2023 2024 Student Forum > Management Forum > Main Forum

8th December 2014, 10:49 AM
Super Moderator

Re: 1st Sem question papers Anna University

Below I am providing you some questions of from question paper of Technical English First Semester of Anna University and attaching a PDF attachment which has detail information regarding this that you can down load for free:

4. Write a single sentence definition for any TWO of the following terms: (2 x 1 = 2)
a) database b) software c) fuse d) screwdriver
5. Give antonyms of the following words by adding suitable negative prefixes 4 x ½ = 2)
a) consistent b) nutrition c) legible d) appropriate
6. Fill in the blanks with suitable tense forms of the verbs given in brackets4 x ½ = 2)
Stephen Hawking is one of the most brilliant theoretical physicists. He ------- (be) also a
popular writer. His first book, “A Brief History of Time” ------------- (publish) in 1988
and ------- (become) an international best seller. In it, he ------- (explain) about the birth
and death of the universe to the lay person.
7. Choose the correct form of verb that agrees with the subject: (4 x ½ = 2)
a) The Minister, together with his wife, -------- (greets, greet) the press cordially.
b) The players, as well as the captain, --------- (want, wants) to win.
c) Neither the teacher nor the students ---------- (seem, seems) to understand this
assignment.
d) One of my teachers --------- (have, has) written a letter of recommendation for me.

8. Rewrite the following short conversation in the form of a reported speech: (4 x ½ = 2)
Joseph :Good Morning sir. I need loan from your bank.
Manager : May I know why you need loan?
Joseph: I have a plan to open a medical shop in my hometown.Also,I am quite familiar
with this business.
Manager: O.K. Take this form and apply for loan. You will get a reply after a week.
9. Edit the following passage by correcting the mistakes in spelling, grammar and
punctuation: (8 x ¼ =2)
ants are social insekts and live in large, well-planned colonies. Some of these colonies
contain thousands of ants there are generally three kinds of ants in an art colony – a
queen, males and workers. The queen lay eggs all her adult life. The worker ants are
the ones who does all the work, like keeping the nest clean, getting food and looking
after the young ones. The larger ones defand the colony if there is any threat from
outside
10.Change the statements to questions using the question word in parenthesis . (4 x ½ =2)
a) The children are very sincere and they do their homework at night. (when)
b) I feel so tired since I have been waiting here for two hours. (how long)
c) I didn’t inform her about his arrival because she kept her mobile phone in the
switch off mode. (why)
d) My friend, Sam,is a rich man and he is a Software engineering in HCL. (what)
PART – ‘B’ (5 x 16 = 80 marks)
11. i) Read the passage and answer the questions given below:
Ethanol is a renewable, domestically produced transportation fuel. Whether used in lowlevel
blends, such as E10 (10% ethanol, 90% gasoline), or in E85 (a gasoline-ethanol blend
containing 51% to 83% ethanol, depending on geography and season), ethanol helps
reduce imported oil and greenhouse gas emissions. Like any alternative fuel, there are
some considerations to take into account when contemplating the use of ethanol.
About two-thirds of U.S. petroleum demand is in the transportation sector. Approximately
half of U.S. petroleum is imported. Depending heavily on foreign petroleum supplies puts
the United States at risk for trade deficits, supply disruption, and price changes. The
Renewable Fuels Association's 2012 Ethanol Industry Outlookcalculated that in 2011 the
ethanol industry replaced the gasoline produced from more than 485 million barrels of
imported oil. Ethanol represents 25% of domestically produced and refined motor fuel for
gasoline engines.
A gallon of ethanol contains less energy than a gallon of gasoline. The result is lower fuel
economy than a gallon of gasoline. The amount of energy difference varies depending on
the blend. For example, E85 has about 27% less energy per gallon than gasoline (mileage
penalty lessens as ethanol content decreases). However, because ethanol is a high-octane
fuel, it offers increased vehicle power and performance.
Ethanol production creates jobs in rural areas where employment opportunities are
needed. According to Renewable Fuels Association, ethanol production in 2011 supported
more than 400,000 jobs across the country, $42.4 billion to the gross domestic product, and
$29.9 billion in household income.
The carbon dioxide released when ethanol is burned is balanced by the carbon dioxide
captured when the crops are grown to make ethanol. This differs from petroleum, which is
made from plants that grew millions of years ago. On a life cycle analysis basis, cornbased
ethanol production and use reduces greenhouse gas emissions (GHGs) by up to 52%
compared to gasoline production and use. Cellulosic ethanol use could reduce GHGs by as
much as 86%.
Low-level ethanol blends are already in more than 95% of the gasoline sold in the United
States. Low-level blends require no special fueling equipment and can be used in any
gasoline vehicle. E85 fueling equipment is only slightly different than petroleum fueling
equipment, but the costs are higher. FFVs are available nationwide as standard equipment
with no incremental costs, making them an affordable alternative fuel vehicle option.
However, because most U.S. ethanol plants are concentrated in the Midwest, fueling
stations offering E85 are predominately located in the Corn Belt states. More and more
states are installing E85 every day. Find E85 fuelling stations in your area.
Select the correct response for the following questions based on the passage: (8 x 1 = 8)
1) Ethanol is environment friendly because its use
A) reduces greenhouse emissions.
B) cleans the air.
C)kills bacteria.
D)activates the growth of the plants.
2) The main idea of the passage is that
A) ethanol production is not a complicated process.
B) ethanol production is the only solution to the problems of the rural community.
C) US shows little interest in the production of ethanol.
D) ethanol is the viable solution to the growing needs of the transportation industry.
3) High-octane fuel means that
A) it ensures high speed of the vehicle.
B) it ensures higher performance of the engine.
C) it protects the vehicles from accidents.
D) it has no pollutants.
4) According to the passage, which of the following is true?
A) E10 is the brand name of a car
B) E10 is the low level ethanol blend
C) E10 is not a transportation fuel
D) E10 is available in almost all fueling stations in US
5) The word ‘contemplate’ in the first paragraph refers to
A) formulating a policy for ethanol production
B) designing a process for ethanol
C) thinking deeply about the choice of ethanol
D) worrying about the customers
6) Which one of the following does not need special fueling equipment in vehicles?
A) E85
B) E10
C) E20
D) E25
7) What do you infer from the second paragraph of the passage?
A) Ethanol production in US can reduce a considerable percentage of oil imports.
B) The import of petroleum from other countries has no impact on US economy.
C) US can achieve self-sufficiency in oil production.
D) US has lost its prestige by importing petroleum for domestic use.
8) What is the attitude of the writer towards ethanol production?
A) Ethanol production will solve the problems of the people in urban areas.
B) It is a boon to the poverty stricken people.
C) It is an expensive process.
D) It is useful in view of the benefits like clean environment, employment
opportunities, and better economic situation.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 1st Sem question papers Anna University.pdf (100.9 KB, 119 views)

Quick Reply
Your Username: Click here to log in