2023 2024 Student Forum > Management Forum > Main Forum

16th June 2015, 11:44 AM
Super Moderator

Re: Alagappa University M.sc IT Syllabus

Alagappa University was established in the year 1985. It is located at Karaikudi, Tamil Nadu, India . It is affiliated to UGC .

It provides two year duration M.Sc - Information Technology course .

Semester-I
Core – I – Principles of Information Technology
Core – II – C and Data Structure
Core – III – JAVA Programming
Core – IV – Java Programming Lab

Semester-II
Core – V – Computer Networks
Core – VI – RDBMS
Core – VII – Distributed Operating system
Core – VIII – RDBMS Lab
Elective – II
Elective – III

Semester-III
Core – IX – TCP / IP
Core – X – .Net Technology
Core – XI – Wireless Communication
Core – XII – .Net Technology Lab

Semester-IV
Core-XIII –Project work

I YEAR – I SEMESTER
COURSE CODE: 1MIT1C1

CORE COURSE I – PRINCIPLES OF INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY

Unit I

An overview of the revolution computers and Communications: From the analog to the digital age: The “New Story” of computers and communications – The basic elements of a computer & communication system – Communications: Development in Computer Technology, Developments in Communication Technology – Computer and Communication technology combined: Connectivity and Interactivity – The “All Purpose Machine”: The information Appliance that will change your future – The Ethics of Information Technology.

Unit II

Application Software: Tools for thinking and working – Ethics and intellectual property rights: The four types of Application software – the user interface and other basic features – word processing – Spreadsheets – Database software – Presentation graphics software – communications software – Desktop accessories and personal information managers – integrated software and suites – Groupware internet web browsers – Specialized software.

Unit III

Communications: Starting along the information Highway: The practical uses of communication and connectivity – telephone related communication services – Video/ voice communication. Video conferencing and picture phones – Online information services – The Internet – Shared resources: Workgroup computing – Electronic Data interchange and intranets: Telecommuting and virtual offices – using a microcomputer to communicate: Analog and Digital signal – modems and data communication software – ISBN lines – Cable Modems – Communication channels – Communication Networks – Local Networks – Factors affecting data transmission – Cyberethics – Netiquette – Controversial and censorship and privacy issues.

Unit IV

Storage and Databases: Foundations for interactivity, multimedia and Knowledge storage capacity – compression and decompression – criteria for rating secondary storage devices – Diskettes – Hard Disks – Optical Disks – Magnetic Tapes – Organising data in secondary storage: Databases, Data Storage – Hierarchy and the concept of the key field – File management – Basic concepts – File management systems – Data Management systems – Types of database organization – Features of DBMS – The Ethics of using Database – Concerns about accuracy and privacy.

Unit V

Information System and Software Development: Management Information Systems – The six phases of system analysis design – The five steps in programming – five generations of programming languages – Programming languages – Object oriented and Visual programming– Internet programming – HTML, XML, Java and ActiveX – The information super Highway – Security Issues.

Text Books

1. Satcey C. Sawyer, Brain K. Williams Sarah E Hutchinson using Information Technology – Brief version A practical introduction to computer and communications– 2nd edition McGraw Hill.
2. Satcey C. Sawyer, Brain K. Williams Sarah E Hutchinson using Information Technology – Brief version A practical introduction to computer and communications– 3rd edition McGraw Hill.

I YEAR – I SEMESTER
COURSE CODE: 1MIT1C2

CORE COURSE II – C AND DATA STRUCTURE

Unit I
Program development styles and Basics of C. The C declarations – The C character set, Delimiters, The C Keywords, Identifiers, Constants, Variables, Rules for defining variables, C aggregate data types, declaring variables, initializing variables, Type conversion. Operators and expressions. Input and output in C – formatted functions – unformatted functions, commonly used library functions.

Unit II
Decision Statements – The If statement, The if…else statement, Nested if…. Else statement, The break statement, The continue statement, The goto statement, The switch statement, Nested switch() case statement, The switch() case and nested ifs. Loop control statements – The for statement, Nested for statement, The while statement, The do … while statement.

Unit III
Arrays – Array initialization, Definition of Array, Characteristic of Array, One dimensional array, Predefined streams, Two dimensional array, Multidimensional arrays, The sscanf() and sprintf() functions. Working with strings and standard functions. Pointers – Features of Pointers, pointer declaration, Arithmetic operation with pointers, Pointers and Arrays, Pointers and two dimensional arrays, Arrays of Pointers, Pointers to Pointers, Pointers and strings.

Unit IV
Linear Data Structure – Introduction to data structure, List, Implementation of a list, Traversal of a list, Searching and retrieving an element. Predecessor and successor, Insertion, Deletion, sorting, merging lists, Representation of Stack, Stack related terms, Operation on a stack, Implementation of a stack, Queues, various positions of queue, Representation of Queues, Single linked list, linked list with and without header, Insertion, deletion, Double linked list, applications.

Unit V
Non-Linear data structure – Trees, Binary trees, types of binary trees, binary tree representation, Traversing binary trees, Binary search tree, Insertion and deletion operations, Hashing Techniques. Searching and Sorting – Introduction, Searching, linear search, Binary search, sorting, Insertion sort, selection sort, Bubble sort, Quick sort, Tree sort.

Text Books

1. Ashok N Kamthane, Programming and Data structure, Pearson Edition 2004
2. Robert L Kruse, Bruce P. Leung C.L.Tondo, Data Structures and Program Design in C, PHI 1999

I YEAR – I SEMESTER
COURSE CODE: 1MIT1C3

CORE COURSE III – JAVA PROGRAMMING

Unit I

Introduction: Introduction to java – Java and Internet – Byte codes – Features of Java – Java development Environment – Java character set – operators – control statements – simple programs.

Unit II

Object Orientation in Java: Classes – Methods – Inheritance – Packages – Interfaces – programming examples.
Exception Handling: Fundamentals – Exception types – Try catch block – throw, throw clause – finally – user defined Exceptions.

Unit III

Threads: Thread model – Thread priorities – Runnable interface – creating a thread, multiple threads – Synchronization – interthread communication – suspending, resuming and stopping threads.

Unit IV

Input/Output: String handling – Exploring java io. Package.
Applets: Applet basics – AWT classes – Window fundamentals – working with frame windows – graphics – AWT controls – Swing – Layout Managers – Menus – Event Handling.

Unit V

Java Networking: Basics – Socket overview – TCP/IP client sockets, TCP/IP server sockets– URL – Datagram sockets.
Concepts of Advanced Java Programming: JAVA SCRIPTS – Servlets – JDBC – EJB – JSP.

Text Book

1. Patrick aughton, Herbert Schildt, “JAVA2- The complete reference” Tata McGraw Hill Fifth Edition, New Delhi 2002

Reference Books

1. Deitel H M and Deiltel P J “JAVA – How to Program “ Pearson Education , New Delhi 2003
2. Hubbard John R, “Schaum’s Outline of Theory and Problems of Programming with Java” Tata Mcgraw Hill, Second Edition, New Delhi 2004
3. Chitra A “Internet and Java Programming” ISTE 2002.
I YEAR – I SEMESTER
COURSE CODE: 1MIT1P1

CORE COURSE IV – JAVA PROGRAMMING LAB

1. Demonstrate the Program structure of Java
2. Demonstrate the String Operations
3. Demonstrate Package Creation and use in Program
4. Demonstrate Inner Class
5. Demonstrate Inheritance
6. Demonstrate 2D Shapes on Frames
7. Demonstrate Text and Fonts
8. Demonstrate Event Handling for various types of Events
9. Multicasting Techniques
10. Swing Components
11. Demonstrate the use of Dialog Box
12. Create a Dialog Box
13. Create a Tool Bar, Menu & Popup Menu
14. Implement File Handlings
15. Demonstrate Applet Programming
16. Implement Generic Programming
17. Demonstrate JDBC on Applet/Application
18. Demonstrate Multithreading

I YEAR – I SEMESTER
COURSE CODE: 1MIT1E1

ELECTIVE COURSE I (A) – PROBABILITY AND STATISTICS

Unit I

Sample Space: Events – Probability – Probability axioms – Addition and Multiplication Laws of Probabilities – conditional probability – Independent events – Baye’s Theorem

Unit II

Random Variables: Distribution functions – Joint Probability distribution – Marginal and conditional Distribution – Mathematical exception – Moment Generating Functions.

Unit III

Discrete Distribution: Binomial and Poisson – Continuous Distribution: Uniform, Exponential and Normal – Correlation and Regression.

Unit IV

Testing Hypothesis: Test based on normal population – Application of Chi-square, Student’s-T, F-Distributions – Chi-square Test – Goodness of fit – Test based on mean, variance, correlation and regression coefficients.

Unit V

Time Series: Analysis of time series – Measurement of trend and sequential variations – Analysis of Variance – Design of experiments – Randomised block design and latin square design.

Text Books

1. S.C.Gupta, V.K. Kapoor, Fundamentals of Mathematical Statistics, Sultan & Chand 1983
2. S.C.Gupta, V.K.Kapoor, Fundamentals of Applied Statistics, Sultan & Chand, 1978.

I YEAR – I SEMESTER
COURSE CODE: 1MIT1E2

ELECTIVE COURSE I (B) – OBJECT ORIENTED ANALYSIS AND DESIGN

Unit I
Introduction to Object Oriented Development – Modeling as a design technique: Modeling – Object Modeling Techniques – Object Modeling: Objects and Classes – Links and associations – Advanced Link and Association concepts – Generalisation and Inheritance – Grouping Constructs – a simple object model – Advanced object modeling: Aggregation – Abstract Classes – Generalisation as extension and restriction – Multiple Inheritance –Metadata – Candidate Keys and Constraints.

Unit II
Dynamic Modeling
Events and States – Operations – Nested state diagram – Concurrence – Advanced dynamic modeling concepts – A simple dynamic model – Relation of object and dynamic models – functional modeling – Functional models – Data flow diagrams – Specifying operation – constraints – A simple functional model – relation of functional to object and dynamic models.

Unit III
Analysis
Overview of Analysis – Problem statement – Automated Teller Machine example – Object Modeling – Dynamic Modeling – Functional Modeling – Adding Operations – Iterating the Analysis.

Unit IV
System Design
Overview of System Design – Breaking system into subsystems – Identifying Concurrency – Allocation subsystems to processes and tasks – Management of Data stores – Handling boundary condition – Setting trade-off priorities – Common Architectural frameworks –Architecture of ATM system.

Unit V
Object Design
Overview of Object Design – Combining the three models – Designing algorithms – Design optimization – Implementation of control – Adjustment of Inheritance – Design of Associations – Object Representation – Physical Packaging – Document Design Decisions.

Text Book
James Rumbaugh, Michael Blaha, William Premerlani, Fredrick Eddy, William Loreson, Object Oriented Modelling and Design, PHI 1998

Reference Book
Grady Booch, Object Analysis and Design with Applications, Addison Wesley Publishing Company 2000

I YEAR – I SEMESTER
COURSE CODE: 1MIT1E3

ELECTIVE COURSE I (C) – APPLIED MATHEMATICS FOR COMPUTER SCIENCE

Unit I

Logic: IF Statements – Connectives – Atomic and Compound Statements – WFF – Truth Table of a Formula – Tautology – Tautological Implications and Equivalence of Formulae.

Unit II

Normal Forms – Principal Normal Forms – Theory of Inference – Open Statements – Quantifiers – Valid Formulae and Equivalence – Theory of Inference for Predicate Calculus.

Unit III

Graph Theory: Basic Concepts – Matrix representation of Graphs: Trees: Definition – Spanning Trees – Rooted Trees – Binary Trees

Unit IV

Linear Programming Problem: Mathematical Formulation – Graphical Solution – Slack and Artificial Variables – Simplex method – Two phase method.

Unit V

Transportation Problem – Transportation Table – Solution of Transportation Problem – Testing for Optimality – Assignment Problem – The Assignment Method – Special Cases in Assignment Problems.

Text Books

1. Discrete Mathematics – Dr. M.K.Venkataraman, Dr N.Sridharan, N.Chandrasekaran – The National Publishing Company (Unit I, II and III)
2. Operation Research – Kantiswarap, P.K.Gupta, Man Mohan – Sultan Chand & Sons (2005)

Reference Book

1. Discrete Mathematical Structures with Applications to Computer science – J.P.Trembley, R.Manohar Tata McGraw Hill.

I YEAR – II SEMESTER
COURSE CODE: 1MIT2C1

CORE COURSE V – COMPUTER NETWORKS

Unit I

Introduction: The use of a Computer Networks – Network structures – Network Architectures– The OSI reference model – Services

Unit II

The Physical layer: The Theoretical basis for data communication – Transmission media – Analog Transmission – Digital Transmission – Transmission and Switching – Integrated Service Digital Network (ISDN) – Terminal Handling.

Unit III

The Medium Access Sub Layer: Local and Metropolitan Area Network – The ALOHA protocols. The Data Link Layer: Data Link Layer Design Issues – Error Detection and correction – Elementary data link protocols.

Unit IV

The Network Layer: Network layer design issues – Routing algorithms – Congestion control algorithm. The Transport Layer: Transport layer design issues – Connection management. The Session Layer: The Session Layer design issues – Remote Procedure Call.

Unit V

The Presentation Layer: Presentation Layer design issues – Abstract Syntax Notation – Data Compression Techniques – Cryptography. The Application layer: Application Layer design issues – File transfer, access and management – Electronic Mail – Virtual Terminals – Other Applications.

Text Book

Andrew S Tanenbaum – Computer Networks PHI

Reference Books

1. P.Green – Computer Network Architecture and Protocols, Plenum 1982
2. Harry Katzan – An introduction to distributed Data processing, A Petrocelli Book Network.

I YEAR – II SEMESTER
COURSE CODE: 1MIT2C2

CORE COURSE VI – RDBMS

Unit I
Introduction – Organization of Databases – Components of DBMS – Data Models – Entity Relationship Model – Basic file systems: Introduction – Secondary storage devices – Files and Buffer Management – File organization – Sequential File organization – Indexed file – Indexed Sequential file organization – Creation and manipulation of indexed sequential file organization – Hashing – key to address transfer – Overflow management in hashed files.

Unit II
B-Tree based Indexed file organization – Secondary indexes: Organization and usage – File organization based on dynamic hashing with deferred splitting – Linear Splitting.

Unit III
Relational Data Model – Relational Algebra – ISBL – Relational Calculus – The Domain Calculus System – SQL – Relational Database design: Integrity constraints – Functional dependency – Logical Implication of Dependency – Normal forms – Decomposition of Relational Schemes – Design Procedures.

Unit IV
Security: Introduction – Access Control – Crypto system – Statistical database Security – Concurrency control and databases Recovery: Transaction – Database system Architecture –Serialization – Locking – Non-Locking Schedules – Database Recovery.

Unit V
Oracle Fundamentals: Elements of SQL language: Database objects, Data Access SQL commands, DML commands – oracle queries – Basic query, using Expressions, working with Null values, joining multiple tables in a query – selecting values using sub queries, unions – Multiple part queries – create table statement – Privileges required – describing table definitions – modifying tables – renaming a table – copying another table – dropping a table –other database objects – reason for other database objects – Indexed-Embedded SQL: languages supported by oracle precompiler, Embedded SQL commands

Reference Books

1. Arun K Manjumdar and Pritimoy Bhattacharya – Database Management System – Tata Mc Graw Hill Publishing Co. Ltd. 1996
2. Rajshekhar Suderraman, Oracle 9i Programming A primer, Pearson Education 2004
3. Lannes Morris, Murphy, Oracle 9i: SQL – with an introduction to PL/SQL Course Technology, 2002.

I YEAR – II SEMESTER
COURSE CODE: 1MIT2C3

CORE COURSE VII – DISTRIBUTED OPERATING SYSTEM

Unit I
Introduction: Operating System – Batch System – Time Sharing – Personal Computer System– Parallel Systems – Real Time Systems – Distributed Systems – Computer System Operation – I/O Structure – Storage Structure – Storage Hierarchy – Hardware Protection – General System Architecture – System Components Operating System Services – System calls – System programs – System structure – Virtual machines.

Unit II
Process Management: Process Concept – Process scheduling – operations on processes – cooperating processes – Interprocess communication – Threads overview – benefits – user and kernel threads – Multithreading models – CPU scheduling concepts – Scheduling criteria– Scheduling Algorithms.

Unit III
Multiple processor scheduling – Real time scheduling – Thread scheduling – Process synchronization – Critical section program – Two task solutions – synchronization hardware – Semaphores – classical synchronization – Monitors – Deadlocks – System model – Deadlock characterization – methods for handling deadlocks – Deadlock prevention – Deadlock avoidance – Deadlock detection – Recovery from deadlock.

Unit IV
Storage Management: Memory Management – Swapping – Contiguous memory allocation – paging – Segmentation with paging – Virtual Memory – Demand paging – Page replacement– Allocation of frames – Thrashing.

Unit V
File and I/O Management: File concepts – Access Methods – Directory structure – Allocation methods – Free space management – Directory implementation – Efficiency and performance– Disk Structure – Disk Scheduling – Disk Management – Swap – Space Management – Disk Reliability – Stable Storage implementation – Tertiary Storage Structure.

Text Book
A Silberschatz Peter Galvin and Greg Gagne, “Applied Operating System Concepts”, John Wiley & Sons, 2000

Reference Books
1. James L. Peterson and Abraham Silberschatz, Operating System Concepts Addison Wesley
2. Andrew S. Tanenbaum, Operating System Design and Implementation, PHI
3. Harvey M. Deitel, An introduction to Operating System, Addison Wesley.

I YEAR – II SEMESTER
COURSE CODE: 1MIT2P1

CORE COURSE VIII – RDBMS LAB

1. SQL: Table Creation and Manipulation
2. Procedures, Functions and Package
3. Triggers
4. Form Design
5. Students Information: Creation and Retrieval
6. Student Information: Retrieval using Cursor
7. Inventory Control System: Updation using Triggers
8. Reservation System: Usage of functions and Procedures
9. Train Information System: Usage of Menus
10. Creation Reports for the above Problems.

For detailed syllabus , here is the attachment

Contact Details :
Alagappa University
Alagappa Puram
Karaikudi, Tamil Nadu 630003

Quick Reply
Your Username: Click here to log in