensions. One is education with value system. This comes from the
family, or may be from a primary school teacher. After all, the evolution of enlightened
citizens is essential for India and the world. Second, the dimension is economic prosperity.
Third, religion should transform into a spiritual force. I advocate these three.
I have given lectures in our Parliament, addressed the European parliament of 23 nations, a
pan-African parliament of 53 nations, and the Korean parliament. I am not saying the
Indian value system should be taken to other countries. They also have great leaders and
traditions based on their value system. I believe that one’s value system, the joint family
system, economic growth and different religions transforming into a spiritual force are
vital. That’s why I have shared this at various interactive forums.

Your work gives pre-eminence to inspiring and changing the thought pattern of the
youth. However, as we see the country deluged with problems such as hunger,
disease, deteriorating environment and unfit living conditions, how long will it take to
see change, or is it already visible?
Thought is the seed of action. Thought is as ancient as Socrates. Tiruvalluvar, 2,200 years
ago, has also said that…That’s why I proposed in Parliament that we need India Vision
2020. That is, by 2020, India should become economically developed. Even now, it’s not
too late. Parliament should consider how it can activate the vision for the nation, so
prosperity can be aimed at. Our priority should be to use PURA – ‘providing urban
amenities in rural areas’. Our farmers are producing 250 million tonnes of food. But we
don’t do value addition, which means greater export potential. We are leading producers of
fruits and vegetables but we don’t process these as juice or packaged food. And third, of
course, small scale industries which are spread across the country.

Are you in touch with the PURA projects, and are these showing results?
I have seen in Madhya Pradesh, the Chitrakoot PURA founded by NanajiDeshmukh. He is
a pioneer and they are doing very well, more than 500 villages are connected, and there is
prosperity. Another one I saw in Maharashtra, Warana PURA. There is no poverty there,
because the cooperative movement is doing very well. And the third I have seen in Tamil
Nadu at Vallam, Thanjavur.I am in touch with these three, and visit them often. But apart
from that, the Government of India has started a few PURAs with public-private
participation. The number of PURAs is increasing. But it has to be fast. After all, there are
600,000 villages; we have to establish 7000 PURAs in 10-15 years’ time. We have less
than 100.

Your writing reflects great contentment, yet this never stops you from action.
God helps only those who work hard. There is nothing like contentment. Success is not the
ultimate aim. However, at no time should you allow your problems to overwhelm you. I
can’t say that I am content, because I meet 80,000 to 100,000 youth a month. I know their
dreams, their pain. A nation without a vision dies. Parliament has to give this vision.

Write short answers for the following questions: (4 x 2 = 8)
1) Kalam says: ‘A nation without vision dies.’ Comment on this statement.
2) How do PURA projects make the country achieve economic prosperity?
3) India Vision 2020 is only a dream which cannot be achieved. Do you agree with this
view? Justify your view.
4) What will be the future of India after a period of ten years?

Quick Reply
Your Username: Click here to log in