2023 2024 Student Forum > Management Forum > Main Forum

12th September 2017, 02:50 PM
Super Moderator

Re: Andhra University Bsc Biochemistry Syllabus

As you are looking for Andhra University B.sc Biochemistry program Syllabus, so on your demand I am sharing with you:

SEMESTER- I
Theory- BCT-101: Biomolecules
Unit-I : Biophysical concepts
Unit-II : Carbohydrates
Unit-III: Lipids
Unit-IV: Amino acids and Peptides
Unit-V : Proteins
Practical BCP- 101: Qualitative Analysis

SEMESTER - II
Theory BCT-201: Nucleic acids and Biochemical Techniques
Unit-I : Nucleic Acids
Unit-II: Porphyrins
Unit-III: Biochemical Techniques I
Unit IV: Biochemical Techniques II
Unit-V: Techniques employed in metabolic studies
Practical BCP-201 : Isolations and Biochemical Techniques

SEMESTER - III
Theory BCT-301: Enzymology and Bioenergetics
Unit-I:Classification of Enzymes and Structure
Unit-II: Influence of Physical factors and Inhibitors on Enzyme activity
Unit- III: Mechanism of enzyme action
Unit-IV: Bioenergetics
Unit-V: Biological Oxidations in Mitochondria
Practical BCP-301: Enzymology

SEMESTER- IV
Theory BCT-401: Intermediary Metabolism
Unit -I:Carbohydrates Metabolism
Unit-II:Lipid Metabolism
Unit-III: Metabolism of Amino acids
Unit-IV: Nitrogen Fixation
Unit-V: Metabolism of Nucleic acids and heme
Practical BCP-401 : Quantitative Analysis

Andhra University B.sc Biochemistry program Syllabus

Unit I : Biophysical Concepts 12 hours
Water as a biological solvent and its role in biological processes. Biological relevance of pH, measurement of pH, pKa of functional groups in biopolymers such as proteins and nucleic acids. Importance of buffers in biological systems, ion selective electrodes, and oxygen electrode. Donnan membrane equilibrium. Significance of osmotic pressure in biological systems,

Unit II : Carbohydrates 12 hours
Carbohydrates: Classification, monosaccharides, D and L designation, open chain and cyclic structures, epimers and anomers,mutarotation, reactions of carbohydrates (due to functional groups - hydroxyl , aldehyde and ketone). Amino sugars, Glycosides. Structure and biological importance of disaccharides (sucrose, lactose, maltose, isomaltose, trehalose), trisaccharides (raffinose, melezitose), structural polysaccharides (cellulose, chitin, pectin) and storage polysaccharides (starch, inulin, glycogen). Glycosaminoglycans, Bacterial cell wall polysaccharides. Outlines of glycoproteins, glycolipids and blood group substances.

Unit III Lipids 12 hours
Lipids: Classification, saturated and unsaturated fatty acids, structure and properties of fats and oils (acid, saponificition and iodine values, rancidity). General properties and structures of phospholipids, sphingolipids and cholesterol. Prostaglandins- structure and biological role of PGD2,PGE2 and PGF2 . Lipoproteins: Types and functions
Biomembranes: Behavior of amphipathic lipids in water- formation of micelles, bilayers, vesicles, liposomes. Membrane composition and organization – Fluid mosaic model.

Unit-IV : Amino Acids and Peptides 12 hours
Amino Acids: Classification, structure, stereochemistry, chemical reactions of amino acids due to carbonyl and amino groups. Titration curve of glycine and pK values. Essential and non-essential amino acids, non-protein amino acids. Peptide bond - nature and conformation. Naturally occurring peptides – glutathione, enkephalin.

Unit-V : Proteins 12 hours
Proteins: Classification based on solubility, shape and function. Determination of amino acid composition of proteins. General properties of proteins, denaturation and renaturation of proteins. Structural organization of proteins- primary, secondary, tertiary and quaternary structures (Eg. Hemoglobin and Myoglobin), forces stabilizing the structure of protein. Outlines of protein sequencing.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Andhra University B.sc Biochemistry program Syllabus.doc (188.5 KB, 108 views)

Tags
andhra university

Quick Reply
Your Username: Click here to log in